Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
If I were Redwood (well, that would be a long post...)
It would be very awesome if Redwood could:

1. Acknowledge that there is a problem with the design of the suspension system in certain units that left the factory when they are loaded as designed (i.e.: as built, fulltimers only have enough weight left to pack a package of paper plates and 5 pair of undies before being overweight-UNREASONABLE)

2. Partner with MorRyde to offer certain Redwood Owners a discounted install of new suspension.

This will do a number of things. First, it will heal the wound that has been festering about this woefully lacking suspension system. *The Rally is going to be enlightening (sorry Redwood) because many folks are having their rigs weighed there, and many are not going to like what they learn...

Second: It will alleviate future claims and expense with warranty and even lawsuit with the defective systems out there.

If my suspension gives, I HAVE a recent weighing of my rig, I will NOT allow them to claim that we are overweight. Because we have the standard suspension, we are severely limited to what we can haul. We may as well not HAVE holding tanks...

It wouldn't have to be a huge discount, but something that would be received as Redwood caring and working to overcome mistakes in design. THIS is all any of us asks. Mistakes are one thing, but to pretend that it doesn't exist doesn't fool anyone, and just causes very bad damage to their reputation. People shop reputation FIRST!!
They will NEVER accept responsibility because once they do there will be a line up of people who expect them to do the same and own up. This is where the mentality comes to deny claims. It's all about $$$$ not customer service. This isn't just Redwood but a lot of other RV manufactures too.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #22

Unfortunately, you are right Yale, this is the reason warranty claims get denied. That's why I thought it might be worth them addressing it by having owners opt to pay to have their suspension upgraded... I know we would do it. Right now, our suspension, in our opinion, is a bomb waiting to go off. It must be fixed. Determining "who's fault it is" isn't always going to solve the problem.

The way it stands right now, assuming we want to keep our coach, we have three choices:
1. Wait until it breaks and hopefully nobody gets killed when it does, then fight for warranty coverage. In the meantime, tow in fear.
2. Pretend like there is nothing to worry about (not possible for us personally).
3. Have the suspension upgraded and regain confidence in our suspension to do what we were told it would do in the first place when we bought it.

Frankly, we aren't sure if spending another $6K is a good investment. We are still deciding.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #23
Site Team

I believe Lippert is the problem but Redwood is a sister company to Lippert so it isn't going to get fixed. When Redwood first went into production, I was told that the Redwood line was going to prov the quality that Lippert was capable of....well it sure did!

Lippert has a bad name on every forum and that's why they tried using a new name "Falcon" with the Redwoods. Lippert simply cuts corners on everything regardless of safty.

The Redwoods are getting heavier yet they still have the 2 7000lb axles. In my opinion, nothing over 40 ft should only have 2 axles. With 2 axles and 40 plus in length, you have more bounce, more frame twisting and more side wall flex which will lead to cracks and leaks throughout the coach even around the windows and in the roof area. On top of that the new trailers have less carrying capacity which will lead to being over weight.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I believe Lippert is the problem but Redwood is a sister company to Lippert so it isn't going to get fixed. When Redwood first went into production, I was told that the Redwood line was going to prov the quality that Lippert was capable of....well it sure did!

Lippert has a bad name on every forum and that's why they tried using a new name "Falcon" with the Redwoods. Lippert simply cuts corners on everything regardless of safty.
You got that right! FIT = Forced it Together was a hoopla from the beginning. Everything was supposed to be so harmonious with the Falcon FIT - a "one stop shop" so to speak where issues could easily be resolved and designs would be superior because they all come from one Vendor. What it really means is I downgraded from my Montana which at least still had Dexter axles, Mor-Ryde LRE suspension, etc. Now even my windows are Lippert, and the new doors are Lippert, and I'm sure it's only a matter of next year and all the awnings will be Lippert.

I'm not saying Lippert products are the worst of worst, but if they won't warranty any of it, it becomes worthless junk.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #25

Quote:
?....Frankly, we aren't sure if spending another $6K is a good investment. We are still deciding.
It was $3k for the suspension and $3k for the Kodiak disc brakes (a little less for Titan). It's definitely a bite in the wallet. However, as we cruise down the interstate doing 65 mph on a smooth Ohio road (NOT) with about a 30 mph crosswind, the rig is holding steady. And as I read over these various posts, I can honestly say I'm glad Vaughan did not listen to me when I stated that the IS was an extravagance and our money could be better spent elsewhere. In fact, every time we travel, I'm very grateful that we went with MorRyde.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #26

Thanks PGG: It's as I suspected. I am literally ALWAYS looking in the mirrors "expecting" something to be wrong. It's a big bummer. I am overly attentive to every item we bring in the door because I worry about weight. It shouldn't be that bad. It would be nice to sit back and ENJOY RVing again. Somewhere along the line that has evolved into a definite trepidation when we are underway.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #27

Quote:
?..I am overly attentive to every item we bring in the door because I worry about weight. It shouldn't be that bad....
Yep, I was the same way - totally paranoid about that extra case of water or whether the upright vacuum was necessary. Have to say, I don't worry about those things anymore.

