Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Smile Looking to purchase a RW36RL BUT??

We have heard some rumors lately about the quality control at Redwood Residential, something about a power struggle...I've heard there are TONS of concerns with the sides and changes to slide operating system. So, the real question...should we look elsewhere for our new rig. The last thing we want is problems, and who better to ask than all of you!
We love the floorplan and all the storage. We actually agree that this is the perfect fit for us...but not if it comes with a ton of headaches. So let us know how you really feel...
One more question... what type of tow vehicle would you suggest, a 3500 standard or a dually. We will be traveling with this unit, lots of boondocking and traveling up the West Coast!

Thank you so much.
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

I will let those who have owned both type of slides to respond. As far as a truck is concerned, DUALLY!
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #3

Redwood made a change about a year ago when they changed the bedroom slide from the Schwintek to a cable system. They still use the Schwintek for the slide-in-slide on some models.
There has not been any change in the main cable slides, they have always been the same hydraulic system they use today.

There is no plan to change what they are using today.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #4

We have a 36RL and are happy with it. Like all RV's, you will have to declare a "maintenance day" and do some tweaks/adjustments but we haven't had any real fundamental issues.

We've lost a electric board on the furnace (not a Redwood issue but a supplier one) had to adjust a few items like door catches etc. but we've had no slide problems. This is after 2 years with about a year total in the Redwood (we are "half timers!") so more usage than a weekender would experience. The stove vent flapper also packed it in (it's a cheapie design).

If you select a good RV dealer that can look after you things will be good. I would stay away from Lazy days!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #5

We love our Redwood and pull it with a srw truck. I agree find a good dealer.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have a 2015 36RL and have lived in it for 10 months. I have not had any problems on the quality of build. I have had minor issues with some of the supplier parts in it. Eg Samsung tv quit, control board for swintech slide quit. Theses were resolved quickly by our dealer and we're not workmanship isssues.
I would Definately buy another
Also I have a 3500 gmc Srw that I pull it with and hauls it easily. The only problem is overloading the rear tires and rims. I currently have a new dually ordered. The liability of hauling overloaded if in an accident is not worth it. These RL's have a lot of pin weight going on the truck. Hi
Old 05-29-2015, 02:30 AM   #7

Thank you. I'm curious, what hitch are you using?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:31 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
20k Reese pro series and it works well
Old 05-29-2015, 03:11 AM   #9

We have had some minor problems with our Redwood, but no more or less than other RVs we have owned.
We have been Fulltiming in our Redwood almost a year now and it is serving us well now that we have worked the bugs out.
We do pull with a 3500HD Dually, love the stability, the Redwoods are heavy !!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:18 AM   #10

So far we have enjoyed our new RW. I have found a few things that needs to be fixed, but nothing serious. Mater-a-fact, I don't plan to take it in for these repairs until the end of the season, having too much fun with it.
I pull it with a 3500 Chevy dually and love how easy it pulls it. I have a Curt 20K hitch which has work very well also.
I believe that with ANY RV you may get, there is always a potential for problems. What's important is that you are near a good dealer/service department.
Good luck with your search
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:33 AM   #11

Fulltime now for 2 1/2years in our RW & only minor issues that I took care of, took to service center once, never been serviced at any dealership. We have a GMC 3500 dually (fantastic) with B&W companion hitch which is great.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #12

have had our 38Rl for almost a year no real issues some minor items that I fixed my self. TV is a 2008 F450 tuned with upgraded turbo's and exhaust. Hardly know its back there.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

2.5 years full-time in our Redwood. Had few minor problems in the past, one which was the Schwintek motor on the bedroom slide. Redwood picked up the repair costs after it was out of warranty. No issues to speak of this past year.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #14

Redwood issues???

Nothing serious for me yet. However I have just purchased it. What i will say is make DANG SURE that the dealer you choose will service your Redwood after you buy it. They love your money when your purchasing. But not as much in love with your money when it comes to repairing it. I am towing with a 2012 3500 Ram. 4:10 gears and a 25K Air Hitch. I have not yet added the airbag suspension but believe it would be a huge help. I have the 38GK.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #15

If you really are looking for a trouble-free rv, then you'd better not look. ALL rvs have problems, nature of the beast. I talked to an owner of a 2 million dollar Prevost and he had the same complaints that we all do-they just give him champagne when he's waiting for his repairs. Seriously, having knowledge that all rvs have problems, the key to happiness is to research the dealer service reputation and make good friends with the service mgr. One of the first things I like to find out about a service mgr. is what he likes to drink. Bottom line is I would definitely recommend a Redwood, if not for the quality, then certainly for the quality of help you will get here on the owner's forum. Outstanding dialog as to problems and solutions that work! We pull our 38RL with a SRW, but regret not getting a dually! Short bed 4X4 with Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch. Works fine but we live and rv in Texas and surrounding states where it's mostly flat. Looking forward to my new dually when we retire and travel full-time! Our next add-on is going to be water-wings! Good luck!

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #16
Site Team

I would agree with 4happyfeet. Service from the dealer is above a low, low price in my opinion. I've been fortunate to have two good dealer service depts near me (and yes, I'm on first name basis with the service manager). My coach was new in October of 2012 and has been pulled in excess of 15 k miles and will see at least another 4 k this year. A few minor things, kind of things you expect in an RV but nothing major.

Someone once said, if you don't have at least basic tools and the ability to use them occasionally, bots and RVs are not for you unless you have a bunch of $$. Our coaches are always moving around when going down the road, no way to stop that. There will always be stuff to "adjust"

And last, FWIW, I had a really great F350 short bed SRW when we got the Redwood. Realized after the first trip I didn't have enough truck ......... Someone got a really nice 8 month old truck and I got a new Dually. Do the Dually, you will not regret it. And if you think there is the remote possibility that you might go bigger later - get a 450. I regret not doing that when I bought our current truck. Love this truck, but I'm limited to about 18k trailer weight.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #17

Redwood hasn't used any slide system unique to Redwood, so good or bad, they are industry standard. We have not had any problems with our hydraulic lower and Schwintek upper slide system.

With weather delays, we just got ours out again for the season, and not one single issue of fix required. I am a happy guy!

As far as the Dealer- I have a different approach. I don't want them working on it, so I won't take it in. I prefer to do my own work. The only problem is Redwood has changed policy and it is much harder to get parts over the counter, by warranty or even just to purchase. They must be trying to feed their Dealers.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #18

I agree with AA, most of the repairs have been minor and I have done myself.
First of all for most minor repairs, it is too much of a PITA to take it to the dealer and second I want it done right or better / improved if possible.
We did have a TV fail in the first 30 days and Redwood wanted to ship it to the closest dealer to our current location, (which we finally got worked out and they overnighted it) I took our TV to the dealer, swapped it out and I put the TV back in our coach. It has been about 10 months since we swapped the TV, we have not had any TV issues since.
The only repair I took to the dealer (which was a Redwood Manufacturing Problem) was the water leak coming in our rear A/C unit due to a wire being under the A/C gasket. I did not want to remove the A/C unit and plus I wanted a documented water leak repair incase there are further issues caused from the leak later on.
That turned in to a fiasco as they removed the A/C and fixed the water leak correctly but when reinstalling the A/C unit they connected the Heat Pump wiring wrong, the Heat Pump mode would just blow air, no heat. Had to take it back to get it corrected which turned into another fiasco at the dealer. It took them two days to find their simple wiring mistake !!!
I hope we can bring up the change in Redwood policy about parts at the Redwood Rally, for us Fulltimers this is a problem due to the fact we move every few weeks year round.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #19

In my circumstances I furnished the parts & RW reimbursed me, that way I got what I wanted & wasn't broke waiting on them. Unfortunately they didn't pay me my labor, but I am satisfied it was done & done to my satisfaction.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #20

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yesterday we purchased a 2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie Diesel Mega #Dually!! Getting closer....