Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 04:53 AM   #1

Washer and dryer- yes or no?

Hi everyone!
We just bought a new 2020 Redwood, and the washer and dryer go in the main closet.
I was considering to put a stackable set in there. I have never had a set in my fifth wheels, didn’t want to give up the space. But, I thought I might try.
But, I heard that a washer and dryer causes a lot of lint to escape, and I don’t really want that in my closet. Does anyone have any experience or advice for me?
Thank you so much!
Karen Adam
Mike & Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:01 AM   #2

Our dryer vents to the outside just as a home dryer does. You should check if yours does or does not.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

venting the drier is a MUST , plus it takes longer for a non-vented drier to complete a cycle. The extra humidity can also cause mold in the walls and roof area if it is used often especially in colder climates.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #4

We had the Combo Washer/Dryer in our Montana and RW 36RL, in our current 39MB we put in the stackable units. All have been vented and never any lint inside all sent outside thru the vent.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #5

Made may comments in the other post by the same title.
You have 2 posts going on the same subject.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Site Team

I apologize. I tried to move some posts from the duplicate thread to this one and lost them. If yours was one of the posts that I lost please repost.
Bruce
Old 05-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #7

Our 1st full-time 5th wheel had a combo w/d & our RW had the stackables neither of which did we notice the lint issue you've been told about.
As for needing a w/d, we fulltimed for 10+ years with the task of driving all over different towns to find a laundromat that we felt safe in, wouldn't have to burn an article of clothing that fell on the floor not mention spending 2-4 hours weekly sitting in wasn't on our bucket list during retirement, so a w/d was a must have.
The combo did a good job but took 2+ hours per load with most everything needing ironed once removed. The stackables are what I would recommend if your space allows. Both types in both rvs were in designated w/d closets not the clothes closet.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-18-2020, 03:51 AM   #8

Karen , I guess you have to figure how much your time is worth....How safe (and clean ) you feel in public laundry....Just how important that lost storage space is. It will be totally personal. We have a side by side (but RV size) in our 38RL and use it most of the time..The laundry can be done while we are sitting around the campfire....or having a wobbly pop at happy hour...without worry. Sometimes we hang the stuff to dry...we have a nifty cloths hanger system that hangs off the back ladder (extend-a-line)...but not all places will let you put stuff out...and we don't over do it....For example....we will wash things....and if the campground has commercial dryers close by...we may use them instead of the on board dryer. Much faster....there is no noticeable mess / lint in the RW(make sure its vented outside.). Another consideration is the appliances are heavy, depending on where they are located they can cause more load on the truck (pin weight), plus some models have the appliances in a slide (like ours)..some of the models have the Schwintek slide system on that slide...and its my thoughts its not robust enough to handle the extra weight of the appliance(s)....see other posts on that issue.
Now step in the latest pandemic....most laundry facilities (public) were closed so spending time at the closes stream beating your cloths on a rock don't sound like a good time ...LOL
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:00 AM   #9

Our washer and dryer are the Splendide separates in a side by side configuration in the bedroom slide. Our coach and laundry pair is going on 6 years now and we've spent 5+months a year in ours plus some summer trips and we've had no slide issues whatsoever. One thing I'm glad we did is install the laundry pair and the dishwasher. Never been sorry, as my wife has never had to spend a minute in a laundromat.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #10

I agree Jim!
The Splendids pair does a great job!
I'd recommend the Paschal/Fiskel dishwasher as well. If we would've had a choice in our current park model we would've had 2 of them installed on top of one another, they're quiet & do a good job.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #11

My wife loves her splendid stackables. She just does a load every day or so to keep up as they are rather small. Not having to spend our time in the laundromat makes it worth losing the additional storage to us.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #12

We have a Stackable set also, a Maytag Washer and a Sears Kenmore Dryer (Both made by Whirlpool) in our Redwood for 6 years now and our previous 5th Wheel for 2 years.
These units have been used fulltime for 8 years now with no issues at all.
The tubs / drums are a little larger than some of the "RV" Washers and Dryers
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #13

Absolutely a must.
Jay & Deb Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #14

Thank you all!

Thank you everyone for all of your great advice!! I took it all into consideration, you guys are awesome!!! We did buy a splendide stackable washer & dryer, and vented it outside. I am really excited about it! I did my first load last night. Can’t believe we went all these years in public laundromats!
Thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply. Very grateful!
Sincerely, Karen
Mike & Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:44 AM   #15

I have had both now and very happy, the first one I put in was a Maytag apartment size stackable. Had enough room in the breaker box to wire in both sides of 220v, worked great. This was on my old Montana 3400RL. Now with my 38GK I researched going with an all in one combo. After much research I decided to go with an LG apartment size which is a couple of inches deeper than the Splenda brand. This required the door jam to be moved out 3 inches which I did in one afternoon finding the exact stain color to match the trim. Also the cheap junk brackets for the folding door I found heavy duty replacements at Lowes expensive but twice the quality. I have used the LG over the coarse of three months and never had an issue with it having great capacity. The best part is I have now enough room above it to still have closet space for my towels washcloths and extra bedding and a place for the soap and conditioner.

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #16

Hey Mike,
We have 2016 with stackables and love them. We have never had a problem with lint. I would not recommend the combo as they a long time to dry the clothes. Now that we have them we would never go without.

Lew Bacchieri
Lew Bacchieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:09 AM   #17
XYZ

lol.. it is Fisher/Paykel... now known as Fisher And Paykel.. yet i can agree with you more.. installed out first single drawer in our 2005 Grand Teton, then again in our 2008 Carriage, the coaches where all factory installed...QUIET.. energy efficient... sadly we only have the single drawer unit in our 36fl...
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #18

We have stackable units in our 2002 Carriage fifth wheel that we use at the lake. In our 39MB that we FT in, we chose to install a splendide combo to save some room. Installed our self, vented out side, if we were doing it over from a FT perspective, it would be stackable units....
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #19

Never Have a Washer / Dryer in Schwintek slide

All those miles over the years caused the slide to sag due to the W/D weight. When slide retracts bedroom door jam drags on the floor causing slide to attempt to pull itself out of the coach.

2007.5 Chev Dually, B&W Companion, RDS 50 Gal. Transfer Tank
2012 36RL, Titan Disc Brakes, Upgraded Springs, MORryde wet bolts, MORryde Crossmember, Sailun Tires
jrlsburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #20
Site Team

I’m guessing your slide is misadjusted. Our 2013 RL has almost 50k miles on it and haas had a washer dryer since new with no slide issues