Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I don't think we need to paranoid, but I don't think we need somebody continuously trying to ground these threads either just because they worry about what new people think! I've been RVing for 40 years as well, and I had to learn it on my own because there was no forums back then. I like my Redwood, but I'm not going to smooth other the issues because it ruffles feathers!

This deservers some attention:

3 trailers on this thread alone - all lost the rear bolts in the spring, all were 2015 rigs and I believe all had the 8K axles and 17.5 wheels:

Ken and Cyndie = 2015 38RL 8K H tires
Terry and Nina = 2015 38GK 8K H tires
Bull Chps = 2015 RL50 Carriage (sister to Redwood) - unknown axles.

Until the 2015 with 8K axles, I haven't heard any bring up a lost or broken spring bolt. Something could very well be wrong with the design.

Putting out spot fires fixes the short term, but if the manufacture ignores the root cause, they could end up in the same shoes as Dodge right now.
Brad I think you're wrong. The springs regardless of 7 or 8k axles have always been an issue. John lost his a couple of years ago (2012 FL) and I just ran into a guy in the St Louis area with a 2015 MB that lost his. Many people have had problems related to the rear axles coming loose.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Brad I think you're wrong. The springs regardless of 7 or 8k axles have always been an issue. John lost his a couple of years ago (2012 FL) and I just ran into a guy in the St Louis area with a 2015 MB that lost his. Many people have had problems related to the rear axles coming loose.
Dave, were they specifically the shackle bolts that broke or were lost? Sure there have been many spring issues, including mine, but I don't want to generalize them into what might be a specific new design issue with the new 8K springs.

What axles were on the 2015MB in St Louis?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #43
Site Team

The MB I believe he said had the 7k axles. Most of the issues with the spring started out with the shackel bolts either breaking or coming loose. A few folks have reported cracked springs but most have been the bolts or hangers.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #44

You say "most", but I've been on this forum 2 years and never heard of a lost or broken bolt until now. Hangers yes, shackles yes - different topics.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Assume that was without water?
Actually, we were basically dry camping at MorRyde's lot last night and we filled up the fresh water until just hitting 2/3 full with their hose, plus whatever residual we had in the rig when we left the last campground. Vaughan is guesstimating that he put about 30 gallons in. Said he wouldn't be concerned if tanks were full.

MorRyde adjusted the spring setting on our back axel and they're going to weigh again. What a great place this is!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post
Actually, we were basically dry camping at MorRyde's lot last night and we filled up the fresh water until just hitting 2/3 full with their hose, plus whatever residual we had in the rig when we left the last campground. Vaughan is guesstimating that he put about 30 gallons in. Said he wouldn't be concerned if tanks were full.

MorRyde adjusted the spring setting on our back axel and they're going to weigh again. What a great place this is!
I was just curious - with water to the brim, we are at 17,220, but still only 12,900 on the axles. The rest of it is on the pin
Old 08-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #47

Quote:
I was just curious - with water to the brim, we are at 17,220, but still only 12,900 on the axles. The rest of it is on the pin
They just redistributed the weight on ours. For more technical talk, Vaughan will have to step in.

I cannot say enough great things about MorRyde and its staff. It's our 3rd time here and we'll be back next year for a check up.

We were told that they're seeing more hanger failures in the last few years, not necessarily specific to Redwood.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post

We were told that they're seeing more hanger failures in the last few years, not necessarily specific to Redwood.
But I bet common to Lippert There is nothing unique about the Redwood frame design. I see it on most RVs that size, with the exception of the equalizer system which seems to be unique on most.

Spring hanger issues are pathetic - just too thin of a hanger. My first ever 5th wheel in 2003 had the hangers bend over and fail. Mor-Ryde came out with the "X-Factor" system to try to prevent that, but in reality it could be fixed with a more stout hanger. Thinking about installing the X-factor on the Redwood, at least the outer two, before I start towing the Jeep.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #49

Yes, I would like to know how many LIPPERT failures are happening, and why... and NO I am not "alarmist" or "paranoid" just try to be educated. It helps to make decisions going forward. If you see a measurable percentage of these things failing, then this is called a "pattern" and I can choose to not be victimized by paying attention. If I can prevent this from happening then I will.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Yes, I would like to know how many LIPPERT failures are happening, and why... and NO I am not "alarmist" or "paranoid" just try to be educated. It helps to make decisions going forward. If you see a measurable percentage of these things failing, then this is called a "pattern" and I can choose to not be victimized by paying attention. If I can prevent this from happening then I will.
Definitely agree, if there is a pattern, it is a disservice to focus on the few that make headlines - it could be a design problem.

This is the kind of stuff I'm thinking the Owner Group would be good at.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #51

Frankly, I am sure REDWOOD would like to know if there is a pattern too! I am sure they do. It's interesting that there seems to be a cluster of failures forming within a tight time frame... very interesting.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 08-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #52

I think you have to read every forum from every manufacturer as Lippert is the frame on the majority of every trailer you see on any given day! On some of the highways we've been on lately I don't think the suspension on an armored vehicle would stand up.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #53

Two things changed on the 2015 that make me curious:
  1. They re-introduced the 8K axles, springs, and started offering the H series tires.
  2. They introduced the 38 series - a couple of feet longer.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I think you have to read every forum from every manufacturer as Lippert is the frame on the majority of every trailer you see on any given day! On some of the highways we've been on lately I don't think the suspension on an armored vehicle would stand up.
But seriously - if these aren't designed to go down the highway, then what good are they? I don't have parts breaking on my truck or other trailers because of the roads.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #55

Brad

I'm sure you meant 8K axles, right?

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Brad

I'm sure you meant 8K axles, right?
Oops, yep, thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #57

We are going in for service on Thursday. We will be having the bearings repacked and doing a thorough inspection of the springs, brakes and everything. We are hoping for a clean bill of health with no cracked springs, no missing bolts, and no grease on our brakes! I am expecting things to be fine, especially since we have only towed the trailer a very minimal amount since we purchased it. I will be reporting back here on what we learn, and if there is a problem, with pictures. We are NOT over loaded, (we have been weighed) and we haven't hit any potholes and we haven't had anything unusual happen while towing. :-)

Old 08-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #58

FYI - our hanger bolt failed right about the 5,000 mile mark. Curious to see how long the other owners travelled before the bolts failed. I did check the other bolts - all tight and have been greased regularly. As I mentioned we have been weighed but not at each wheel. I would have expected the door side of the trailer to be slightly lighter (no pantry or appliances)? Any one know if this is the case?
Ken&Cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #59

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken&Cyndie View Post
FYI - our hanger bolt failed right about the 5,000 mile mark. Curious to see how long the other owners travelled before the bolts failed. I did check the other bolts - all tight and have been greased regularly. As I mentioned we have been weighed but not at each wheel. I would have expected the door side of the trailer to be slightly lighter (no pantry or appliances)? Any one know if this is the case?
My friend just weighed his 36RL. The kitchen side (street side) weighed 1000 lbs more than the curb side. Explained why the trailer leans toward the centerline of the road when viewed from behind. Curb side 5550 lbs AND street side 6600 lbs. mine also leans to the street side. Thinking maybe I need a stiffer leaf spring on the heavier side!
Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 AM   #60

We would love to any contact information you have for MorRyde. RW told us this morning we need to go to 8K axles. We went in for other problems and they found a suspension/spring issue. Then they weighed our RW and said we were overweight, so they wouldn't do anything. This is all new information to us, so we aren't sure what our next steps should be. Side note: we regularly weigh at truck stop CAT scales and did the Smart Weigh here at rally. Those weights have all been good.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote