Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 02:47 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Good one Dave
Yep good one Dave and you didn't have to add your horse power

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Good one Dave

Shane....folks tend to take this truck comparison too seriously. The fun thing about these new diesels is that they're all good. With a good check book and a little money it's amazing what you can make them do. You just have to ask yourself.....how much power do you really need?

To be honest, I have fun with my truck but really it's got too much power. I don't think I'd spend the money and tune another truck. These trucks have enough power coming out of the factory. But then again....boys will be boys
Old 01-04-2015, 03:10 AM   #63

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I agree some people take politics and religion to seriously as well. I t is all in good fun. I have had all 3 over the years and most of them were good trucks. They all have good and bad points depending on the year and model. Last of all you can't take it with you
Old 01-04-2015, 03:38 AM   #64

I like my truck

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
Many talk about the power and speed to pull our toys up the hills. I'm more concerned with the stopping ability of my truck going down a steep hill while towing my RW. I haven't had the opportunity to pull my new RW that much since I purchased it (winter), but during the 100 mile trip back from the dealership I had the chance to use the tow/haul mode with the exhaust brakes going down some hills and I was very pleased with the performance of my truck. Not to say the other truck makes can't do the same, but to me being able to stop out weights my speed to the top of the hill. JMO

The Dodges, and their Cummins engine brakes, and the way the transmission works, you hardly even have to touch your brakes going downhills. IMO, the Cummins engine brake is unbeatable. On some huge downhill runs, I even have to give it some fuel to keep from going very slow downhill. I'll give Chevy credit, they are close in downhill braking, if they have the Alison. It does a good job downshifting, and keeping the truck in good downhill control. But, as I have stated, all 3 of them are very close, and it just comes to a general preferance.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #66

Quote:
I agree some people take politics and religion to seriously as well. I t is all in good fun. I have had all 3 over the years and most of them were good trucks. They all have good and bad points depending on the year and model. Last of all you can't take it with you
I agree, they are all good trucks, that's why I use politics as my shopping criteria
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I agree, they are all good trucks, that's why I use politics as my shopping criteria
^Did you email President Bush about your disdain for the bailouts?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
^Did you email President Bush about your disdain for the bailouts?
Why Jerry, are you trying to interject politics into this thread? I thought you were opposed to that
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Why Jerry, are you trying to interject politics into this thread? I thought you were opposed to that
No, you said you use politics to decide which truck to buy. I assumed you had stated your disdain for the bailouts to the guy that brought them to us. Politics should never be brought up in this forum, but you always seem to do it.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #70

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Did you guys see the picture of the Dodge with the Obama statue where the Ram used to be
Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #71
Site Team

Okay all of you very knowledgeable truck "guys or gals" out there.......

I have a serious question. When I was pulling up towards Monarch Pass on the way from Colorado Springs to Gunnison in June 2013, I was watching the coolant temperature and transmission temperature very closely. When the coolant temperature reached 219 degres, I backed off to 30 MPH. I figured I would rather be slow than too hot. My question is.........What is a safe maximum coolant or transmission temperature on these trucks now days?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post

I have a serious question. When I was pulling up towards Monarch Pass on the way from Colorado Springs to Gunnison in June 2013, I was watching the coolant temperature and transmission temperature very closely. When the coolant temperature reached 219 degres, I backed off to 30 MPH. I figured I would rather be slow than too hot. My question is.........What is a safe maximum coolant or transmission temperature on these trucks now days?

http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

Guy this help you
Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post

I asked my Dodge dealer about this kind of temperature on hills, and they said everything is fine for short periods, crossing mountains. On your Dodge, the fan clutch should have kicked in at about 217, and cooled your engine off. My transmission temperature averages around 160, in hot weather, crossing hills.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #74

Quote:
Did you guys see the picture of the Dodge with the Obama statue where the Ram used to be
No, but to be correct with actual facts, it should have been a Bush statue. And, the picture should have also had a Chevy involved.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #75

Guy...spikes in temperature for short durations isn't what you should be concerned about. It's the delta between oil and coolant temperatures that should remain fairly consistent...and it can be different for different trucks. If you see a significant change in the delta, I'd be concerned.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
No, but to be correct with actual facts, it should have been a Bush statue. And, the picture should have also had a Chevy involved.
Jerry...I gotta ask. Does your blood pressure rise while writing these posts? You "sound" as though you take this stuff way too seriously and I honestly want to see you live a long and fruitful life, without being heavily medicated. I'm not trying to be a smart azz...really. This should be a fun place to go for everyone.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Jerry...I gotta ask. Does your blood pressure rise while writing these posts? You "sound" as though you take this stuff way too seriously and I honestly want to see you live a long and fruitful life, without being heavily medicated. I'm not trying to be a smart azz...really. This should be a fun place to go for everyone.
Absolutely not. I love this place. I just like to make sure the truth is told when politics are brought up. If someone sees the need to post political views on an RV forum, someone just needs to make sure the truth is told. I, for one, see no need to talk politics on this forum, yet others seem to think it is a proper place to interject political views. FTR, my only medication is a cold beer sometimes, and an occasional, good Kentucky bourbon.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:08 AM   #78

OK...just checkin' because some of your posts are made without emoticons and personally, I can't always get a read on what's going through that pumpkin of yours.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
OK...just checkin' because some of your posts are made without emoticons and personally, I can't always get a read on what's going through that pumpkin of yours.
I just don't tend to click on the emoticons
Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 AM   #80
Site Team

I just checked some diesel truck forums..............I have never visited the truck forums before. For what it is worth............

One fellow mentions that his F350 truck's coolant temperature reached 235 degrees F pulling a 5th wheel in hills. Another says that a warning light should come on at 240 degrees F.

On a Chevy forum, one fellow says he has had his 3500HD in the 230 to 235 degrees F while pulling in the California passes.

On a Dodge RAM forum, one fellow says that the truck service manual says that the maximum coolant temperature can be as high as 230 degrees F.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote