Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Magnum Inverter/Charger

We have a 2017 31SL with residential refrigerator, and therefore have a Magnum inverter/charger. My question is this: how are the Magnum and the Progressive Power Converter charging connections to the batteries wired? Are they wired in parallel and both trying to control the battery charging cycle when on shore power? Does anyone have a schematic?
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

They are both hardwired to the batteries. I've often wondered about any interaction, but in two years we haven't encountered any problems and we're connected to shore power except when on the road.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

I understand that they know where the power is coming from and do their internal stuff automatically. They tell me I can theoretically be connected to shore power and run the gen set at the same time and have the inverter turned on and it all is supposed to prioritize itself. I don't think I will test the theory
Old 04-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #4

If you are connected to shore power and start the onboard genny, once it's up to speed the Transfer Switch will switch from shore to genny, once you shut the genny off it will automaticly switch back to shore.
As far as the inverter it will stay in standby and just pass the 120 VAC on to the Fridge, it doesn't care if it's from shore to genny. Once you take away the 120 VAC source it will switch to Inverter mode and generate 120 VAC to power the fridge from the 12 VDC battery bank.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 04-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #5

Does anyone know the model numbers for the magnum inverter and progressive converter?

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #6

Inverter: Magnum MMS1012, 1000 Watt Inverter/50 Amp Charger
Converter: Progressive Dynamics PD4590, Combo Power Distribution Panel/90 Amp Charger
Old 05-14-2017, 02:43 AM   #7

I'm just confused why Redwood would use a converter charger since the Progressive Dynamics converter has a very decent charger. But maybe I'm missing something.
texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

Progressive Dynamics PD4590

Does anyone know if I can simply add a couple of more batteries in parallel and have them charge up?

I looked at the specs on the Progressive Dynamics PD4590 and can't figure out if it can handle adding a couple more batteries.

Thanks

John
Johnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #9

I'm running four 12V batteries and the only thing I did was change the Magnum inverter setting for 400 Amp Hr worth of batteries. Didn't make any changes to the PD4500.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #10

M & A

Since you have an onboard generator, you must have been able to put the batteries by the hydraulic storage tank? I currently have two group 31 Diehard AGM's that have been installed since the coach was new which as been almost 5 years ago. I'm afraid its about time to replace so am trying to decide which way to go.
1. replace them with the same
2. install four 6 volt Trojan golf cart batteries
3. or do as you say you've done with 4 12 volt. A lot to consider as well as what container to use to contain them. How did you squeeze them in?

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:06 AM   #11

I think what I have are four Group 27s. I took the OEMs out of those boxes with the lids that were impossible to remove and made my own holder for them and used the cover off a large plastic container as a cover installing the vent tubes to it.
Mine are three years old now, but when it comes time to replace them I'll use AGMs because checking the water in the rear batteries is a real PITA.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #12

Jim and Mary,

To me it's all about amp hours. It's like a larger fuel tank. 4 - 6v will give you more amp hours that 4 12v. I am just replacing my 4 6v after 7 years. They still get me through the night when boon docking but I think its time.

You asked about storage. I have a gen prep too. The battery box is for the 6v batteries.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5902.jpg (193.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5903.jpg (194.0 KB, 16 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

Ken

I wonder if you might share where you found the box you use for the batteries?

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #14

I have basically the same box that I have 4 6 volt batteries in. I have posted the link from All Battery sales and service that I purchased it from

https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...batteries-gc-g
Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #15

Here is where I got mine. A bit pricey but it might save in cables:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/dyno...-box-4-version

Here’s a shot of the 4 new Trojans

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4678A6D6-5209-425B-8C9F-C78EEA35E592.jpg (261.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #16

This is an interesting thread. I have a question about the wiring from the inverter to the refrigerator. I'm assuming the inverter power is also routed through the 15 amp circuit breaker housed in the Power Dynamics unit. In my coach in addition to the refrigerator this circuit also provides power to the other non GFCI outlets in the drivers side slide out. Because of this I assume the inverter will also power these outlets? Has anyone verified this?

I am full timing and have manually switched off the inverter since I'm on constant shore power. I also have a genset and my coach is equipped with the Jensen InCommand system which has automatic generator start if the battery voltage drops to 11.5 volts. Do most of you just leave the inverter powered on while on shore power? If I did I guess the advantage would be that in the event of loss of shore power the refrigerator would stay on until the batteries were drained enough to trigger the genset to start.
PunksRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Here is where I got mine. A bit pricey but it might save in cables:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/dyno...-box-4-version

Here’s a shot of the 4 new Trojans

Ken
Ken I just bought that same battery box and am planning on doing the four Trojans just like your set up. Did you mount the box to the floor with any hardware? Do you have any concerns about the weight of the four Trojans and a genset on that front compartment floor?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #18

There are 2 drain holes that I drilled through the box and the floor. 4 years and 20,000 miles it still looks good. I don’t have a genset but I do have 2-2000w Honda’s in there.

Btw, I did some electrical mods on the inverter circuit. Not certain how yours is wired, but the 15a circuit branches before the invert to supply the entertainment slide.

I drew a wiring diagram of my mods if you you like to see it.

Also, I only turn the inverter off when cleaning the freezer.

Ken
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
There are 2 drain holes that I drilled through the box and the floor. 4 years and 20,000 miles it still looks good. I don’t have a genset but I do have 2-2000w Honda’s in there.

Btw, I did some electrical mods on the inverter circuit. Not certain how yours is wired, but the 15a circuit branches before the invert to supply the entertainment slide.

I drew a wiring diagram of my mods if you you like to see it.

Also, I only turn the inverter off when cleaning the freezer.

Ken
Thanks Ken. The drain holes are a good idea to drain off residue when cleaning the batteries or when watering them. I had 4 Trojans in my old National motorcoach and they needed regular rinsing off and cleaning due to corrosion build-up.

I would love to see your wiring diagram for your electrical mods. I did disconnect from shore power and turned the inverter on and it only powers the refrigerator outlet and the circuit breaker in my PD panel doesn't shut the outlet off when its on inverter. I don't quite understand how that outlet is isolated when on inverter power and yet tied to the circuit breaker with other outlets when on shore power?!?!

Are you planning on adding solar? I'd really like to be able to boondock for a few days without running the generator all the time to charge the batteries for the refrigerator.

Thanks - Paul
Old 03-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #20

Paul,

The 15a 120v circuit sits on one side of the inverter. The 12v batteries on the other side. The built in transfer switch looks to see if there is 120v ac. If so, it passes it straight through. If not, it takes the 12v and inverts it to 120v a/c. The refer outlet is a single line direct from the inverter and powers nothing else.

That 15a circuit has a junction box just before the inverter that directs the power to the entertainment slide and its outlets. The inverter is not involved.

No, I don't have solar and don't boon dock enough to make it worth while. I was out for almost 3 weeks and used less than 10 gallons of gas. I charge for an hour or so in the morning and top off the batteries for an hour or 2 at night.

I attached the diagram I made installing a 2nd inverter to power the rig and to give me the option of keeping the entertainment slide running on inverted power while boon docking. I did this using a double pole, double throw switch.

Hope that is clear!

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2232.jpg (147.7 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Redwood inverter diagram.pdf (368.1 KB, 32 views)