Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #441
Site Team

That's a good point Tom and well stated.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #442

We have had our RW for over 14 months and lived in it for 13 months full time. Circumstances have changes with my work and we did buy a house and move out of the RW in end of Jan this year. During the time we lived in the RW did not encounter any real problems the trailer but we did not pull it more than 6 times and no more than 200 miles on each trip. I don't plan on pulling it much more than that this year I plan on keeping a eye on the suspension for any issues. I inspected the brakes and they were fine no grease in the drums. Not that the brakes work that great but for our travels I am OK with them for now. Stupid door has been replaced and repainted. So far happy with the RW and its performance but I will say It took some serious screaming to get the door fixed as RW did not want to honor the repair made it sound like we should have done some invisible maintance on the door to keep it from separating (WHATEVER) in the end it was covered. Our Dealer stepped up and said if RW would not cover they would.

Would I buy another RW most likely no. Would I tell anyone to buy one I think there are better options out there now in the same price point. To bad for RW cause they had chance to be a Leader but now seems like they are just a follower in the market.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #443

Oh I think the worst is yet to come. We may have the only good Redwoods.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #444

Thanks hoosier guy,usefull info.
41WILLYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Installed a new dishwasher, screen door protectors and bars.

Steve
Nice job Steve. Looks great. Hope to see you guys at the rally this year. Maybe I can throw in my beer can collection. Might have something you would want.
Bryant
Holmgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Oh I think the worst is yet to come. We may have the only good Redwoods.
Maybe we could all get some cool black leather jackets like your avatar with "Redwood Original" patches. That is a cool avatar !

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradolivin View Post
Maybe we could all get some cool black leather jackets like your avatar with "Redwood Original" patches. That is a cool avatar !
hahaha - I wondered if anybody noticed my Sons of Anarchy avatar
Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #448

Steve - what went out on your dishwasher?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #449

Today was a big day!! Ron's installers came an installed the Titan Disc Brakes. Road tested......wow what a difference! They feel better, will be less stressful and will be a lot less to maintain!!.......I am a happy camper. My electric brakes were starting to seep grease but generally were not in too bad of shape. Grease visible in 2 of the 4 drums.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Today was a big day!! Ron's installers came an installed the Titan Disc Brakes. Road tested......wow what a difference! They feel better, will be less stressful and will be a lot less to maintain!!.......I am a happy camper. My electric brakes were starting to seep grease but generally were not in too bad of shape. Grease visible in 2 of the 4 drums.
Looking forward to our first road test here in the next couple days.
Just curious, Ron said to play around with the settings on the controller. On our Ram, we have:
Light electric
Heavy electric
Light electric over hydraulic
Heavy electric over hydraulic

Does the Ford have something like that ???
Which did you choose ??

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #451

Quote:
Steve - what went out on your dishwasher?
It was our fault sort of. Our RW did not have the dishwasher option so I added it. My wife found a used unit that was hardly used but come to find out it was used for storage and the tracks were not to good and last time out it wouldn't start. Didn't bother even to look why. Just ordered a new one this time.
NOTHING to do with RW on this problem.

Steve
Old 03-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #452

Quote:
Just curious, Ron said to play around with the settings on the controller. On our Ram, we have:
Light electric
Heavy electric

Which did you choose ??
No. my ford only has "electric" or "electric over Hydraulic", that's it. We set it on "Electric over Hydraulic"
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #453

Quote:
No. my ford only has "electric" or "electric over Hydraulic", that's it. We set it on "Electric over Hydraulic"
Ok, sounds good. Probably try something like that first

Old 03-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #454

Quote:
Light electric
Heavy electric

Which did you choose ??
On my 2013 Ford 350 the choice was electric or electric over hydraulic. My new 2016 Silverado does not have a choice. The integrated brake controller works with either type of brakes.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #455

Quote:
Awesome! Love my disks
Old 03-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #456

Quote:
But we aren't really talking apples to apples here - sure there are nicer 5ers like DRV (now Heartland), Continental Coach and New Horizons (ugly by the way), but look a the price tag! That's like buying a Chevy and expecting Mercedes customer service.

For the price of a New Horizons, I would expect to be provided a driver and a girlfriend, but I bought a midrange Redwood with some nice features but the same haunting construction as similar industry.

There are a lot of disappointed DRV owners at there as well - I know a few.
I have a few DRV owners on our RV park and all of them have told me they would not buy another on due to them not standing behind their warranty and mechanical problems. I have seen every type of Rv there is and all have problems some have more than others and from what I have seen here at my park RW isn't as bad as some my think. Even though my rig is in the shop shake down repairs I am still happy with my choice. All we can do is hope that RW learns from past mistakes.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
I have a few DRV owners on our RV park and all of them have told me they would not buy another on due to them not standing behind their warranty and mechanical problems. I have seen every type of Rv there is and all have problems some have more than others and from what I have seen here at my park RW isn't as bad as some my think. Even though my rig is in the shop shake down repairs I am still happy with my choice. All we can do is hope that RW learns from past mistakes.
Atom ant . I do agree
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:22 AM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I'm with you, Guy, we love our Redwood but that "love" didn't come without a price. Thank goodness we haven't experienced a major failure. I gotta' tell you though, I really feel terrible for some of our members and the hoops they have to go through to be serviced in a professional manner. It's a little embarrassing, quite frankly. What do you say to someone who comes up to you in a campground and asks you for your opinion on RW? Well, assuming you haven't had a problem with your coach, you speak like an attorney so as not to impugn the reputation of RW because you know darn well that RW hasn't gone out of its way for its customers. The other route is to give the good the bad and the ugly.

I suspect RW believes that the Forum membership is so insignificant relative to units sold that they really don't put a whole lot of weight to what information comes out of these pages.
Certainly sums up well the prevailing thoughts of many on this forum.

We love our RW and feel fortunate that we haven't experienced some of the serious problems that others have. And yet we can't help but feel tremendous disappointment that we cannot give a glowing endorsement and recommendation to those contemplating a purchase of a new RW. We have yet another management change. I am trying to be optimistic that this change will be exactly what RW needs, but that will take some convincing.

As for whether the membership here is so insignificant that it doesn't carry much weight, I have to wonder. For those if you who use Facebook, you might want to check out the Redwood Owners RV Group. This is a closed group, but must be fairly easy to join. At any rate, I have seen more than one prospective buyer say, "I'm thinking of buying a RW, but hearing things that are making me rethink that." There is one such post by a Ms. Barwick from December, with replies posted just recently. I know there are a few of you here that might find some of the responses quite interesting.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #459
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I'm with you, Guy, we love our Redwood but that "love" didn't come without a price. Thank goodness we haven't experienced a major failure. I gotta' tell you though, I really feel terrible for some of our members and the hoops they have to go through to be serviced in a professional manner. It's a little embarrassing, quite frankly. What do you say to someone who comes up to you in a campground and asks you for your opinion on RW? Well, assuming you haven't had a problem with your coach, you speak like an attorney so as not to impugn the reputation of RW because you know darn well that RW hasn't gone out of its way for its customers. The other route is to give the good the bad and the ugly.

I suspect RW believes that the Forum membership is so insignificant relative to units sold that they really don't put a whole lot of weight to what information comes out of these pages.

Tom,

Relative to your last statement.........back in 2011 prior to ordering our 36RL, we took a factory tour. We were guided by a former RW regional manager who I felt was very knowledgeable about the Redwood product and manufacturing processes. Most all questions I asked were answered in a very good manor, but, I was somewhat puzzled by his answer to my question about RV issues I had read about on RV forums (not the Redwood forum which I did not even know about at the time). I had commented about the biggest issues that I had found reading RV forums were related to suspension systems, wheels/tires and brakes. His response was (I am paraphrasing) "Oh, most of the people that post on those forums are the complainers and we don't pay any attention to the forums". I remember thinking at the time, "but, Redwood says they listen to what the customer wants"!

I tend to agree that if a customer has a problem, they will be more likely to post about it than if they are extremely happy with their coach. I also think that only a very small percentage of Redwood owners participate in these forums. Most Redwood owners likely don't even know that the forums exist. I have asked several times upon meeting other RW owners if they are on the forum and they aren't aware of it.

I have thought that it was a good sign, that during last year or so, that Redwood had someone participating on the forum. I hope that Redwood keeps up with the participation and tries to maintain some dialog with owners to get feedback about what they are doing wrong or right with the product. Hopefully the new management team will try to kindle that relationship on behalf of themselves and the owners.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
His response was (I am paraphrasing) "Oh, most of the people that post on those forums are the complainers and we don't pay any attention to the forums".
Guy
When we first started looking in 2012 - Redwood even owned the forum, and didn't read it. Maybe they did in the background, but they never made a peep about it.