Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Slide Topper Awning!

Well, it's getting that time of year again to start getting out and about.

Anyway, had a small mishap this past weekend. While backing into my storage shed, I accidently got too close to the side wall and scraped the rear cap slightly. I also knocked the slide topper loose.

Long story short, it appears that these slide toppers have somewhat of a negative effect on the slide room! Meaning, since I removed the slide topper, the slide room operates very smoothly and without noise.

Now, maybe Redwood didn't install them correctly, since I've had nothing but trouble with my Dining Room Slide since I've had the RV, almost 3 years now.

Have to have a little body work done, but WILL NOT be putting the Slide Room Topper back on! May even take the topper off the Kitchen Slide too.

Just thought I'd throw this out for comment.

You all take Care.

JT
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #2

Is it possible that your Dining room slide as been slightly out of alignment and your mishap bumped it back where it belongs? The slide topper shouldn't cause any issues unless it's spring was wound so tight as to put additional drag on the slide it's self.
We've had toppers on the last four units and no problem with the slides.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Is it possible that your Dining room slide as been slightly out of alignment and your mishap bumped it back where it belongs? The slide topper shouldn't cause any issues unless it's spring was wound so tight as to put additional drag on the slide it's self.
We've had toppers on the last four units and no problem with the slides.
NOT sure on that. I had the slide re-aligned last year in Indiana at the Lippert Factory. I think I might have had a Bad Topper or Toppers. The one I removed never always had a SAG in the fabric. And the Spring always made a popping sound. Now, No Noise and runs in and out smoother than before.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Site Team

The slide toppers will make some popping noise as the slides are retracted. That's normal. They should not affect slide operation unless the springs were really wound too tight.

I have had slide toppers for 6 1/2 years and no problems until last summer when I had to service the topper over my dining/living slide. I had to remove and re-sew the the seams on the topper material. Also, did some service/repair on the roller and spring mechanism. Works very smoothly now with less noise because I added some silicone grease to the spring/bearing mechanism.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 AM   #5

I am guessing that REDWOOD used either Old or Very Outdated Slide Toppers. Thus the noise. After further inspection on the damaged Topper, there is a serial number dated 2011. This would explain the SAG in the Fabric the squeaky mechanism and possible binding when the slide goes in and out.

The opposite Slide Topper is doing the same thing and is probably from the same batch.

So, I need to get ahold of Carefree and see if there is maintenance to be done.