Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

Geez what next.......

We've been moving our stuff in the unit to begin full timing. Moved into a RV park today to complete that transition. Went around and opened the back storage compartment to get something out and the handle falls off in my hand.

Then went and opened the vent for the microwave oven and the flap falls out... This is all in addition to the water leaking somewhere around the dining slide mentioned in another post below.

This is essentially the 3rd time we've used the unit (a total of about 3 weeks out of the 9 months we've owned it)...most of the remainder of the time we've owned it, it's been at the dealer getting other issues fixed.

Taking it back to the dealer is out of the question for the near future so I'll guess I'll be making a call to Tiara RV to try and order replacement parts. Sucks I'll have to buy them when all this stuff should clearly still be under warranty.

We were so proud when we purchased it but now we've begun to second guess our decision. Already had far more issues with it than we did on a far less expensive 5th wheel while full timing in it for over two years..

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:07 AM   #2

Thomas, sounds like you need to bypass the Dealers and get an appointment with the Service Center in Topeka. They know these things inside and out and will do a much better and quicker job than just about any Dealership.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:40 AM   #3

Soon you will be a master at repairing your own stuff. I have found that I repair things better than the repair facility, most things are cheaper to repair yourself, because if you have to be out of the unit, and or not able to use it for any given time that becomes costly. I rely on mine. With out it it could cost me thousands of dollars a month. Most of the time if the repair cost less than $2K it is not worth fighting warranty claims and down time. We make more money working than pi$$ing and moaning and calling all the right people on the just right day of the week, just the talk to the nay sayers who's job is to say NO! My unit is out of warranty now and I really don't know what the +5 covers anyway, (along with just about everyone else on here) anyway there is lots of us here to help you. Most of us will talk you through what ever you have to fix. I even have people call me on the phone so I can give more detailed information. I have called others on the phone. Just let us know what you need we are here for each other. For the most part once all the bugs are worked out it will be a wonderful unit.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:50 AM   #4

i'm realizing most hardware from these units comes from Lippert. LCI1.COM go on their site and if you can find the handle/lock you need you can order it direct from them. They are really good people and easy to deal with.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

While LCI has their own group of naysayers you are right...
most ALL rv's have something (or a lot) of Lippert stuff...

And Lippert released an app a while back that might be useful... download it to your phone/tablet... MyLCI® App
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #6

I don't know if Tiara would do it, but my local Dealer (Windish Colorado) was getting my parts under warranty using pictures of the bad part, and I would install myself. I got everything from cabinet hinges, window handles, to shower fixtures. They had one service person assigned just to warranty work on Redwood, at least at the time.

Not promoting doing it yourself, but to me it was the lesser of two evils because my rig got to stay in the garage rather than spend weeks on the Dealer lot waiting from them to get it in que.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I don't know if Tiara would do it, but my local Dealer (Windish Colorado) was getting my parts under warranty using pictures of the bad part, and I would install myself. I got everything from cabinet hinges, window handles, to shower fixtures. They had one service person assigned just to warranty work on Redwood, at least at the time.

Not promoting doing it yourself, but to me it was the lesser of two evils because my rig got to stay in the garage rather than spend weeks on the Dealer lot waiting from them to get it in que.
That would be a great policy change. Allow the owners to get warranty parts from dealers if the dealer can't service the RV in a reasonable amount of time. RW could even kick back a little extra for the dealer but not as much as if they did the warranty work. Everybody wins.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #8

You need to visit with someone at RW, while mine was in warranty I bought the parts myself from where ever & RW reimbursed me, no hassling with dealers & NO 6 week stay at a dealer for a 2 hour job. Unfortunately my labor was free, but for me it was worth it to know it was done right & not being stored in the back lot "waiting on parts/ approval ".
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 AM   #9

Thanks everyone....

I haven't had a chance to call about the part for the rear storage door yet. I've got it "fixed" to where I think it stay shut in the meantime. If that doesn't work I'll have to use duct tape to hold it......how nice will that look ??

If I can't run down where the leak is, I'll be talking to Redwood about taking it up to the service center. We have a couple weeks in mid October where I could possibly do that if needed.

Thomas and Shana

2015 Redwood 38RL
Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

RW Help

Thomas:
I have the same coach as you and have had similar experiences with "dealers". However, the customer service folks at Crossroads have been very good at working through the problems. I had three different dealers "fix" an electrical problem. Cost me at least 5 months of unavailability. RW techs fixed it at the 2016 rally in 10 minutes. As it says in the Bible, take thee to Indiana!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #11

Well....tonight the bolt lock on the door that locks it from the inside has broken. We can't lock it when we are in it. I'm going to call Bauer directly and see if they can help me with that.

Thomas and Shana

2015 Redwood 38RL
Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #12

Thomas I hope I am easing your pain when I tell you that I wish I had it as easy as you, my init is two months old and it is garbage, the list of things that do work is much shorter than the list of things that don't, also it rains more inside than out, I have totally come to regret my decision, and when I was able to contact the dealer, whom is unable to fix their way out of a wet paper bag and suggested taking it back in trade, even at my loss, they said no because there were to many things wrong with it! Then I contacted Redwood corporate, and found out that nice pat on the back they give themselves on their website about standing by their customers is as good as the quality of their crap campers, so I guess I am saying, stay away from Redwood, Crossroads, And Camping world of Flagstaff Arizona. I am sorry that you are going through the same thing I am just because you thought you were buying something of quality. I wish you all the luck.
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
Thomas I hope I am easing your pain when I tell you that I wish I had it as easy as you, my init is two months old and it is garbage, the list of things that do work is much shorter than the list of things that don't, also it rains more inside than out, I have totally come to regret my decision, and when I was able to contact the dealer, whom is unable to fix their way out of a wet paper bag and suggested taking it back in trade, even at my loss, they said no because there were to many things wrong with it! Then I contacted Redwood corporate, and found out that nice pat on the back they give themselves on their website about standing by their customers is as good as the quality of their crap campers, so I guess I am saying, stay away from Redwood, Crossroads, And Camping world of Flagstaff Arizona. I am sorry that you are going through the same thing I am just because you thought you were buying something of quality. I wish you all the luck.
You need to take a deep breath and relax for a minute. There are probably people on here that would be happy to give you guidance but we don't know anything about your circumstances, ie: what model and year of your rig, did you purchase new or used, and what types of issues are you experiencing. I realize when things go wrong we sometimes get carried away with slamming the product. Give everyone on here a chance to help. It sounds like you may have ticked people off that could actually help you.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #14

Sorry, It is a 2015 Sequoia that was a leftover I purchased new in June, it was never sold it is a new unit, in fact it still has never been used and I will go through the problems it has, the roof leaks and the water runs down the center of the chandelier down thw electrical wiring, so if you turn on the light the ceiling starts to spark, the power awning does not work, the central vacuum does not work, two of the six hydraulic leveling jacks leak, the water line to the refrigerator for the ice maker leaks under the floor, and you can not lock the door, I know I am forgetting a few things, but they must be the minor things, I actually never lost my cool with either RW or Camping World for the reason of not wanting to be the bad guy, and now the thing is sitting in their competitors lot because they are a RW dealer also, and can do the warranty work, but I had to borrow my sisters camper this year, so no I am not wrong in how I feel, RW and Camping world are two crappy companies that I would never recommend to even my worst of enemies, in fact the only reason it is not being repaired right now is that the finance company I used is deciding wether to sue both companies.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Sorry, It is a 2015 Sequoia that was a leftover I purchased new in June, it was never sold it is a new unit, in fact it still has never been used and I will go through the problems it has, the roof leaks and the water runs down the center of the chandelier down thw electrical wiring, so if you turn on the light the ceiling starts to spark, the power awning does not work, the central vacuum does not work, two of the six hydraulic leveling jacks leak, the water line to the refrigerator for the ice maker leaks under the floor, and you can not lock the door, I know I am forgetting a few things, but they must be the minor things, I actually never lost my cool with either RW or Camping World for the reason of not wanting to be the bad guy, and now the thing is sitting in their competitors lot because they are a RW dealer also, and can do the warranty work, but I had to borrow my sisters camper this year, so no I am not wrong in how I feel, RW and Camping world are two crappy companies that I would never recommend to even my worst of enemies, in fact the only reason it is not being repaired right now is that the finance company I used is deciding wether to sue both companies.
It shouldn't make a difference if it was a leftover or not, it is a new unit and comes with a new warranty which, if a dealer cannot repair, then Crossroads service center should take it for the necessary warranty work. This warranty issue needs to be forced and not let up until satisfaction is obtained from Redwood/Crossroads. It sounds to me like you are not talking to the right person or squeaking loud enough. Have you gone up the chain, from the customer service tech to the customer Service Manager to the Redwood General Manager? I hope, since Redwood is monitoring this forum, someone will step up to the plate and offer their assistance like they have many times in the past. I've been through the frustration of a tech telling you that nothing can be done but I didn't stop there, I ended up at the top and Redwood took my fifth wheel back to the Service Center and did what was right. I had a dealer that didn't know what he was doing. The Service Center is fantastic and I would pursue that path.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:56 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:

Let's take these one at a time. First thing.....these all could be caused by small items.

For the roof leak, look at the cap on the antenna wire. This is a small rubber cap that need filled with sealant. Once the water is inside the trailer it will roll around the ceiling until it finds a way out.

For the awning....check the fuses first. Then grab a tester and check for power at the motor and at the switch. It could be a bad switch
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #17

I am widling away at these problems one by one, it just agrivates me that I have 7 years of warre for this reason.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #18

Quote:
I am widling away at these problems one by one, it just agrivates me that I have 7 years of warre for this reason.
We felt the same way about Camping World, Mesa. We purchased a RW 2016 36RL,we have owned it for a year. In the beginning... we had several items that needed immediate attention-some serious. We spent more time at CW Mesa than we did camping in our first 9 months of ownership. BUT...Redwood's Customer Service has been great. If not for them... we would not have been able to travel as planned this summer. We were so frustrated with CW, Mesa. We ended up going up to CW, Flagstaff. Peter the Service Manager, worked closely with RW to get most of our repairs handled. We still have a few items, and yes it's very frustrating. I know that if I email Thomas at RW, he will get back to me as soon as he can. He always follows through. In the beginning.. we felt just like you...once we started working with RW the issues were immediately addressed. I hope it all works out for you.
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
With most RV issues, it's the little things and lack of QC that bother us the most. How a company or dealership treats you goes a long way in reducing head aches or frustrations.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

Really cranks me to see Marcus A. Lemonis, the "profit", out there spreading his people/process/product principle to other business, when in reality he should turn the camera and spotlight into his own Camping World mess!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote