Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #1

Power cord reel not retracting

We have the repairman out. The power cord reel has electricity coming to it, but won't retract. Says it is the reel itself, and is getting me a cost to replace.

I've read a lot of threads on it. Not sure I want to tackle this one myself. Was hoping it would be a simple thing like a wire coming undone.

Will update once we figure out what we are going to do.
Whit461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Try just moving the reel by hand. These power reels have a tendency to find flat spots where they lose contact with the internal electrodes. They usually cost between $700 and $800 to replace
Old 11-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #3

Are you able to look up u der the skirt metal to see the ends of the power cord reel? Try to determine if it is by Southwire. Usually a sticker on one end that states warranty void if opened but they normally don’t void warranty just for opening them up. Start tearing into then and that will void your warranty if you are under warranty. Sometimes the motor spins but the reel
Won’t spin. There is a repair kit for that.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #4

Ours quit working a couple years ago. Spoiler, it turned out to be the switch. I was packing up to go and the cord real is close to the last thing done and wouldn’t wind up. I didn’t want to mess with it then so I rolled it up by hand. What a pita that was. Next RV park I was able to look it over and diagnosed it down to the switch. At least at that point I could operate it by manually touching the wires together till I got a new switch. If you have 12v at the switch, check to the motor. You can check all this at the switch harness with a VOM.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #5

Can you hear the motor running? If the motor is not running it is most likely the switch. I have replaced that. If the motor is running there are two possibilities: 1) the drive plate on the motor has either 6 or 8 steel pins around the face which engage into holes on the reel plate. It is possible that the pins have fallen out It happened on mine. This fix required dropping the reel. Not a difficult job. 2) the clutch is a felt pad with a round plate held by socket head screws. The screws loosen and the clutch slips. The fix for this is to simply remove the end cover on the reel and tighten the screws, BUT tighten only enough for the reel to turn retract the cord. Any tighter and the free-wheel extend will not work. I think that somewhere in these threads you will find pictures that I posted of a repair. I look around and see if I can find it. Unless the motor itself is burned out, which is highly unlikely, there is no need to replace the unit.

Bob & Judy
2017 38RL
..Slide-n-Slide..Triple A/C
..MorRyde IS..Disc Brakes..Sailun 17.5" H rated tires
2016 F-350 DRW TD
..Air-Lift 5000 w/Wireless One
BobJudy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #6

Link to a few pictures. https://img.gg/hU9Rtlu

Bob & Judy
2017 38RL
..Slide-n-Slide..Triple A/C