Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #101
Traveling

I often wonder if "some dealers" use that as an excuse. I have not had to wait on Redwood, and our dealership has not had to wait on Redwood. They have been quick to respond. It seems to be the same old line, "We are waiting on Redwood". I am not sure that's always the case... And yes, definitely the service facility shouldn't have your rig in there at all until they are ready to go. We are waiting on the shipment of replacement awning LEDs and THEN they will make our appointment. They got RW's approval in a couple days. It's the parts that sometimes take longer, but they call and say that parts will arrive on X date and our service appt is booked after that. We are in and out.

ALSO: there is a lot of theft and damage on dealer lots... be careful!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #102

Found out today that the "crack" at the "H" under the bedroom slide is not a crack at all...turns out the bottom mount on the Swintek unit has come loose or was always loose and is pushing the side out at the "H" which just happens to be right there. Also, I want to thank several on this forum for their insights on this problem. The factory is involved and dealing with Explore USA, Ft. Worth on my behalf. I may be back in my unit way before the original 6-8 week estimated.

Thanks to all!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #103

Didn't want to start another thread on the gelcoat cracking, so re-opened this one for history. Just this past weekend when replacing all the darned channel seals around the slides, I noticed my rig finally got the dreaded crack. It is running at a 45 degree angle toward the front on the street side under the bedroom slide. I used the contact form on the RW page, but just in case, who has done the fix themselves, how is it holding up and did you remove the trim piece to fix it. Also, where did you get the H/T channel? thanks.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #104
Site Team

Skip, mine has just started also. Talked to Troy (one of the really good service techs at the Rally) and he said they are no longer using the "H" channel. He said they found that over time it actually put a bit too much side pressure on the laminate. What they are using now is a piece of flat trim like the trim that frames the slide.

They are taking a Dremel with a v-bit and routing just through the outer skin. Then filling the void with an epoxy filler and screwing the trim channel over it. If you cut the trim at the right angle and then paint, it comes out looking like it was made that way.

If you call the Service Center they may be able to send you a scrap piece, you only need about 6-8"
Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Didn't want to start another thread on the gelcoat cracking, so re-opened this one for history. Just this past weekend when replacing all the darned channel seals around the slides, I noticed my rig finally got the dreaded crack. It is running at a 45 degree angle toward the front on the street side under the bedroom slide. I used the contact form on the RW page, but just in case, who has done the fix themselves, how is it holding up and did you remove the trim piece to fix it. Also, where did you get the H/T channel? thanks.

Skip and Patty,

Glad that you submitted the contact form- someone should be contacting you shortly. If you run into any problems getting answers, please let me know! I'm happy to help in any way I can!

Christian
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #106

Vaughan thanks for that info. I kept hoping that I wouldn't get the crack, but I think the last trip on some really bad roads did it in. That fix sounds like a better solution. I will have to say that mine came from the pounding of the hitch. I don't have the Trail-air and just the rubber pad. I'll see what RW has to say.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #107

Christian thank you. Really the first time i've had to contact RW about my rig, that says good things about Rw. Hope for a good outcome.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Skip, mine has just started also. Talked to Troy (one of the really good service techs at the Rally) and he said they are no longer using the "H" channel. He said they found that over time it actually put a bit too much side pressure on the laminate. What they are using now is a piece of flat trim like the trim that frames the slide.

They are taking a Dremel with a v-bit and routing just through the outer skin. Then filling the void with an epoxy filler and screwing the trim channel over it. If you cut the trim at the right angle and then paint, it comes out looking like it was made that way.

If you call the Service Center they may be able to send you a scrap piece, you only need about 6-8"
Anybody have a picture?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #109
Site Team

Skip ~ I was hoping the same thing but noticed a small crack developing after I got to the Rally. Had Troy look at it while he was replacing some slide seals.

Brad ~ I'm going to have a friend that owns a body shop do it. I'll send some pics as we do the repair.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #110

Thanks Vaughan. RW gave me two dealers in the area, one in MD and one in Va that i'm not super confident in. I asked for others and there were two mobile guys in the list.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #111
Site Team

Who in Maryland ? To my knowledge Leo's in Gambrills is no longer a dealer.

Are they going to cover it under the 5 year ?
Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #112

I wasn't going to post names, but yeah that is who they gave me in MD. Didn't say if it would be covered, told me " They can send in a warranty claim for review of possible coverage. Thank You." I've had a run in or two with Leo's, not happy with them.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #113

Called two mobile techs and they won't touch it and the one RV service center said they couldn't get me in till mid Oct and it would probably take 2-3 weeks. I have some really good epoxy, a dremel and a v-bit, and touch up paint. Can't be that difficult.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #114
Site Team

Skip - the other option would be a body shop or anyone that fixes fiberglass boats. A lot of the boat guys are mobile ......
I may go that route just to avoid having to tow her into the city to my buddy's shop.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #115

I opted out on the washer and dryer in the slide. The 36 FB and the 38 GK don,t have water lines under the bed or washer and dryers in the slide.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #116
Site Team

Buddy ~ that (washer/dryer) doesn't matter at all. The lower left corner of the opening for the bedroom slide is a stress point. It's not a question of if, but when, the crack will start. More it's pulled, more likely the crack will happen. It's not structural, is the same as getting a gel coat crack in a boat. Not a big deal and is relatively easy to fix.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Buddy ~ that (washer/dryer) doesn't matter at all. The lower left corner of the opening for the bedroom slide is a stress point. It's not a question of if, but when, the crack will start. More it's pulled, more likely the crack will happen. It's not structural, is the same as getting a gel coat crack in a boat. Not a big deal and is relatively easy to fix.
I was just reflecting on how this forum helped me, a lot of owners had the leaks under the bed, I decided not to get the models because of this problem.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #118

The fix was very easy. We were in a good spot because our lines had NOT broken yet. It became very clear, though, when we got in there that they would have very soon... it was just a design oversight. They forgot to factor in the movement of the 2nd bed slide and the effect on the "stuff" below it!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
The fix was very easy. We were in a good spot because our lines had NOT broken yet. It became very clear, though, when we got in there that they would have very soon... it was just a design oversight. They forgot to factor in the movement of the 2nd bed slide and the effect on the "stuff" below it!
Ditto for us. Wonder if that has since been corrected.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 AM   #120

I put the piece of t rail in and sealed it it's never moved after that
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote