Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 02:59 AM   #1

Popping noise

I have popping noises coming from my jacks. I have seen some campers using blocks so their jacks are not completely extended. I was wondering if using blocks to keep from completely extending my jacks would help in stopping this popping noises. Or do something else that would stop the noises. Can be annoying at night while trying to sleep.
Thanks
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:53 AM   #2

Remove 1 quart of fluid from the reservoir, a turkey baster works well for this & replace with 15w motorcycle fork oil, then operate the slides & jacks several times to mix well.
Be sure all jacks are retracted & all hydraulic slides are pulled in before topping off the reservoir to within 1/4-1/2" of the opening.
This procedure was posted & recommended by Lippert, the makers of the level up system.
Adding blocks under the jacks may or may not help the popping/creaking but the less they extend the more stable the rig feels.
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Here are the things that worked for me to reduce or eliminate the popping noises from the hydraulic jacks. Remove 1 quart of hydraulic fluid from the reservoir and add 1 quart of caterpillar anti-stiction fluid. It cost about $35 at any caterpillar equipment dealer. Recently I changed the hydraulic fluid and used full synthetic automobile transmission fluid. Made a big improvement and I no longer needed the anti-stiction fluid. I would also comment that using blocks under the jacks does help reduce popping because the jacks are not fully extended.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
I have popping noises coming from my jacks. I have seen some campers using blocks so their jacks are not completely extended. I was wondering if using blocks to keep from completely extending my jacks would help in stopping this popping noises. Or do something else that would stop the noises. Can be annoying at night while trying to sleep.
Thanks
Here is the bulletin from Lippert. Also, using blocks helps with the stability. The shorter they extend the more stable your RV will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8968223-D2E7-443F-9B78-DD08B2327A95.jpg (211.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #5

Just replaced 2 passenger side legs stopped the popping.
Also recheck the auto leveling.
201firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201firefox View Post
Just replaced 2 passenger side legs stopped the popping.
Also recheck the auto leveling.
Hopefully the jack replacement wasn't solely due to the popping & if so hopefully it was under warranty, as the oil change procedure takes about a 1/2 hour & $25+/- for a quart of 1 of the oils shown above & works well.
Mine was with the 15w Maxima fork oil & ended the popping/creaking. I also used a the Lynx Levelers under each every stop with more added to the low side.
FYI! The jacks are usually able to be rebuilt at a hydraulic shop or heavy equipment repair shop for a fraction of replacement cost.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:21 AM   #7

Thanks to all of you for the information. I am planning to do the fluid replacement this weekend.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:03 AM   #8

$ 1500 both legs were leaking.
An yes covered by extended warranty.
It's paid for a new MACK 15 AC also.
Warranty has paid off.
Thanks
201firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #9

Will normally get the popping as the outside temp cools in the evening ... even after the oil change as others have posted. You may also notice it more on soft or uneven ground but will eventually settle and stop. May have to relevel every once in a while after settling.
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote