Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

Gas furnace ducts not balanced

This morning at 25 degrees and 20 mph wind, I realized that my heat vents are not balanced. The mid bathroom blows hard, there are two in the living area, the one by the island gets warm but little air, the one in front of the couch is cold. I have removed divider and looked at furnace for disconnected flex duct but don’t see any thing. Any experiences advice appreciated
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #2

Should have searched this topic, will pull the vent register and check for duct connection
Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Team

You may need to remove the storage compartment rear wall and check to see if all of the flexible ducts are connected to the rear plenum of the furnace. The are just taped onto the plenum and can become dislodged.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Update

Rechecked all connections at the plenum, no issues. Went to each vent to test for hot air, results
-mid bath room lots of flow
- bedroom, a little flow
- main bath vent under vanity, very little to no flow
- vent next to Island, a little flow
-vent near end of trailer, cold- (note this duct is same as other living room vent ) it is a hard duct, not flexible.
Conclusion- I am losing air some where between plenum and where it attaches to duct run to rooms.
Question, there is a plywood box ( several feet long and wide and maybe 18” tall located to the rear of the water pump. SeverL of the heat ducts go into this box....that maybe where flex duct connects to hard duct runs ..anyone know what is in this plywood box? Or contact info who would. Last winter season there was no issue and RW has not moved
Old 01-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #5

Ducts

We have a 2014 38RL. Once We estabished all the ducts were connected, I installed floor registers with adjustable dampers. No problem since.
Easy201438rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #6

Heat ducts

I "HAD" a 2016 39mb and discovered when we were getting ready to go full time we had the same issue. I took off the panel off to get to the utility area in the basement and installed a piano hinge on the center panel so I would have access anytime without removing screws. That worked well I was able to maneuver my old ass into the area and found that redwoods idea for a duct is a piece of cardboard between two pieces of aluminum frame. It had a thin piece of aluminum tape on the end which was loose therefore all the heat was blowing out there being the path of least resistance. 98 degrees in that area. Just another cost cutting measure. That helped a little but didn't solve the problem. I'm sure somewhere under the floor is a similar problem. Good luck with it my suggestion is do like I did and dump that pos redwood asap I thought I was buying one of the best but soon discovered I was wrong. That was just one of many issues. If you want to hear of other problems message me maybe I can help. Leaking slides, wheels falling off, ghosts in wiring are just a few. Pure junk.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #7

Gas furnace balance

I bought a borescope and going to look down all my ducts as I am sure that one is disconnected in a place that I can’t see . I suspect the connection from round to rectangle duct is disconnected or partially disconnected. I have the divider panels out and doing battle today!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #8

Nope, a part of my problem is that two of the round flexible ducts from furnace go up and into a metal duct plenum. The issue was that though they were attached, it was with silver duct tape and the full weight of the two duct was hanging from the tape. Leaving a 1” gap about 10” long so much heated air was escaping into the basement. It took my brother and I about 30 minutes to cut a piece of wood 17 5/8” long x 3.25 “w, , retape the joint and fasten the wood to make duct secure.. something factory could have done.Just saying but this is crappy workmanship as well as the RW corporate Quality Control department. Over all I really like my RW so I will just add this to my list of quality issues that I have uncovered over the last 12 months. You just would not find these issues in a RW from 2013. My brother’s 2013 next door duct arrangement was correct. I still cannot get proper air flow to living room but don’t see a find a leak and the mud bath room vent that is on the same duct blows like a leaf blower. I blocked off every vent but the two in lr, and still get only small flow. Will keep chasing as I am sure RW will not comment... better yet come see it or invite me to take to factor for some lessons learn discussions!
Old 12-04-2020, 03:16 AM   #9

Did you ever track down the low-flow prob? I just bought a used 2014 38RL and also have low flow in the living room floor registers. I guess I need to remove the panel in the basement to investigate but apparently I won't be able to track all the way from the furnace to those registers.
F-16 Joc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:48 AM   #10

My solution was to get rid of the pos. I wasn't about to remove all of the bottom panels to repair it. I did remove the panels in the basement storage area and was shocked to see the shi×_y workmanship there.
Cardboard and tinfoil ductwork. I also had a lot of other issues. Maybe try one of those scopes used by mechanics to look in cylinders etc.to look in the ducts. Good luck or do like I did and dump it to some unsuspecting dealer.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief AFD View Post
My solution was to get rid of the pos. I wasn't about to remove all of the bottom panels to repair it. I did remove the panels in the basement storage area and was shocked to see the shi×_y workmanship there.
Cardboard and tinfoil ductwork. I also had a lot of other issues. Maybe try one of those scopes used by mechanics to look in cylinders etc.to look in the ducts. Good luck or do like I did and dump it to some unsuspecting dealer.
Curious? You got rid of the furnace or the entire RW?
Welcome to the rv tin foil & cardboard world. When you find one in RWs price range that's built any better with better materials please pass on which one that may be.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #12

Heat ducts

Got rid of the whole trailer. As far as better quality for the price you are correct you get what you pay for. Lower price = poor quality. I hear the new ones are even worse. I will admit they look nice but buyer beware. I made my mistake with redwood and thankfully I was educated enough to not buy brand new and get the hit on new depreciation. Anyone looking for a new one do your homework unless you can afford to throw away tens of thousands on your investment.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Joc View Post
Did you ever track down the low-flow prob? I just bought a used 2014 38RL and also have low flow in the living room floor registers. I guess I need to remove the panel in the basement to investigate but apparently I won't be able to track all the way from the furnace to those registers.
See my previous reply, the top of fiber board duct ( ( I assume at a joint) had come up taped and dropped down blocking most of the flow. As I said , discovered with a borescope ( Amazon) located and with brother‘a smaller hands and one piece of tape at a time soured top of duct to point that flow was restored.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #14

I had the same issue.. Below are BEFORE and AFTER pictures of my Heat ducts -

Before -

After -
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #15

How did you get access? My blockage was under mid bathroom (39mb). My brother was able to to just reach the area where top of duct had fallen down and used pieces of duct tape to open it back up. Is only temp fix as starting to fall again. I am sure if we decide to move unit it will fall again
Old 03-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets52 View Post
How did you get access? My blockage was under mid bathroom (39mb). My brother was able to to just reach the area where top of duct had fallen down and used pieces of duct tape to open it back up. Is only temp fix as starting to fall again. I am sure if we decide to move unit it will fall again
That is exactly where my blockage was as well... I have no idea how they gained access, as I had a repair service do the work. I believe that they got in via the basement and where the plenum and furnace is but not 100% sure
Old 04-06-2021, 02:44 AM   #17

What boroscope did you get?
skip1loman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1loman View Post
What boroscope did you get?
I purchased mine from Harbor freight.. believe it cost me $59.00 a few years ago...

It is actually pretty nice, it has a carrying case, 18" or 24" flexible end with light.