Tomorrow morning we're due in for a routine inspection at MorRyde and we're going to ask them to weigh the rig again for us. We're traveling with a comfortable load. Not quite loaded for full-timing, but loaded (full basement, full pantry, etc.). I'll be interested to see what the scales say.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #28

Piper Guy wanted me to add that this is also why he went for the 8k axles, maybe a $100 increase ($3k included the 8k's): because I like to travel with lots of "stuff" (and Vodka).
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
We all have to remember to take some of these posts with a grain of salt. These trailers are not going to explode going down the road. Electric brakes are good brakes when set up properly. Leaf spring suspension has been around forever and works very well. We have a few people on here with the chicken little syndrome that the sky is falling in. These trailers come from the factory's with legal equipment for the weights they are registered to carry. Sure some may be borderline but if I have to worry about every little item that is posted and be scared to take my trailer out L's get rid of it and stay in a hotel
But wait what if it catches on fire or the elevator cable breaks when I'm in it
Shane Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
We all have to remember to take some of these posts with a grain of salt. These trailers are not going to explode going down the road. Electric brakes are good brakes when set up properly. Leaf spring suspension has been around forever and works very well. We have a few people on here with the chicken little syndrome that the sky is falling in. These trailers come from the factory's with legal equipment for the weights they are registered to carry. Sure some may be borderline but if I have to worry about every little item that is posted and be scared to take my trailer out L's get rid of it and stay in a hotel
But wait what if it catches on fire or the elevator cable breaks when I'm in it
Very well said Shane. Sometimes I tell myself to quit reading the threads because it makes you crazy thinking about all the possible problems. There are hundreds of thousands of trailers on the road today with similar suspensions and are enjoying life without problems. When I owned my Hitchhiker everyone on their forum complained about Dexter axles. I'm not saying there are not problems, but not everyone has all those issues. I expect some issues, but I also expect the manufacturers to warrant their product and fix those issues.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #31

If you want a trouble free, defect free, perfectly built rv then I hope you find it, but I don't know where you would go to find it. The day I start to worry about every little thing that might go wrong when we hitch up to go is the day this thing gets parked for good. Some people are just worry warts & others just I like to bitch & you couldn't make them happy if it was good plated.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Very well said Shane. Sometimes I tell myself to quit reading the threads because it makes you crazy thinking about all the possible problems. There are hundreds of thousands of trailers on the road today with similar suspensions and are enjoying life without problems. When I owned my Hitchhiker everyone on their forum complained about Dexter axles. I'm not saying there are not problems, but not everyone has all those issues. I expect some issues, but I also expect the manufacturers to warrant their product and fix those issues.
some of the problems that have come up help us all out alot cause we have already read about it and know exactly where to look for the problem. A lot of the other issues are here say and get everyone with no experience or new to rving worked up for nothing.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #33

I purchased my trailer to travel and enjoy. Like any rv things will break. If it breaks I will fix it . If I can't I will find someone to fix it
Life is to short for the what if,s get out in your new trailer and enjoy
Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #34

There certainly is not a perfect RV out there. We did our research and I still believe RW is a good 5th wheel. It is a shame that getting anything taken care of with warranty is hard to impossible, without "strong arming". I am always glad to read the issues people are having with their RW. I want to be informed, but not paranoid. We have had quite a few issues, so far RW has taken care of them--but every time it was a fight.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:29 AM   #35

I did a lot of research prior to buying ours. The Redwood were the best bang for the buck. I have had rvs for the last 40 years so I know what to expect. They all have their problems. At the end of the day if you have had a great weekend or have lived in it full time for a few months to whenever. These things do a really good job.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:43 AM   #36

Ken&Cyndie: we were on a 6500 mile trip out west, just getting started and we also lost the right rear hanger bolt! I had a heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit installed.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #37

Just had our rig weighed at MorRyde. 12,985 on the axles. 3,260 on the pin. So 16,245 total. Our 8k axles allow 17,500.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #38

Assume that was without water?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post
Just had our rig weighed at MorRyde. 12,985 on the axles. 3,260 on the pin. So 16,245 total. Our 8k axles allow 17,500.
Your 8k axles are paying off! I'm glad it's working out for you
Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
some of the problems that have come up help us all out alot cause we have already read about it and know exactly where to look for the problem. A lot of the other issues are here say and get everyone with no experience or new to rving worked up for nothing.
I don't think we need to paranoid, but I don't think we need somebody continuously trying to ground these threads either just because they worry about what new people think! I've been RVing for 40 years as well, and I had to learn it on my own because there was no forums back then. I like my Redwood, but I'm not going to smooth over the issues because it ruffles feathers!

This deservers some attention:

3 trailers on this thread alone - all lost the rear bolts in the spring, all were 2015 rigs and I believe all had the 8K axles and 17.5 wheels:

Ken and Cyndie = 2015 38RL 8K H tires
Terry and Nina = 2015 38GK 8K H tires
Bull Chps = 2015 RL50 Carriage (sister to Redwood) - unknown axles.

Until the 2015 with 8K axles, I haven't heard any bring up a lost or broken spring bolt. Something could very well be wrong with the design.

Putting out spot fires fixes the short term, but if the manufacture ignores the root cause, they could end up in the same shoes as Dodge right now.