Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 12:48 AM   #561

Well we did the mohrridye 4000 sre and some stuff still fell off the wall in the rear...yet to be determined...

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 AM   #562

Yes, U-bolts were long enough even with the thicker top plate. Pretty easy and the worst was drilling the frame but not hard since I have all the tools. If anyone is going to do this make sure you pick up a 12" 11/32 drill bit. The longer one will allow you to not have to deal with the spring in the way.

Steve
Old 04-23-2016, 01:55 AM   #563

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Looks good Steve
I am still waiting for the longe r bracket to show up so l c@n install them
Old 04-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #564

Didn't do it myself but...2 1/2 year old springs snapped, cutting into the tires of course. Of course it was on a busy highway with a narrow breakdown lane. Had to have the axle chained and blocked for the tow. Coachnet had a wrecker and the police onsite within 10 minutes. The spring shop I was towed to gave us electricity so it wasn't too bad a night. They replaced all four spring sets. I saw the original plastic bushings and according to my viewing and the technician, they were in fine shape. Four new spring sets and 2 new tires and I was on my way the next day.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:41 AM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
Didn't do it myself but...2 1/2 year old springs snapped, cutting into the tires of course. Of course it was on a busy highway with a narrow breakdown lane. Had to have the axle chained and blocked for the tow. Coachnet had a wrecker and the police onsite within 10 minutes. The spring shop I was towed to gave us electricity so it wasn't too bad a night. They replaced all four spring sets. I saw the original plastic bushings and according to my viewing and the technician, they were in fine shape. Four new spring sets and 2 new tires and I was on my way the next day.
Glad you guys are OK...it could have been a much worse outcome. We also experienced broken springs just prior to leaving on a cross country trip. Hope you have a smooth trip home.

Bob and Debbie
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:45 AM   #566

So, when a few of you have replaced the springs has it been with an exact replacement or a upgraded one?
If upgraded should this also be on my list to change out since they will fail or could it be select years of the RW's.

Steve
Old 04-23-2016, 04:32 AM   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
So, when a few of you have replaced the springs has it been with an exact replacement or a upgraded one?
If upgraded should this also be on my list to change out since they will fail or could it be select years of the RW's.

Steve
We were getting ready to leave on a trip when our broken spring problem was discovered. I called a couple of places that stated they didn't stock the springs, but could order them. I was able to locate a shop that was able to make replacements...took them one day. I had to replace both sets on the right side of the rig.

The new ones were a little thicker, so I also had to replace the u-bolts to have enough length to go through the plate on top of the axle.

After we got on the road, I notice that the side with new springs rode higher than the other side. When we get back to Dallas I'm going to replace the left side springs also...so the trailer will tow level, and also to get rid older springs as they might be subject to failure also.

Our RW is a 2012 36FL. Not sure if the age of the unit has anything to do with the spring failure. For what it's worth, the original springs were stamped "Made in China". Maybe the springs are related to the tires made in China!

Steve, I'm also curious what difference your suspension upgrade made. Ride improvement will be my next upgrade.

Thanks, Bob
Old 04-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #568

Where is the weak spot where the springs are breaking. Curious if it is the top spring or one of the others?
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Where is the weak spot where the springs are breaking. Curious if it is the top spring or one of the others?
On one set, the main spring that bolts to the frame was completely broke, and two of the others. On the other set, two of the shorter springs were broke, and the main spring was mis-shaped...probably close to failure.

Bob
Old 04-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #570

I was wondering the same as Steve about the quality of the springs, since I fulltime and travel year round, is it worth the investment to replace all the springs with better quality springs ?
Sure do not want a spring failure on the road, always rather spend a little extra on preventative / predictive maintenance upgrades and prevent an unexpected failure.
Already have the Moryde SRE 4000 installed for quite a few problem free miles, Ron is doing the Disc Brake upgrade at the Rally in Shipshewana this summer, going to upgrade to the 17.5 tires by the end of the year.
Should I put new / better quality springs on my list too?
If I put new springs on my list, anybody have a source for good quality springs ?
Very happy with my Redwood, got it the way I want it and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future, nothing currently on the market that would make me want to change.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #571

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Rob
Springs are cheap and if you are worried about them upgrade to 8000 lb ones. I personally think that if your springs were bad they would have let go already. You put on more miles than the op that have had problems with theirs. I have not heard of any going bad other than 2012 models. Just remember when going to heavier springs that they will stiffen the ride of the trailer
Old 04-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Rob
Springs are cheap and if you are worried about them upgrade to 8000 lb ones. I personally think that if your springs were bad they would have let go already. You put on more miles than the op that have had problems with theirs. I have not heard of any going bad other than 2012 models. Just remember when going to heavier springs that they will stiffen the ride of the trailer
Shane that's good news about no failures on the newer models just trying to stay ahead of the weak link failures.
Lets hope it was just a bad batch of Chinese springs not metal fatigue due to age and as the newer year model Redwoods get more age and use on them, the springs will start failing.
With my recent life changing events, I have lightened up my Redwoods weight significantly so I am going to get it weighted again at the Rally before I do anything about the Springs.
l will look at springs when I get the 17.5 tires later this year, but first things first, getting Disc Brakes from Ron at the Rally.
When rotating the tires on my GMC, the front rotors were black from heat.
I have noticed the GMC brakes chattering on a some downhill stops, so Disc Brakes are first.

Now I have the Lifetime RV Armor Roof, Dometic 320 Toilet (that works great), Moryde SRE 4000, reworked and much better working A/C System and numerous little other upgrades / mods to make my Redwood my own, I keep checking the weak links and problem designs off my list, eventually I will have a great 5th Wheel.
Still concerned about the Tri Gide Pin Box even though Redwood / Lippert sent me a new Tri Glide after the failure last year. (requested a Flex Air but did not get it as a replacement)
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #573

I'm with you Rob, want to avoid travel break downs. We are planning the disc/17.5 upgrades this fall when we park for winter. I'm hoping that the spring failure was just a bad batch & with as many miles as we have on ours it surely would've been noticed by now.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #574

Rob
I here ya. If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any at all. I'm like you I don't see anything out there that makes me want to change. And with all the upgrades I will have a better trailer than spending a lot more on a new model. Besides these upgrades are cheaper than buying the real high dollar trailers
Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #575

Skid Wheels

What I did today (really over the last few weeks for so)

1) I added skid wheels to help save my ladder one day.
2) Added LED lights to the front gen/storage/battery bay.
3) Wired my water pump to a wall switch in the bathroom. I always seem to forget to turn it on when making those roadside stops. I just used my wall switch for the vent fan, since you have to reach up there to open it, might as well turn it on up there as well. So just bypassed wiring at wall switch for fan and used the switch to close the circuit to water pump at the main "lighted" switch in control box. Also while in that area, found what looks like a CAT5 cable that was taped off - anyone know where that one goes or used for?

Also a few more upgrades in the works! - LED bulbs in main storage bay, New outside (street side) work/scare light, new under frame (yellow) light for hookups late at night (easy on the neighbors), Upgrade to LED tail lights w/ new backup lights on the hitch bar and finally (maybe) ceiling mount TV bracket in storage bay....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Skid Wheels 2016.jpg (222.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg RV Front Service Bay Lighting.jpg (94.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg RV Unknown Wire End Connector.jpg (96.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg RV Unknown Wire.jpg (135.7 KB, 5 views)
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #576

For anyone wanting/needing to replace the springs on a 7,000# axle, the universal part number is 7227.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #577

830hvacman,

I believe the cable is for the maxair vent ....probably for an option in the bath. My hall wire was damaged during the build...it took a while to find the problem.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #578
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Rob
I wish this was the case but it's not. Last summer (I believe it was in July 2015) I came across a friendly couple out of the St Louis area with a 2015 MB with a problem with a broken spring. I hope this was an isolated example but I believe there were a few other just this past year.

It would be interesting to track which side the broken springs are on of the trailers.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #579

There are always isolated incidents of product failures. I have had to de@l with alot over the years. I personally think that spring breakage is very low on this forum. There is a possibility if trailers are running heavy that the chances of problems are there over extended use. There is a fine line between having a spring that does its job and not beating the sh!! Out of the trailer and the load it carrys. Going to heavy springs will keep them from bre@king but at what cost to the load. If there were more than the 1/2 dozen that I have heard of there would be room for concern. The other problem in this is that we do not hear of a lot of things good or bad because the majority of everyone purchasing an RV is not on a RV forum. Company's that build, replace and install springs could probably give us better in site as to if this is common in the rv industry.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #580

Got the hardwired back up camera finished and it looked easy but I have to say running all the wires the proper way was not easy!!! That rear cap on the RW was the hardest since it is stuffed with insulation and I wanted the camera mounted above the rear window in the black so not as noticeable.
Moving onto the screen door window kit and lots of organizing storage inside to prepare for full time.
Will be replacing the stock fuel tank in the truck with a 61 gallon and also adding the Patriot Stealth retractable cover in a few weeks.

Steve