Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #1

Repairing Splendide Washer

I have a 2015 38RL that has the Splendide Washer Dryer combo set that was installed when we first bought our unit. These units sit in the hallway closet side by side.

Recently I discovered an issue with the door interlock switch malfunctioning on the washer. I am considering replacing the switch and the rubber drum gasket at the same time.

Has anyone attempted this repair and do you have any suggestions. It appears to me that I will need to take off the paneled doors on the closet in order to make room to get the washer out. I'm planning on taking it completely out and bringing it home to work on it in my garage.

Any concerns/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Steve
Frisco, TX
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:43 AM   #2

on my 13 I could get it out without taking the doors off. they are heavy as they have concrete in side of them for balance. 2 screws on the back and the top cover slides forward and off. I called tech support and they are pretty good with helping. if it is the door switch there easy to install
RogerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #3

I have not attempted the repair. But you can get the washer out by sliding it to the left ( with dryer removed) without removing the doors.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

After replacing the interlocking switch and the rubber gasket on the drum, I still could not get any water to come into the machine. After not being able to find an RV tech that was willing to work on this appliance, I took it out, took it to my house and had a regular washing machine technician look at it. He immediatley recognized it to be an issue with the "electrical controller" component that is at the back of the machine on the lower right side (as you're facing the machine).

Unfortunately, you cannot find parts for this machine in the US. I have reached out to Westland Sales to give me a price, even if it has to come from the UK. Regardless, I've been told this could run in excess of $400.

Has anyone found another brand of washer that will fit in this unit (38RL) that you can actually get parts for in the US?

Not sure I'm willing to put another $400 plus into this 5 year old machine.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:29 AM   #5
Site Team

I made the decision over 8 years ago when I looked at the Splendides and had $$$ sticker shock, to go a different route.

My 36RL is set up the same as the 38RL to my knowledge and takes side by side units.

We went with a Danby washer (top loader) and a Haier dryer. I built a stand for the dryer to sit on and we keep the cat litter box under there. The units are quiet, lightweight, low cost and efficient. I just ordered new belts and some other maintenance things for the dryer and parts are readily available and reasonable. We’re fulltime and they get used almost daily.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I made the decision over 8 years ago when I looked at the Splendides and had $$$ sticker shock, to go a different route.

My 36RL is set up the same as the 38RL to my knowledge and takes side by side units.

We went with a Danby washer (top loader) and a Haier dryer. I built a stand for the dryer to sit on and we keep the cat litter box under there. The units are quiet, lightweight, low cost and efficient. I just ordered new belts and some other maintenance things for the dryer and parts are readily available and reasonable. We’re fulltime and they get used almost daily.
Thanks for the information PiperGuy. Do you happen to know the model number of the Danby washer you purchased?

Westland Sales finally got back to me and the part I'm needing is called the Module Board and it is $325 with $22 shipping. Since I already paid $70 to have it diagnosed, I think I'm done putting money into this unit. I think I'm going to look into the Danby.

Thanks again.......Steve
Old 08-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Steve - the one we have is a DWM17WDB which has a center agitator. It looks like they’ve discontinued this model and now all models are not mechanical agitation ☹️

Based on our experience with the washer and the company, I still wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. We’ve been very happy with it. Oh - and it only weighs 75 lbs. only thing I needed to do was take the back off and route the hoses from the one side to the other (knockout is already on the back).

I’ll try and post the pictures. No idea why my iPad insists on turning pictures sideways. Lol. My apologies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B83DABAB-8A55-4D2F-A240-71446081C557.jpg (102.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 98B5514D-56CC-4A3E-A95E-41CDDE24ADCE.jpg (143.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #8

We had the Splendide combo in our 2013 36RL, it failed 3 times so I used the "3 strikes and you are out" rule. I replaced it with a separate Splendide washer and dryer.

Note that if your combo unit is vented you will have to put the vent in a different location, fortunately I saved the original vent "plug", the dealer put it back in and covered it with a "scare light" so that the plug wasn't obvious.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Steve - the one we have is a DWM17WDB which has a center agitator. It looks like they’ve discontinued this model and now all models are not mechanical agitation ☹️

Based on our experience with the washer and the company, I still wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. We’ve been very happy with it. Oh - and it only weighs 75 lbs. only thing I needed to do was take the back off and route the hoses from the one side to the other (knockout is already on the back).

I’ll try and post the pictures. No idea why my iPad insists on turning pictures sideways. Lol. My apologies.
I was able to find your model DWM17WDB online at Appliances Unlimited in IL for around $450. I can't tell if it is exactly like your model or not.

I did reach out to my warranty company and my washer is still covered, but I would have to put it back in the RV in order for my tech to call in his diagnosis and repair costs. I tried to explain to them that I still would not have power or water, as my unit is stored in a covered site that has neither, but that didn't make any difference to them.

Unfortunately, my deductible to run it through them is going to cost me $100, so I'm basically getting the module board for $225.

I'm still undecided whether or not to continue repairing the Splendide or just dump it and buy something less expensive like the Danby.

I recognize I'm just rambling here, but I wanted to put this out there for others to be careful about taking anything out of your RV if you are planning on running it through your warranty department. Lesson learned here.....