Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2024, 01:29 AM   #1

gate valves

Hello Redwood friends,*

have any of you replaced your gate valves on the black and grey tanks? are they ALL 3" ?? *or are the grey lines smaller? *How about stacked tanks, are the drains just slip fit into the tanks, or are they connected?*

Reminder, I have a 2020 3991RD

lining up my to do list ..

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:35 PM   #2

Our Black tank has leaked by for the past 3 season, I installed a valve on the outlet just as a temporary fix and avoiding the splash on the ground when I remove the cap. I have been considering installing electric dump valves but having a hard time with a $1300 in parts to be able to dump gray water and black water from in the RV and dump it at the wet bay out side.

https://drainmaster.com/rv/product/p...-3-valves-6014
Old 04-11-2024, 01:52 AM   #3

Thanks Mark, There is NO WAY I am up to spending that much on gate valves... I believe that if they are installed properly with the proper cable length and no sharp curves that they should last a long time...
Old 04-13-2024, 04:07 PM   #4

Black tank is 3”. Grey tanks are 1 1/2”. Not bad to change. Just be sure tanks are empty or you’ll get “unknowns” on you
Old 04-13-2024, 09:44 PM   #5

I have a 2018 3901 WB and I have replaced all three valves on my tanks. On my unit the black and grey tanks are 3” and the galley is a 1-1/2”. First off you’re going to need access to your valves. I suggest that instead of trying to remove the colorplast bottom that you carefully cut a slice from side to side and see how the valves are arranged and verify their size. You can then cut a neat hole large enough for easy access to the valves and pipes. Order the 3 replacement valve bodies from Amazon. Be sure to get the valterra valves and the proper length operator cables. You can shorten the cables if needed so longer is better. You will first have to drain and flush the tanks. Then using your level up raise the trailer to make the waste tank tilt away from its drain. No remove the four bolts from each valve. The old bodies will pull out from between the pipes. Take the cables off them and reassemble each one. Now the fun part. You must be very careful when you put the new valve body back together to make sure the gasket. Are not folded over. Once you’ve got one done put in the bolts and actuate it by hand. It should move freely. Take your time and then run water and look for leaks. If you have a leak remove that valve and try again. Once they are assembled correctly they will not leak.
Now you’re ready to replace the valve cables. Don’t be afraid to drill new holes to make the cable routing as smooth as possible. You will be surprised at easy the valves operate when properly installed. Use some 1x4 pine boards and 1/2” screws to reinstall the colorplast by cutting and framing the openings and screwing the boards around the inside leaving around an inch and a half of wood showing for the plastic panel you cut out to be screwed to. You now have an easy way to access your valves on the future. Make sure you use a lot of small pan head screws to hold the panel in place. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:35 AM   #6

I had the Redwood at 2 different RV repairs facilities over the last 2 years for items needing to be repaired.. BOTH facilities said they would NOT touch the valve job as the tanks are stacked and some would need to be "dropped" in order to gain access to the other valves...

I found a mobile tech that only charges $125 an hour and is familiar with stacked tanks.... He is hired ! Hopefully will get this job handled in the next 2 weeks
Old 04-14-2024, 06:36 PM   #7

Joe , its sounds like your local RV shop want to all the easy big money jobs. The fun stuff like playing with tank valves should be a easy job in my opinion for some one that is younger then us.