Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2023, 08:28 PM   #1

Smile Solar

Has anyone gone off the grid and put solar panels on the roof and the whold system in their RV. we are considering doing that , our electric bill here in Phoenix AZ , is $450 a month.

your thoughts please.
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknnell View Post
Has anyone gone off the grid and put solar panels on the roof and the whold system in their RV. we are considering doing that , our electric bill here in Phoenix AZ , is $450 a month.

your thoughts please.
I have almost 2000 watts on my roof with a victron 3000 watt inverter , I can run both of my AC units on 18 amp off the grid. The victron inverters can be set to current limit what your useing from the grid , So I can reduce my electric bill but there is ZERO chance you can run one AC with roof solar for any reasonable amount of time. Having said that assuming you have room for a ground mounted panels you could manage 80% off grid during sunny days. Your next questions is what did that cost you , My labor was free and the parts with 5 battleborn batterys will run you $8000~$10,000 + !
Old 11-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #3

solar

oh wow! i didn't realize it cost that much. we are using Dakota 200 ah batteries at $850 each . our solar panels are 308watt and we are getting 6. we just need the inverter. Thanks for all your information, it was very helpful,
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:49 PM   #4

I should qualify my responce, the entire system will cost 7~10K in parts depening on the brands you choose . As most of you know the batterys are the most expensive part of the project. Victron Energy is in my opinion the top of the pile of brands for inverters. Each 3000 watt inverter will cost you about $1300.00 , Assuming you want to run (2) AC units you would need two and a large battery bank ! Each solar battery charger will run about $750 for each 100 amp charger ( you will want two). The install depending on the level of custom work you want will range from $2000~8000.