Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2023, 07:29 PM   #1

loss of TV signals

last night we were sitting there watching the evening news at a Virginia campground and all of a sudden the signal went away. We had upwards of 40 channels when we scanned after putting the antenna up. I verified the booster light was on and checked all the connections I could, even on the antenna. Nothing, not a single channel after many scanning's. My first thought was the booster failed even though the lite was on and the fuse was good. Well we are now at a campground in Pa. and everything is fine. Scanned and got upwards of 30 channels crystal clear. Any thoughts on what may have happened?
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkathybat View Post
last night we were sitting there watching the evening news at a Virginia campground and all of a sudden the signal went away. We had upwards of 40 channels when we scanned after putting the antenna up. I verified the booster light was on and checked all the connections I could, even on the antenna. Nothing, not a single channel after many scanning's. My first thought was the booster failed even though the lite was on and the fuse was good. Well we are now at a campground in Pa. and everything is fine. Scanned and got upwards of 30 channels crystal clear. Any thoughts on what may have happened?
If theres a led light that is lit on the booster, the fuse is good and it has power. My guess is a loose coax connection between the tv and booster/antenna. I have noticed also that the vent fans will interfere with the tv signal. Won’t loose the signal but definitely affects it.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:05 PM   #3

Well the LED light was on, but I checked the fuse anyway, it was good. Like I said we were just sitting there and the signal went away, not fuzzy just black on both TV's. I did check every COAX connection including the ones on the booster, both TV's, and the antenna. Everything was tight. It's just weird that the signal would just go away, no channels at all and yet the next day after arriving in Pa. it worked just fine.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:53 AM   #4

Just because the connections are tight doesn't mean they are good. I'm slowly replacing the factory compression fitting with cheap crimp connections because of loss of ground connection in the connector. For the Bat Wing or Jack to function it must receive +12 Vs at the antenna to power the amp in the antenna. Once you lose the ground, no more +12. We're having our issue with the Sat cables. Will function fine for weeks, then suddenly act up until you couldn't watch anything. Then start wiggling cables until something changes, then replace that connector, then good until the next connection acts up.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #5

Thanks, We've seen the same intermittent issues using the bat wing. The degrading coax connector issue sounds about right. If any one can give an opinion on the most likely offending connectors, e.g. up by the bat wing, TV center, booster module area, etc. Most of them are hidden behind the wall plates and are inter connected in several places. With out a schematic it's hard to figure out...