Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #81

I hope this gets presented to the Redwood reps at this year's rally. But the same issues are presented each year and still keep occurring. Kinda like butting your head up against a stone wall.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 AM   #82

Sorry ladies!! Makes me want to laugh everytime I hear "oh those are Amish built". Too bad the manufacturers can't trace all the repeated repairs, ie microwave vent, cable runs, leaking shower doors, back to the individuals that keep doing shoddy work & dock their pay or show them the door.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #83

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Ladies
sorry to hear of the problems you are having. I agree that a lot of these issues should not be happening as they are repeat issues. Quality issues with hoses molding slide alignment etc should never happen.In an assembly line every thing should be done the same every time. Problem is it is done wrong every time. Supplier parts is a different issue. They all use the same parts. There is no excuse for not running everything to ensure it is working properly prior to releasing it tto the purchaser.The RV industry is not going to change until us consumers quit buying sub standard equipment. I hope you can get the bugs out quickly so you can enjoy yourselves.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #84

If you go to U-tube & witness the way the RV industry trains their production teams to "slap together" these things in world record speed,(time is $$ to them) it's no wonder that we have so many quality control issue(s). I was hoping that Crossroads(Redwood) would have a different mindset but apparently that isn't the case. These issues could easily be resolved if the production teams were ordered & trained by management to put these things together the RIGHT WAY & give them (teams) a REASONABLE TIME FRAME to do it.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #85

With the price of these units I think most of us thought they might not be sub standard, but I suppose those that are putting them together don't know or care what the final cost is .
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #86

I'm hoping for no more problems but I won't say that to loud...RW came through with fixing everything just took more time than I'd/we'd of liked. Steve has more patience than I do. What I'm most tee'd off about is McGeorge's RV, I emailed everyone from the top down with one response that said someone from service will be in touch within a few days, chirp chirp it's been since March.I will never ever endorse them in anyway keep driving past that's all I have to say. I had a good sales guy no complaints with him but if you can't pick up the phone when someone's brand new expensive RW has spent more time being fixed...don't waste your time or money with them...O.K. I'm DONE I got that out
Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 AM   #87

Sorry to hear about your issues, but not surprised. We took delivery of our 39MB on 2/10/15 and our list is as long or longer. Plus a few paint issues. Most of them are fixed as well as CW has been able to. Right now our biggest issue is that the entry door is tearing itself apart at the hinge side and CW cannot fix it. RW has been unresponsive on if they want to fix/replace it. Going to try 1 more time Thursday, furnace stopped working and a window CW replaced is leaking.

It could go on but I will quit, getting frustrated.

Rick
Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 AM   #88

I'm simply not going to subject myself again to performing RW's quality control and the repairs associated with QC follow-up. Simply way too much effort to expend after having spent this kind of money.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:13 AM   #89

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues, but not surprised. We took delivery of our 39MB on 2/10/15 and our list is as long or longer. Plus a few paint issues. Most of them are fixed as well as CW has been able to. Right now our biggest issue is that the entry door is tearing itself apart at the hinge side and CW cannot fix it. RW has been unresponsive on if they want to fix/replace it. Going to try 1 more time Thursday, furnace stopped working and a window CW replaced is leaking.

It could go on but I will quit, getting frustrated.

Rick
Rick
I had the same problem with the door seperating at the hinge side. Redwood sent a new door, They had to paint it and now the new door is doing the same thing. sounds like they are sending another door.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #90

Shane,

Hope it works this time. There were 6 new RW's on the lot at the last CW where ours was last worked on. They all had the issue with the door. 2 of them you could not close them. Make me wonder why RW does not have a fix yet. Maybe they do not know how.

Rick
Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #91

We are distressed to see this seeming acceleration of QC issues. We had a few, to be sure, but at the time, RW was making a professed effort to put a stop to the stupid in the factory. I mean, I can't imagine running a company where the same guy is doing the same mistake every day on the line and costing the company quadruple in warranty claims (and priceless brand equity) at the other end of the deal. But maybe that's how you make money in the RV business. Either way, I hope it improves quickly or we will have to stop recommending the brand. Random mistakes here and there, ok, but habitual repeat sloppiness is intolerable. Jim Lazzarino must have some sort of plan, he's a smart guy. Time will tell. Our RW is great, and issues have been handled promptly and to our satisfaction, that shouldn't be a one-off. Hoping for the best, we would like to buy a new one when this one is a little older! I can also appreciate that when people have a problem and are unhappy they run to kick up dust about it (rightfully so), but rarely make an effort to give credit where it's due. Just human nature. There are thousands of RW's out there.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #92

We have a 2012 38BR which RW has stopped making. We had a number of minor alignment issues that our dealer was able to fix. One issue that I will be asking RW to look at during the rally is the alignment of our bedroom slide... It sticks out about 1" on the back slide and the dealer said they could not do more because the slide when closed is crushing the bathroom wall. I also have a leak when the unit is closed on the back of the driver side living room slide out... carpet now has mildew smell. My only other option will be to cover the unit for the winter... a bit of an expensive fix if you ask me.

My wife would like to upgrade... based on all the stuff I have seen here it won't be a new RW... I will buy used after some poor schmuck has fixed all the bugs!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #93

You know it's sad that rw had stopped making the br my wife and I really liked the layout and it did work for us except the tight corner by the bedroom entry and small bathroom. But we had just to many issues with ours and couldn't get a br to replace this one so we chose the gk instead. But it is sad rw did away with that plan
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I promised this some time ago, so here goes the results of our first two months in our new 2016 39MB:

2016 Redwood 39MB VIN: 4V0FC3926GR005786
Summary of defects/issues found in the first 2 months of ownership.
1) Induction Cook Top not functional, found it was never plugged in.
2) Two smaller Island Counter drawers, latches ½” off, found swapping drawers fixed the alignment issue.
3) Turned on furnace to verify operation and was greeted with a face full of sawdust blown out of the heat ducts.
4) Waste basket latch broken.
5) No screws in the Generator compartment latch striker plates.
6) No info supplied on the Inverter Remote.
7) Microwave-Convection Oven/Stove Hood Vent doesn’t open – cutout in wall doesn’t align with the oven (a known issue since Redwood day one).
8) Main Living Room Slide 1” out of square when extended (rear is 1” less than front).
Minor issue now since it doesn’t want to retract. Been to the local Dealer (Ballantyne RV in Victor, NY) and they have ordered a part (pressure switch) on the hydraulic manifold that has nothing to do with the slides.
9) The usual assorted Coax cables with no labels or if labeled it’s incorrect, plus splitters in-line with roof sat cables (not acceptable for use with DirecTV/Winegard Slim Line Dish). Plus found several cables with no attachment at their opposite end and several pinched between frame and outside wall behind Entertainment Center.
10) Water pump could not be turned off, found wires shorted together at switch in convenience center.
11) Generator Door Gas Strut Mount held in by only one screw which pulled out upon opening door.
12) Shore Power Cable into Transfer Switch had numerous broken/cut strands, plus insulation on conductors was cut when removing cable jacket.
13) Washer Drain Hose partially crushed causing Washer faults. We pulled Washer and re-routed hose.

14) Defective casting on one wheel, causing the loss of 4 to 5 pounds of air per day (we purchased a new wheel since we got little to no help from either Lazydays or Redwood and we were scheduled to head North the following week).
15) Generator was never run to verify proper operation (hour meter was at 0.0).
16) Molding on Rear Front of Main Living room Slide falling off. Two staples on the top that just barely caught, and two near the bottom that never hit anything.

This is way too many issues and problems for a $100,000.00 plus Fifth Wheel. We’re really wishing we had listened to one salesman who suggested keeping our 2012 unit and just upgrading to the newer features we wanted as we had all the Bugs worked out of it, but never in the world did we expect to end up with this many issue/problems in what is suppose too be a High End unit.
Michelle.....
Reference #7 microwave-convection vent issue:
I went outside today to check mine & noticed thumb latches on the exterior portion of the exhaust vent which secures the exhaust flap to keep it flush & closed. The only thing that I can figure is that this is to prevent unwanted visitors ( rodents, etc) from entering the coach ? Were you aware of this because there is no way to use the exhaust vent if this flap is secured ? I'll try to post a pic.
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #95

Thumb Latches

Those thumb latches are to be deployed when it's windy or when you are underway to keep the flap from banging open and closed and destroying itself.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Those thumb latches are to be deployed when it's windy or when you are underway to keep the flap from banging open and closed and destroying itself.
Sure would be nice if that was mentioned by Redwood to prospective customers or during their PDI by the selling dealer. Who the heck would even think of checking for thumb latches on a convection oven exhaust vent ? Unbelievable !
Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #97

OMIGOSH do not even get me started on what they should be teaching us when we take delivery. That's what this forum is good for, so make sure you ASK!! Learn from all of our mistakes!! Haha!! This is actually the biggest reason we always buy NEW. There are SO MANY WAYS to hurt these creatures (RV's) and MOST people find that they nearly kill their first TWO RV's just learning how NOT to kill it! LOL! We have been RVing for over 20 years and STILL learn all the time!!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:29 AM   #98

OK, to clear the air, this isn't our first RV and everyone we've had has had those "Dog Ears" on the outside flap. The problem with RW is that there is also a flap on the back of the Convection Microwave that open when the oven is in use and the opening in the RW wall does not line up with the Oven opening, thus that internal flap can't open to properly exhaust the hot air out side. The fix is to remove the outside flap and cover, and shave a little material off the one side of the wall opening so the microwave flap can open. As I said, this has been a problem since day one it believe, I know we had the same problem with our 2012 model.
We have fixed everything on that list ourselves, except for the Slide Issue and I've done more trouble shooting on that than the Dealer we took it into, who has ordered the Pressure Switch, only problem the Pressure Switch is only used with the Level-Up to turn off the pump when all jacks are retracted upon an "Auto Retract" command. Right now I probably understand the hydraulic system and how it operates than a Majority of these so called RV Techs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Rick
I had the same problem with the door seperating at the hinge side. Redwood sent a new door, They had to paint it and now the new door is doing the same thing. sounds like they are sending another door.
What exactly is happening to the door? Is the door falling apart or is it a hinge problem? Just curios in case I can do a fix before it happens.

I did install two new locks this past weekend and made many fine adjustments including making the deadbolt hole deeper. I also realized that mainly the front door was hitting the rain gutter in many places and touch up was already done by either the dealer or Redwood. Got out the body tools and reshaped the top edges of the door so it actually fits now.
Rims are off tonight and the G's will be on tomorrow. Not going to chance a blowout with the E's.... Anybody want a good deal on 4 new E's
Old 06-03-2015, 03:51 AM   #100

Steve
You can fill them with concrete. Throw them in the lake and anchor the boat