Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #1

Worn Line in Hydraulic Hose Passing Thru Frame

We've owned a 2013 36FB for 5 years and have really enjoyed being part of the Redwood Family. No trips to the shop as the minor repairs over the years, I completed usually with help from this forum!

I recently needed spine surgery so I couldn't fix a significant hydraulic leak in the mid-belly of our rig. The repair shop I chose has outstanding reviews (4.9 Stars out of 46 Google reviews), a relative new shop that came about after a national company took over a long-term local dealer and the service folks went out on their own.

Repairing the Hydraulic leak was necessary. Since the underbelly would be exposed, I chose to have them address a nonessential issue, a leak in the water supply to the icemaker.

They reported that both issues were due to lines passing unprotected through holes in the frame. A simple plastic bushing protecting the hydraulic and water lines going through rough cut holes would have saved me an $1,800 repair.

I don't know if Factory folks often see this forum but someone was asleep the day my rig was constructed and I paid for their nap.

2013 Redwood 36 FB adopted Nov 2015
2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Long bed
Always with our dogs - P.T. & Baylee
hmdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:40 AM   #2

I have yet to see a bushing to protect lines (hydraulic or water) or wires passing through holes in the frame or chassis. Look at all the wires running through the belly of the beast, just passing through the Z cross supports not even tied to hole them in place, and it's not just RW, read any RV Forum and you'll read the same story.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:08 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. I recently built my own home for living out our retirement years. The steps I took to delay future maintenance were so practical and easy to do, before everything was covered up. Guess my next project is to do my own RV. Don't mention this to my Better Half!

2013 Redwood 36 FB adopted Nov 2015
2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Long bed
Always with our dogs - P.T. & Baylee
hmdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #4

Curious on how you found the ice maker hose was leaking? I have a water leak that I've been trying to chase down for a few months now. Water appears under the fridge and runs along the lip of the slide towards the stove. It doesn't happen all the time or when it rains so I suspected the ice maker since it originates at the fridge. Mine is also a 2013 Redwood. Any help is appreciated.
Jeffmurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

Ice maker water line leaking

I was able to trace down the ice maker water line leak by shutting off the water to it and the leak stopped. The shut off is under the island sink. The hose had a very small pin hole in the slide out behind the refrigerator. I cut the hose and changed the last 18” to copper.
Tried to take a photo of the shut off. Hard to get to but you will see the 1/4” tubbing going to it.
I have been putting cord wrap around all wires and hoses that are accessible to slow down the wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56AE82C0-63A3-4FF1-9E01-ADFD8C272B2F.jpg (188.0 KB, 6 views)
kwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Ice maker water line leak

The shut off is on the blue line (cold). The shut off on red line is for dishwasher.
kwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #7

I found my leak where the icemaker line connects to the shutoff. Take out the spice rack, and drawers and it's no bad to get to. (With one arm LOL) 36RE MODEL. 2013 yr. I've since changed the fridge to a samsung and added a inverter dedicated to the fridge..
skipperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #8

Awesome. Would have never thought to look under the island for it originating. Thank you.
Jeffmurkin is offline   Reply With Quote