Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

Ice Maker line

We have a 2015 38 GK and were going to winter in Colorado. I have seen threads on the ice maker line freezing in winter. Is there anything I need to do prior to the harsh winter months?
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

IMHO,
If you have a residential pkg:
I would turn the water off under the sink, drain the line, and winterize it since it runs out of the coach under the slide and back up behind the cabinet...

If it's the rv fridge, you may be able to open the access panel outside and hang a light bulb to keep it warm, but I'm just guessing...

given that our 38gk has a res. fridge and the icemaker line has already frozen (here in Texas last winter!) , we just turned it off...

Besides, we like the crushed ice from Sonic and just dump it into our large residential freezer
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Seems like if this is a four season unit the line should be insulated so it does not freeze up. The unit is going in for some other repairs next week I wonder if there is a way they can insulate it so we don't buy ice all winter?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #4

I would just do as johnboytoo recommended, the only way to keep it from freezing would be to put heat tape on it all the way it would be a pain in the ***, plus it would be putting hot water in the icemaker. These things are not made to be wintering in cold climates without some changes. Buy you a PIRIT heated water hose, if stationary rent a large propane tank your gonna need it. Skirt the unit to save $'s in propane, buy a good infrared heater but use in moderation got to heat the underbelly with the furnace, winterize low point drains and outside shower with antifreeze then use normally just don't purge antifreeze out of these areas.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Just turn off the waterline to the ice maker and drain the water out of the line. Make sure the water solenoid is open so it doesn't freeze. The solenoid is probably the most fragile part of the system.

The ice maker is probably the easiest part of the coach to winterize.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

Dave,
How would you know if the solenoid is open or not?
-Jack

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn
2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
RAMN8TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Site Team

There are 2 hose type of connections on the solenoid. Just take both of those off and leave them off. All the water should drain out. When I winterize my unit I run pink thought the lines and them unscrew them from the solenoid.

Also, if you're still going to be using the fridge but not the ice maker, turn off the power to the ice maker so it doesn't keep trying to cycle.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #8

Dave,
So, once I disconnect both water lines the solenoid is open? I know...dumb question! Is the best way to turn off the ice maker by lifting the 'arm' next to the icemaker?

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
Site Team

If I'm remembering correctly, there's an extra a/c plug behind the refrigerator for the ice maker. If not I know there are wires with "spade" connectors running to the solenoid. Disconnect those and tape them off.

Don't worry about the ice maker unit in the freezer. It's designed to freeze.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #10

Ok, dumb questions day for me. My residential refrig is big, so how do I pull it out of the wall cabinet to get to the solenoid, my ice maker does not have the wire to lift up to shut off. This is a problem I don't feel we should have to do this every winter, the unit should not freeze if it is a four season unit. I feel I understand the winterizing the water hose supplying the camper and the sewer drain, also we will skirt the under areas so we should be good there. My shut off to the ice maker is way back inside the center isle cabinet and you can barely touch the shutoff. Guess I'll pay Camping World to take care of this twice a year every year.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin View Post
Ok, dumb questions day for me. My residential refrig is big, so how do I pull it out of the wall cabinet to get to the solenoid, my ice maker does not have the wire to lift up to shut off. This is a problem I don't feel we should have to do this every winter, the unit should not freeze if it is a four season unit. I feel I understand the winterizing the water hose supplying the camper and the sewer drain, also we will skirt the under areas so we should be good there. My shut off to the ice maker is way back inside the center isle cabinet and you can barely touch the shutoff. Guess I'll pay Camping World to take care of this twice a year every year.

Opps.....I didn't realize you had the residential frig. Sorry ...now you're over my pay grade. I would guess, there would still be an access panel on the outside and if not.....the fridg should pull out from the wall just like in a house. There should be some sort of anchor holding the fridg in place.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #12

No outside access panel for the residentials...
and it WOULD be nice to have an anchor, but ours doesn't

IMHO,
Have the freezer make some pink ice , then turn the supply off under the sink and hope for the best...
Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #13

The only section you should need to worry about is the section under the slide. There should be enough heat behind the fridge to keep it from freezing. Put a foam pipe wrap around it and encase the power cord there with it also. I would also recommend skirting with some type of material depending where you are in that glorious state of Colorado. We have wintered in Del Norte, that's in the San Luis Valley and also outside of Colorado Springs. Go Broncos!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #14

Isn't it different for residential versus rv type fridges ?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #15

I would think the water line is still run the same. I replaced my rv fridge with a residential fridge. BTW, to shut off the ice maker if you don't have the metal bale, just push the button on top of the fridge.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #16

Having the RW for a month now (how time flies!), and unable to find the leak coming out of the bottom of the main slide on the driver's side right coming out of a small hole, I decided to pull the drawer underneath the fridge (Norcold) and see if I could find anything. Glad I decided to do that. Found some minor water damage on the baseboard right underneath the fridge. I called dealer and they are going to fix it. In the meantime, I'm without an ice maker. Can't believe I will be having to rough it for a little while!

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMN8TER View Post
Having the RW for a month now (how time flies!), and unable to find the leak coming out of the bottom of the main slide on the driver's side right coming out of a small hole, I decided to pull the drawer underneath the fridge (Norcold) and see if I could find anything. Glad I decided to do that. Found some minor water damage on the baseboard right underneath the fridge. I called dealer and they are going to fix it. In the meantime, I'm without an ice maker. Can't believe I will be having to rough it for a little while!

WOW! Things are tough all over
Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #18

Back to buying bagged ice! What is going on!

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:

You are just going to have to stop those activities that require that much ice!!

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Stay North........ the ice is FREE