Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

Gas furnace ducts not balanced

This morning at 25 degrees and 20 mph wind, I realized that my heat vents are not balanced. The mid bathroom blows hard, there are two in the living area, the one by the island gets warm but little air, the one in front of the couch is cold. I have removed divider and looked at furnace for disconnected flex duct but donít see any thing. Any experiences advice appreciated
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #2

Should have searched this topic, will pull the vent register and check for duct connection
Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Team

You may need to remove the storage compartment rear wall and check to see if all of the flexible ducts are connected to the rear plenum of the furnace. The are just taped onto the plenum and can become dislodged.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Update

Rechecked all connections at the plenum, no issues. Went to each vent to test for hot air, results
-mid bath room lots of flow
- bedroom, a little flow
- main bath vent under vanity, very little to no flow
- vent next to Island, a little flow
-vent near end of trailer, cold- (note this duct is same as other living room vent ) it is a hard duct, not flexible.
Conclusion- I am losing air some where between plenum and where it attaches to duct run to rooms.
Question, there is a plywood box ( several feet long and wide and maybe 18Ē tall located to the rear of the water pump. SeverL of the heat ducts go into this box....that maybe where flex duct connects to hard duct runs ..anyone know what is in this plywood box? Or contact info who would. Last winter season there was no issue and RW has not moved
Old 01-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #5

Ducts

We have a 2014 38RL. Once We estabished all the ducts were connected, I installed floor registers with adjustable dampers. No problem since.
Easy201438rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #6

Heat ducts

I "HAD" a 2016 39mb and discovered when we were getting ready to go full time we had the same issue. I took off the panel off to get to the utility area in the basement and installed a piano hinge on the center panel so I would have access anytime without removing screws. That worked well I was able to maneuver my old ass into the area and found that redwoods idea for a duct is a piece of cardboard between two pieces of aluminum frame. It had a thin piece of aluminum tape on the end which was loose therefore all the heat was blowing out there being the path of least resistance. 98 degrees in that area. Just another cost cutting measure. That helped a little but didn't solve the problem. I'm sure somewhere under the floor is a similar problem. Good luck with it my suggestion is do like I did and dump that pos redwood asap I thought I was buying one of the best but soon discovered I was wrong. That was just one of many issues. If you want to hear of other problems message me maybe I can help. Leaking slides, wheels falling off, ghosts in wiring are just a few. Pure junk.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #7

Gas furnace balance

I bought a borescope and going to look down all my ducts as I am sure that one is disconnected in a place that I canít see . I suspect the connection from round to rectangle duct is disconnected or partially disconnected. I have the divider panels out and doing battle today!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #8

Nope, a part of my problem is that two of the round flexible ducts from furnace go up and into a metal duct plenum. The issue was that though they were attached, it was with silver duct tape and the full weight of the two duct was hanging from the tape. Leaving a 1” gap about 10” long so much heated air was escaping into the basement. It took my brother and I about 30 minutes to cut a piece of wood 17 5/8” long x 3.25 “w, , retape the joint and fasten the wood to make duct secure.. something factory could have done.Just saying but this is crappy workmanship as well as the RW corporate Quality Control department. Over all I really like my RW so I will just add this to my list of quality issues that I have uncovered over the last 12 months. You just would not find these issues in a RW from 2013. My brother’s 2013 next door duct arrangement was correct. I still cannot get proper air flow to living room but don’t see a find a leak and the mud bath room vent that is on the same duct blows like a leaf blower. I blocked off every vent but the two in lr, and still get only small flow. Will keep chasing as I am sure RW will not comment... better yet come see it or invite me to take to factor for some lessons learn discussions!