Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #1

Is chucking dangerous

Probably the biggest issue we had on our virgin pull from Tampa to Nashville was the violent chucking while underway at highway speed when going over the connectors on and off bridges and over other road bumps. People and things tossed about in the TV, very scary at first, and uncomfortable once we figured out it was going to happen.

A couple things concerns me.

First, the Trail Air hitch I have on the RW says 18k GVWR. Not the 38FL delivered came in just over 16k. Adding much stuff will easily put it very close (if not over) that 18k limit. What will that hitch pin actual with stand? That seems to be very close to limits....

Next is the hitch connector on the truck. There has got to be a huge amount of force while the RW is bucking back and forth. Concerned about damage and the worst case scenario dropping the camper on the highway when this happens.

In a different thread on this forum it is clear that I need to get air bags installed on my F350 DRW TV. I want to do that but am planning to leave end of this week or worst case Monday next week to head north. I don't think I'll have time to make that happen before I need to head out.

I need to pull a total of 1,400 miles from home -> Oshkosh, WI for an airplane show -> Indiana for the rally -> back home. I can convince myself, and perhaps my DW, that the with out air bags we can do the trip provided the violent chucking is neither dangerous or has potential of damaging the RW or the TV.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken