Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2024, 04:18 PM   #21

I've been using the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hard Wired unit with Remote Display forever. The remote display tells me exactly how much current is drawing on each leg along with the voltage of each leg.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I've been using the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hard Wired unit with Remote Display forever. The remote display tells me exactly how much current is drawing on each leg along with the voltage of each leg.
I have the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 installed in my
Rockwood 8265WS.

I'm looking at the Hughes because they're rebuildable.

2017 Redwood 3401RL
8K MORryde IS
Kodiak Disk Brakes
SAILUN S637 215/75R17.5 L
RW-3401RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:32 PM   #23

I have a 2020 3401 and use the Progressive Industries HW50C and it has a remote monitor that shows the error code but also displays L1 and L2 voltages, amperages and even frequencies. It has worked well and does shutdown when there is an electrical fault (as well as surge protection). I don’t know the Hughes autoformers,

I think the 2017 Redwoods (like my year) came with Precision Circuits Power Control System which is mentioned in the Redwood sales Brochures as an “Energy Management System (EMS)”. This is a load shedding system so that when on 30amp power it tries to keep your power draw to below 30amps at all times so you won’t pop a breaker. So you shouldn’t need anymore “load shedding” by your surge protector. This is a bit confusing because it is not the same as the earlier post (few years ago) suggesting you get an “Electrical Management System (EMS)” which is surge and electrical faults protection.
Nedshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedshred View Post
I have a 2020 3401 and use the Progressive Industries HW50C and it has a remote monitor that shows the error code but also displays L1 and L2 voltages, amperages and even frequencies. It has worked well and does shutdown when there is an electrical fault (as well as surge protection). I don’t know the Hughes autoformers,

I think the 2017 Redwoods (like my year) came with Precision Circuits Power Control System which is mentioned in the Redwood sales Brochures as an “Energy Management System (EMS)”. This is a load shedding system so that when on 30amp power it tries to keep your power draw to below 30amps at all times so you won’t pop a breaker. So you shouldn’t need anymore “load shedding” by your surge protector. This is a bit confusing because it is not the same as the earlier post (few years ago) suggesting you get an “Electrical Management System (EMS)” which is surge and electrical faults protection.
Where did you install yours?
Any photos?

2017 Redwood 3401RL
8K MORryde IS
Kodiak Disk Brakes
SAILUN S637 215/75R17.5 L
RW-3401RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:11 AM   #25

I don't have any pictures, but I installed my EMS below the automatic transfer relay switch (Furrion F50-ATS) which is located on the back wall of the front battery compartment just above and behind the batteries.

I removed the shore power cord from the ATS and installed it into the Line/Input spot of the EMS and then had 6awg (50amp) jumper go from the EMS load/output spot back into the ATS shore power cord spot.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:44 AM   #26

I notice the Hughes Autoformer is quite a bit bigger than the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. It's 12"x9" whereas the HW50C is about 5" x 9" so it will probably still physically fit, but might be very close to contacting the generator compartment. Even if it still fits, the ATS (factory installed) is about 2 lbs and the HW50C is about 3 lbs. I mounted the HW50C to the same two wooden members running vertically that the ATS was mounted to. I could only feel the wooden studs behind the black cloth that I mounted to but guess they are 1" x 1" each. Anyhow, I'm not sure they are strong enough alone to mount a 35 lb Hughes Autoformer to.