Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 03:09 AM   #1

Residential appliances

So, if I have residential fridge and disconnect from shore power the converter is suppose to run fridge off of the batteries, with no way to unplug the fridge when I park it for storage how do you keep it from draining the batteries?
Awes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:46 AM   #2

With a residential fridge it's powered through an inverter. An inverter uses 12 volts from your batteries to power 120 volt items such as your fridge. You also have a converter which uses 120 volt shore power or generator to power 12 volt items & charge the batteries.
As to turning off the fridge I'm not sure as I didn't have one, but by disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery that goes directly to ground will kill ALL 12 volt power. If equipped with a factory battery disconnect just know it DOES NOT totally disconnect all parasitic drains from the battery resulting in a totally discharged battery in as little as a few days depending on battery conditions.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

When I am NOT using my Redwood with the residential fridge and Inverter, I UNPLUG the fridge from the outlet that is powered by the inverter. You can ALSO turn off the converter.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #4

Our Whirlpool can be turned off, plus the plug is just inside the cabinet next to the fridge and my Magnum Inverter can be turned off.
Only time it's ever been turned off in over six years is when we left it at the Service Center to repair a delamination above the curb side basement door.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #5

The refrig that us In out 2015 you can push two of the buttons on the temp control panel and it turns off the the unit. The Inverter I turn off the 12 volt DC power at the battery disconnect switch at the end of the year. I leave the frig running all summer keeping the beer cold. Read the refrigerator owners manual , I think you will find its easy to turn off but keep the battery charger powered up.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #6

We use the battery disconnect knobs, but also installed solar panels that keep the batties charged. Had it in storage for over 6 months with zero issues or drain ...
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #7

Our 39MB has a Magnum inverter. With a remote located to the right of the entry door. You can touch the on off switch and turn off the inverter. This will cut power to your refrigerator and turn Off the refrigerator.
RickF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:31 AM   #8

There is a power switch on the inverter itself and also a remote switch in my wet bay. The only time I switch the inverter “on” is when I’m Not on shore power, either traveling or in service.
RobMt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:23 AM   #9

Solar Battery Charger

Do any of you have a solar battery charger just to keep them charged while disconnected? No power where I store this rig.

If so, how big do you need to trickle charge 2 Interstate batteries? I think this 5er is pre-wired with Zamp connections on the top and side.
CowboyBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #10

The “InCommand system has a "trigger" setting that watches for power to bet cut off. This is what cuts off the inverter.

You could leave everything hooked up and simply turn off the trigger switch.