Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #1

RW 3901MB: TrailAir to Goose Box

I have an LCI AirRide/Trail Air pinbox on my 2017 3901MB, and considering swapping in a Reese Goose Box to get rid of my B&W Companion 5thWheel. The reviews are really good, and it sounds like it’s a great unit. I do understand the increased difficulty of hookup, but really want to clean up my truck bed.

Anyone have any pros/cons I may be missing? Pulling with a 2020 F350 SBCC...

P.S.: withe the B&W Companion, the post that slides into the gooseneck ball slot, is torqued down so it pulls the hitch tight against the bed. With the Goose Box and Ball setup, will there be slop where the ball fits into the receiver that causes any problems?
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #2

The biggest draw back to me would be the Chains that are required in many states. As for slop, I would think that it should be like any Ball hitch and have adjustment to eliminate any slop. The Goose Box is the only Goose Neck setup that won't void the Frame warranty. I think it is a much better/stronger setup for those that want a clean bed when not towing that the Anderson Light Weight setup.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
The biggest draw back to me would be the Chains that are required in many states. As for slop, I would think that it should be like any Ball hitch and have adjustment to eliminate any slop. The Goose Box is the only Goose Neck setup that won't void the Frame warranty. I think it is a much better/stronger setup for those that want a clean bed when not towing that the Anderson Light Weight setup.
If I were to get the ball type hitch it would be the Goosebox.
Never have been able to wrap my head around the lightweight 35lb aluminum Anderson hitch connected to a 16.5k+lb rv with 3000-4000lb+ pin weight hammering on it, seems like an accident waiting to happen. There were times I wondered how my B&W hitch would hold up on some of our wonderful highways & there was a helluva lot more metal in it.
Just my .02 cents!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Hopefully I can live with the chains; other than the pain to hook them up, what is the problem?

Thanks for responding!!!
Old 09-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

No problem, if going that route I think the Reese Goose Box is probably the best.
My truck is used primarily to pull our RW and I like the ease with which I can hookup, because I can see my hitch in the rear view mirror.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

Absolutely the best thing we did. I have same B@W and the 20KReese Goose box with the air ride. No complaints, You wont regret it.

The ball is a machined fit and it comes with grease so it does not stick when flipping it. No slop. built very well and the goose box is also.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #7

Interested, following.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:51 PM   #8

Have you looked at an Anderson hitch? Weighs 35 pounds and takes about 10 minutes to install or take out. I've had one for about 2 years and I love it.
Redwood2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:04 AM   #9

20k Goose Box installed. Short trip around town was good. Going on a 600 mile round trip in a few weeks, will report back then.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #10

I just have a serious problem hooking up a 16 to 18k unit on something that's only 35 pounds. Maybe fine, but just really bothers the heck out of me.
My Comfort Ride Hitch weighs a ton, not really but it built as solid as a tank and I don't need any Safety Chains.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
I just have a serious problem hooking up a 16 to 18k unit on something that's only 35 pounds. Maybe fine, but just really bothers the heck out of me.
My Comfort Ride Hitch weighs a ton, not really but it built as solid as a tank and I don't need any Safety Chains.
Same here!
As Spock would say "it's not logical!".
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #12

Cool Goose Box Verses Anderson

Both of the hitches work great the real difference is cost. I've had the Anderson for four years now put about 18K on the hitch no issues. Teh Anderson takes a few minutes to install or remove as the Goose box stays with the fifth wheel. You still have the chains to deal with on both. I got my Anderson for $500 used. the other is installing the Goose neck pin box, you will need help installing not a one man job.

Good luck and just my thoughts on them both do the job both have pros and cons.

Good luck.
Rcary59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #13

I tow a 36FL and went with a 20K Goosebox. Best thing I ever did. The additional shocks and airbag make a huge difference. No more bouncing, chucking or slop at the pin. I use visual cues when hooking up and can usually nail it first or second try. As far as safety chains go, I put together a set with hooks on both ends. That way, i just hook the chains to the holes in the goosebox when hooking up so I don't have to climb in the bed of the truck.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #14

After having a repair shop tear the front end of our 38FL apart and completing major structural repairs on our Pin Box frame area last week, I would not switch to a Goosebox of any type on our Redwood, the framing is just not strong enough. (well maybe ours is now after all the additional steel and structural reinforcement that has been added)
The shop owner said he has seen some pretty serious structural damage done by Gooseboxes come into his shop for repair on some of these longer / heavier 5th Wheels.
Your mileage may vary, just my thoughts.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
After having a repair shop tear the front end of our 38FL apart and completing major structural repairs on our Pin Box frame area last week, I would not switch to a Goosebox of any type on our Redwood, the framing is just not strong enough. (well maybe ours is now after all the additional steel and structural reinforcement that has been added)
The shop owner said he has seen some pretty serious structural damage done by Gooseboxes come into his shop for repair on some of these longer / heavier 5th Wheels.
Your mileage may vary, just my thoughts.
Yikes! I have the 20k Goose Box on now. What were the signs of your structural failures so I can keep an eye out?