Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I'm thinking the fantastic vent in the kitchen is located at the highest point of the RV so does placing the cover over it result in an increase in the overall height of 13'2"? Just wondering.
We have the Fantastic Ultra Breeze Vent Covers on all three vents, the Bath vent is the highest point on our coach it's 13' 4" when the coach is hooked to the truck. The front A/C is 13' 2" when hitched.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #42
Traveling

Wow! Those are cool looking! Do they allow the vent to open all the way? They LOOK like they do!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
We have the Fantastic Ultra Breeze Vent Covers on all three vents, the Bath vent is the highest point on our coach it's 13' 4" when the coach is hooked to the truck. The front A/C is 13' 2" when hitched.

Nice! Do those open from the side?

13' 4"!! Careful on I-25 in Denver

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #44

The only opening is in the front, mine are mounted so the vented side is facing the rear of the coach, I can leave the vents open while underway.

Brad, last year I was heading to a campground in Cherokee NC, came around a curve and was greeted by a warning sign for an overpass on the Blue Ridge parkway...13' 6" clearance!!!! Boy did that get my attention, I slowed to a crawl and hesitated, a biker was coming the opposite direction and saw my dilemma, he gave me a thumbs-up so I proceeded, VERY slowly. Thats the biggest scare I've had!! But I'll be very careful on I-25.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #45

I'm going to install my Maxxair vent covers but need to know what to do about the factory calking as there is so much if I leave it in place the cover will sit on top of the calking. Do I need to remove the factory calking and then install it?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #46

You do not need to remove it. You can press the brackets down pretty far to get a good seal. I have done 10 of them this year for folks and no issues doing this so far. Good thing is the holes are there for the brackets.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #47

I just installed 2 of the Maxxair II covers and no caulk removal was needed on mine. The brakets are easy enough to bend a little if needed. The covers I used have "hinged" brackets so they can be lifted up for inspection/cleaning of the vent or fan.
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #48

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #49

We installed the maxair black covers on both our roof fan vents, took my wife and I about 25 minutes. Easy installation. Allows for ventilation during inclement weather, in storage and while traveling.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #50

We have them on all three vents and love them. As COLJDM said they really are great for when you are not in the coach and it should rain. The sensors work but sometimes not quick enough.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #51

We installed the same as John, after our first trip to the Oregon Coast (wet coast) After raining it took time for the sensor to dry before you could start the fans, so now we can run them anytime, or even just open the covers without the fan running.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #52

Well I installed the fan mates vent cover over the kitchen and bathroom vents. Both lids hit the vent cover but stop at that point. After a few months the bathroom fan cover would go up then drop down an inch then go up and drop and so on....... My dealer replaced the fan. I e-mailed the company maxxaire and inquired as to the suitability of the vent cover their response was that the fan mate covers were made for my vents and they were designed to stop when they hit something. With this info. I replaced the covers back on the vents and things worked fine until now when the same thing happened to my kitchen vent ....it is like the last inch or so of the gear is stripped. I have an appointment to get some other issues looked at so will get it replaced then. I again e-mailed maxxaire asking if they have a known issue with the vents and covers but this time I have not received a reply. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the fan mate covers and vents or I am I just the "lucky" one?
Doug
Old 10-08-2014, 03:51 AM   #53

The gear assembly used is a weak link. An easy repair with a new gear box, already had to replace the one on our kitchen fan and now the one on the bathroom fan has broken. Not really sure if there was a bad batch, or a flaw in the design of the gear box.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #54
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
The gear assembly used is a weak link. An easy repair with a new gear box, already had to replace the one on our kitchen fan and now the one on the bathroom fan has broken. Not really sure if there was a bad batch, or a flaw in the design of the gear box.
Yep, replaced mine already as well. It's a 5 min fix from the roof once you get the part. Maxxair shipped it to me for no charge when I called them, guess it's a known problem.

Now it seems like the drive shaft the knob is attached to might be stripped...
Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #55

This is the cover we put on ours.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/fan_mate.php

doug.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #56
Site Team

Same covers I have on ours. So far no problems after two years but maybe I just jinxed myself ......
Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #57

We experienced the same issue with the bathroom Maxxair. The cover stops the lid from opening and the stress on the gears seems to be too much and eventually strips the final few. I also contacted customer support and they sent me a new gear box. It was a very simple process to change out the gear box. Maxxair support was very helpful. Don't know how to limit the lid so it doesn't push against the cover. The new gear box was installed a few months ago and so far it's working fine. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #58

This thread is a year and a half old now, but the info did help me to choose fan covers for our rolling home so I though I would add to it. I also called Maxxair to get their recommendation. I purchased 3 Maxxair FanMate fan covers in smoke. Camping World did not have this color, but our mobile RV guy ordered the smoke color for us. There are 3 cover models offered by Maxxair, the Original, the II and the FanMate. There are 3 colors offered by Maxxair for the FanMate, white, black and smoke. The smoke lets in the most light of the 3 colors and I can actually see the sky and clouds through it when the vent is open. The light was a very important feature to me. Plus the smoke color looks black enough from the outside to match our A/Cs. The FanMat fits the two wall panel controlled fans as well as the fan over the toilet however the installation was different. The installation over the toilet fan required some holes to be drilled into the vertical fan frame on the outside and the other two were quickly installed with some pins provided. These covers are also designed to lift open from the side for easy cleaning. I do not believe the fan lids hit the inside of the fan covers when they are opened. I should hope not, since these were designed by the fan manufacturer. MH

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #59

Here is an interesting YouTube Video;

DKRitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn H View Post
This thread is a year and a half old now, but the info did help me to choose fan covers for our rolling home so I though I would add to it. I also called Maxxair to get their recommendation. I purchased 3 Maxxair FanMate fan covers in smoke. Camping World did not have this color, but our mobile RV guy ordered the smoke color for us. There are 3 cover models offered by Maxxair, the Original, the II and the FanMate. There are 3 colors offered by Maxxair for the FanMate, white, black and smoke. The smoke lets in the most light of the 3 colors and I can actually see the sky and clouds through it when the vent is open. The light was a very important feature to me. Plus the smoke color looks black enough from the outside to match our A/Cs. The FanMat fits the two wall panel controlled fans as well as the fan over the toilet however the installation was different. The installation over the toilet fan required some holes to be drilled into the vertical fan frame on the outside and the other two were quickly installed with some pins provided. These covers are also designed to lift open from the side for easy cleaning. I do not believe the fan lids hit the inside of the fan covers when they are opened. I should hope not, since these were designed by the fan manufacturer. MH
That is awesome! I've been trying to find a suitable replacement for ours that would let in some light. I used to have the dual pane smoke color on my Fantastic Fans and loved them.

Thanks for the tip!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote