Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Exclamation Water Leak - Underbelly Full

We woke up this morning to an underbelly full of water. We noticed it because a steady stream was escaping on the front right side. We were parked in Denver from Thursday afternoon to this morning (Sunday). When we hooked up we noticed the water pressure wasn't great but the park wasn't great either and one review had even said low water pressure. We have a PSI regulator that didn't seem to need to regulate. This morning the water pressure seemed even lower.

't don't know if it was a leak from the city water in, or if it was a grey water leak. This morning the black tank was full and the grey tanks were 1/3 and 2/3 full. We've emptied them all (still some water in the fresh water tank). The water from the leak did not smell like black water.

I saw one comment on a thread from someone who said their underbelly filled up with water but there was no follow-up explanation. Anyone have this problem? We are on the road today even though we couldn't drain it all (we got a significant amount out but not all without taking everything apart.

Anyone out there on this Memorial Weekend with some advice?

Thanks!
Marcia & Jordan
2013 36RE
WDSFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Traveling

GOSH I am sorry to see this! I hope it ends up being something easy. We had this happen to us years ago in our big Everest. It appeared to be a nightmare, but only actually turned out to be a fitting that had worked its way loose under the kitchen. I am hoping we can find a strategic place for a water sensor in a low point in the underbelly. Good luck!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

I had the same issue under a different circumstance (dry camping). Turned out to be a cracked 90 degree plastic fitting where the fresh water drain exits the tank. This happened twice - draining all 105 gals into the belly pan.

You can test this by disconnecting city water & filling the fresh water watching for a lot of water dripping out in a steady stream from some low point.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

Terrible situation! I never checked the water connections on my TTs when I traveled on business, and I moved at least once a week for months on end. But I think it might not be overkill to go through the RW water system every other month, and after moving, to make sure that all is snug and secure.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSFreedom View Post
We woke up this morning to an underbelly full of water. We noticed it because a steady stream was escaping on the front right side. We were parked in Denver from Thursday afternoon to this morning (Sunday). When we hooked up we noticed the water pressure wasn't great but the park wasn't great either and one review had even said low water pressure. We have a PSI regulator that didn't seem to need to regulate. This morning the water pressure seemed even lower.

't don't know if it was a leak from the city water in, or if it was a grey water leak. This morning the black tank was full and the grey tanks were 1/3 and 2/3 full. We've emptied them all (still some water in the fresh water tank). The water from the leak did not smell like black water.

I saw one comment on a thread from someone who said their underbelly filled up with water but there was no follow-up explanation. Anyone have this problem? We are on the road today even though we couldn't drain it all (we got a significant amount out but not all without taking everything apart.

Anyone out there on this Memorial Weekend with some advice?

Thanks!
Marcia & Jordan
2013 36RE
Sure sounds like a FW leak. Our drain line broke at the 90. I think the grey water would smell as well as the Black, so if no odor, I would say FW. Also, can you look behind the service center and see if you have water all in there where the city water comes in ??

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

I went in behind the service center to replace my water pump, and when I checked all of the fittings, several were quite loose. No leak though.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

Almost anything that leaks will migrate to the belly. Probably just a minor leak but a big pain!

I would start by looking behind the panel in the basement, the island (obvious ones) and then start pulling down the belly pan till you find it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Disconnect from the city water. If the water pump cycles off and on, then you'll know it's after the water pump. With the service wall down you'll see it if it's above the service floor area. If it's not above the service floor than it has to be at the fitting that "5th time" (Mike) was talking about.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:13 AM   #9

Thanks so much for the feedback! Great clues. FW was empty so it wasn't that. The area behind the service wall was dry. Water pump not cycling on and off. So... altered predictions anyone?

Marcia & Jordan
2013 36RE
Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #10
Site Team

Look under you kitchen sink for a leak or the ice maker line. Which floor plan do you have?
Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #11
Site Team

You need to put some fresh water in your tank and disconnect from the city line. If your pump doesn't cycle, then this tells you it's a drain somewhere. Since your service floor is dry it would have to be further back meaning the kitchen area.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
You need to put some fresh water in your tank and disconnect from the city line. If your pump doesn't cycle, then this tells you it's a drain somewhere. Since your service floor is dry it would have to be further back meaning the kitchen area.
We have had a similar problem like this. The belly pan would fill up with water and actually drip from one side. Diagnosed it to be the kitchen sink ABS pipes leading to the grey tank. Came to this conclusion after the gate valve to the grey tank was closed and as the tank reached full, it would run up the ABS pipe and begin leaking. Haven't had this fixed yet; however, came up with a work around by leaving the gate valve open while connect to a sewer. No drips since.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #13

We discovered new leaks on our second trip this year....
so we are somewhat experienced with tracing them down

as stated, if no odor, probably a supply line,
if a drain, the black WILL have an odor (DOOH ),
the grey will probably have an odor too, so good luck

First did you have freezing temps since you last used it ?

depending on the model you have...
our first one was the ice maker water line from under the sink out under the slide and up behind the drawers between the stove and fridge... it filled up the slide belly pan and was gushing out the bottom.

our second was (and still is) under the shower pan and runs into the bedroom (at least what we can see!)

our third is the drains under the kitchen sink... since they are tied together and the same level, couldn't use the sink the whole trip... :-(
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #14

We are getting to our destination of a couple of weeks today and then we will run all the suggested tests, etc. and figure this out. We have a 36RE. Thanks! We'll let ya know how it all "pans" out.

Marcia & Jordan
2013 36RE
Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #15

I discovered a leak the first week we had the trailer. I suspected the black tank leaked when full. Not wanting to take the time while on the road, I waited until we got home. We went on a short trip and made sure to fill the tanks. I verified that the black tank seemed to be the problem.

I took it into the dealer. Crossroads authorized 10 hours just to remove the tank. Apparently it's a complicated procedure as the dealer said it took all of the 10 hours. Turns out it was a "spin weld on the top of the tank that didn't take" thus the leak. Crossroads told the dealer that they wanted to ship a new tank rather than attempt a repair. Tank should be in tomorrow. Leaks are no fun.

Getting anxious to get the rig back as it's been in the shop for 2 months.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #16

Glad they are taking care of it Ken! One job I would not want to mess with.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #17

Found our leak behind wall by toliet on FL pressure clamp fitting was on by 1/2 inch, constant drip after last move. Leak was @ a tee connector. Does not seem to have damaged floor.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #18

I'm ordering a three-pack of water sensors before I pick up our unit. I want them in place before I even turn the water on, lol. And I think I'll turn the water off outside when we leave for the day, just in case. I've had six TTs and never a leak, and I'd REALLY like to continue this record with Lucky # 7. :-)
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #19

Alan & Angele,

I really have to wonder hob an issue the infamous overflowing toilet is...not to discount the issue or the seriousness of this happening...just how big a problem is it? How many, what percentage, of Redwood owners are having problems with the toilet?
I seldom shut off the water to our coach unless we are going out of town for 2-3 days.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Traveling

I just ordered leak sensors. Would love feedback on placement!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, underbelly, water, water leak