Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

Slide water leak.....or not ?

We moved into our 38RL that we've owned for 9 months to start full timing again this week. It had been in the shop to have one of the front jacks replaced due to leaking hydraulic fluid. When we went to pick it up, It had been raining and when we opened it up to check on some work they did in the closet water was on the floor from the dining room slide and the carpet was also wet in front of the couch. They called a tech out to look at it and he could find nothing obvious. The offered to keep it but we would have been basically homeless at that point and no telling how long they would have kept it once again. ( we've owned it for 9 months but it's been at their shop for 7 of those getting various things repaired..generally minor but still annoying for a new high $$ unit. )

Standing on the stairs inside and looking at the weather striping across the top of the slide I noticed it sagged some in the middle. Tech said that shouldn't be the problem... Well Ok then.... After some chatting the only thing we could come up with was possibly the slide wasn't completely shut when it was closed last. Seemed possible since we'd never had a problem with it leaking before....at least before taking it in to have the Jack fixed. We were kind of in a bind so we took it. When we got to the RV park to move all our stuff I the floor was only slightly damp...I figured residual moisture. About an hour later it started raining pretty hard. We then noticed a puddle of water in the ledge above the dining table. Water was dripping from the right corner of the frame. Heavy rain stopped and the leak stopped even though it continued to rain for most of the day. Rained hard overnight and again water on ledge. Called dealer the next morning to talk to them about it. Asked me to check around window for anything obvious, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Called him back and he said they'd emailed Redwood for some guidance and to see if there's been similar issues reported to them. That was Tuesday morning, it's now Saturday and I've heard nothing from them.

Anyway...we close everything up for a 200 mile ride east to spend time with family before heading out. About halfway there I drive through some of the hardest rain I've been through in years. I was thinking that if the window was leaking I'll know for sure since I was positive the slide was in tight. Got through the rain and stopped for fuel, opened the door expecting the worst and it was dry as a bone. Both the floor and the ledge below the window. Got to our families home and parked, looked again and still dry. It's rained off and on since we've been here.....still dry.

So to summarize. Slide supposedly closed, floor wet. Slide open, wet on ledge by dining table and no additional water on floor. But after that slide closed and have been through driving rain and nothing wet....... Only thing thst seems out of the ordinary is the slight sagging weather strip in the middle of the slide.

Sorry for being so long with this, but any ideas ???

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

Check the antenna boot around the coax on the roof. If it leaks it will usually drop water near the crank handle. The other thing that could have occurred is the slide was brought in wet. Sometimes the wiper seal on top does not sweep off the water.