Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #61

Ya, I feel your pain - I was amazed at how much pin weight was on the 36RL/36RE - it was incredible and I was further saddened to learn the fresh water tank was forward of the axle so I couldn't use it at all - yet I had 8K axles and was no where near capacity on them (similar weights to yours).

It was just too risky for me on those truck tires - we already rely and gamble on them for a lot as it is.

I had the gen, and washer dryer, and with water I was at 4,320 pounds on the pin if you can believe it (3,480 without water). In fact, after I replaced the truck with a 2008 dually, I was still over the payload capacity of technically, but it had a lot of capacity left in the tires. When I went to a 2014 dually, the payload increased by over 1,000 lbs. for the same truck and then I was within all the numbers fully loaded.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT Scale loaded.pdf (2.35 MB, 15 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #62

The salesman have a scripted speech, "What truck do you have? Oh! That'll handle this unit with no problem". Of all the rvs we've bought I don't think I've ever had a salesman that had a clue about what he was selling, if I'd have locked them inside they would freeze to death, die of thirst, starved, all in the dark as that's how much they knew of the systems on what they were selling.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #63

My salesman also said the same....

When we started looking, I really wanted the 38GK but realized after a short period of time that I did not really have enough truck even though the salesman said different. I certainly did not want to buy both a new trailer and a truck so I started getting a little more realistic and looked at the 36FB.

After reading posts here about CAT weights, I really dug into what the realistic weights would be and realized that if I was not going to a Dually and keeping my 3/4 Duramax, the only thing that would come close was the 31SL. Even then, I put airbags on the truck.

Unfortunately, I think many people are in your same position. While looking at the new trailers, they trust their sales person because he has experience with previous owners and do not do the detailed research before buying.

As it is, the 31 is still pretty heavy when you load it with all the stuff you want. We are in bounds on the CAT scales but not by much.

As you can tell by my signature, I overbuilt my 31 when I ordered it but feel much better about being on that side of things. We really love the unit and there are pluses and minuses having a smaller unit, but to tell you the truth, we do not miss having the larger one my emotions wanted originally.

I agree you should buy a new truck if you can and enjoy the Redwood you really wanted.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
We were going to purchase a Luxe that grossed 18000. I checked the weight ratings for my 3500 srw and it would not work and would be overloaded. Decided on the 36rl. Looking at factory figures I was close enough to run with it. Truck handled it fine in the 200 miles from the dealer. Finished loading it installed washer and 6500 Onan. Then took it to the cat scales and found out quickly that it would not work. I was over on Tires and GVW. As others found out someone got a beautiful truck once the new dually came in
Old 10-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #65
Site Team

A number of us have been in the same position you are in. As Shane said, a few people got some really nice almost new trucks. If I was in your position, I would do what is needed as a "stop gap" as far as adding air bags and sway bars to the truck and then go looking for tires that carry a heavier load rating. This is not a "cure", but an interim measure to allow you to pull the coach till you can swing a Dually. And you DO need a Dually.

Take the pull easy, check your tire temps frequently, and try to stay 65 and under mph.

I was where you are and like Dave said "someone got a very nice 8 month old SRW F350"
Old 10-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #66

First you need to understand the rating, the weak link, tires springs or axle. Then the fix will make sense.
Pete385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:15 AM   #67

I agree with Dave, I have seen F150 / 1500 trucks pulling 35' to 38' 5th Wheels and F250 / 2500 trucks pulling 42' to 45' Triple Axle Toy haulers.

I stay clear of these guys when I see them on the highway, they are an accident looking for a place to happen !!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #68

Is it possible to have a single wheel Dodge 3500 modified with duel wheels and add an aftermarket fender along with axle/rear end if needed and maybe stronger springs? Has anyone heard of such a thing being done. Or do I just need to find a different truck?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #69

I can't imagine any cost benefit to upgrading a 12 year old truck even if such a thing were possible. The advances in towing features and capacity make a newer truck a much more cost effective solution. IMHO you need a 1 ton, diesel, dually.
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo9350 View Post
Is it possible to have a single wheel Dodge 3500 modified with duel wheels and add an aftermarket fender along with axle/rear end if needed and maybe stronger springs? Has anyone heard of such a thing being done. Or do I just need to find a different truck?
I don't know If this would help but check out arrowcraft.com.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #71

Has anyone with srw looked at upgrading to 19.5 wheels and heavy duty tires? I believe you can get 19.5 tires with load ranges of F to G (maybe H) that would boost tire capacity by 1000 pounds per tire.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Has anyone with srw looked at upgrading to 19.5 wheels and heavy duty tires? I believe you can get 19.5 tires with load ranges of F to G (maybe H) that would boost tire capacity by 1000 pounds per tire.
It will be very interesting if someone who really knows tires answers this one.

The current size tire I am running (custom wheel 20") maxes at the 3195 lbs.

I wonder about other things if you are able to get to a F, G, or even H rating. Size? Speed Rating? Approved for vehicles not trailers. Compound for mileage and traction?

Never ending list of questions I guess....
Old 10-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #73

Unless you deal with a Certified UpFitter (Classy Chassis, etc) that can Legally change the numbers for your TV, you can do all the changes you want, but won't change a thing legally.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #74

F450 Fords come with 19.5 tires. My pin weight in under the max but I may switch tires and wheels to get more cushion. I don't need it to be legal.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Unless you deal with a Certified UpFitter (Classy Chassis, etc) that can Legally change the numbers for your TV, you can do all the changes you want, but won't change a thing legally.
I can only answer in my instance, but I DID register for 1000 lbs more gvwr than the placard said here in Texas by paying a slightly higher registration fee.

Was it legal ? Yes it is here in Texas. Would it be honored everywhere, who knows ... but think it would since reciprocity does exist between states...
So, we were 'legal' as far as registration goes
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:54 AM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo9350 View Post

Yes.....

I did meet a guy who did this with success but it didn't legally change anything. He went to a salvage yard and found a F350 dually that had a front end hit. He took the rear axle and box off the wrecked truck and put them on his srw F350.

He ended up with the tires and suspension to support the weight he was carrying. I'm not sure how much $ he saved but he was happy with the results. Also, in the truck magazines there used to be a company that advertised the dual wheel conversions too.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Yes.....

I did meet a guy who did this with success but it didn't legally change anything. He went to a salvage yard and found a F350 dually that had a front end hit. He took the rear axle and box off the wrecked truck and put them on his srw F350.

He ended up with the tires and suspension to support the weight he was carrying. I'm not sure how much $ he saved but he was happy with the results. Also, in the truck magazines there used to be a company that advertised the dual wheel conversions too.
I found conversion kits at arrowcraft.com. I assume they are still available.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #78

I have been doing some research on this and the conversion kits move the wheels out so the inner wheel doesn't hit the springs, but the drawback of that is the inner bearing takes no weight and the outer bearing takes the whole load, not good. Might be fine if your just going for looks, but to carry weight I wouldn't do it. It looks like you can purchase a rear drw axle from a salvage and swap out the axle, but then you have to buy new rims because they are different than the regular rims. If you don't convert the front axle then you have to carry two different spares. By the time you get thru it looks like it would cost me around 6k or little more for parts and labor to have it installed. Oh, you have to buy a fender set and have it painted and that ads to the cost. Don't forget you have to buy two more tires well three really (two for the rear and one spare) if you don't convert the front. Looking at buying another 2004 Ram 3500 drw would cost me around 25k. Not sure what I will do at this point, but know I will have to start saving money lol. Oh like someone said, it still wouldn't make the truck legal, if I could get the DMV to upgrade it they would have to inspect it and that would cost big bucks as well. If you didn't get it upgraded by DMV then you would still be taking a chance of the state trooper stopping you and checking with portable scales. I hear California is getting wise to these longer and larger RV's and are pulling them over to check if the weights are in order. Big fines if your truck is not rated to pull it. I would imagine they would have it towed to an impound and you would have to hire someone to pull it home for you or come back with a truck that is legals to pull it. The storage fees and fines along with paying someone to pull it home for you would be very pricey I'm sure. So until I get the right truck to pull it, looks like it's gonna become a rock in my yard.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #79

That sounds like a good reason to stay out of California, I sure don't need to help them get out of debt.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #80
Site Team

A couple of years ago Illinois said that they were going to start clamping down on RVs too. I haven't seen any of it and Illinois shares the same budget issue California has.

I personally believe that if the states were truly interested in safety, they should start looking at the axle weights of the smaller Travel trailers and class C motor homes. Many of these only have a 1000 Carrying Capacity and the owners are not informed