Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

We have had our 36RL since April last year and just went through our first winter. Any tips on keeping it warm? We are in Northern NJ and it hasn't been real cold but we are using a 40lb tank about every 4 days in cold weather. We have the bottom skirted with 1 1/2" styrofoam.
homeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #2

Do you have the fireplace ? use it if you do, along with other heat, we
use that and we also have a rotating ceramic heater that we use. to save on propane. If we are going to be in an area for a few months and know its going to get cold then, I get a tank from a local propane company and have them maintain it. It's worth it.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy
We have had our 36RL since April last year and just went through our first winter. Any tips on keeping it warm? We are in Northern NJ and it hasn't been real cold but we are using a 40lb tank about every 4 days in cold weather. We have the bottom skirted with 1 1/2" styrofoam.

I know they call these "Four season coaches", but, I have always been skeptical of that claim. I am not sure that Iwould want to try to live in one of these RW's (or any other RV) for extended periodsif the temperatures are going to get below 15 to 20 degrees F. You would have to have a very large supply of LP.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

This past fall we have been ours, RW 36RE during some cold times in Riverton, Wyoming at temps being in the teens and have had no problems, staying warm.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #5

I have been in my 36RL since July of 2012 and am spending the current winter in the upper Midwest. Temps have been as low as -22 degrees with wind chills at -38. Temps inside the coach are a constant 74 degrees and my average weekly propane usage is 8-10 gallons per week. I use two small ceramic space heaters, 1 electric oil heater radiator style heater, and 1 quartz inferred heater. The coach is 100% as it came from the factory - no skirting or additional insulation. I have found that if the outside temps are above 20 degrees the inside will warm up to roughly 80 degrees without the furnace kicking on. If outside temps drop to low teens, single digits or subzero, the four heaters cannot maintain anything warmer than 68 degrees inside. During the subzero cold days/nights I keep the furnace set to 72 degrees and allow the heaters and the furnace to work together to keep the coach warm. I did winterize my coach so I am not concerned with water lines freezing in the basement or underbelly and the rv park includes all electric with the monthly site rent. They also provide onsite shower houses and laundry facilities. I have found that not having running water in the coach has not really stopped me from doing what I need to in order to live comfortably during the winter months. I have to get creative some times, but nothing that would stop me from doing this again next winter should I still be up here. I would suggest looking into a few small ceramic space heaters to place throughout the coach to help offset your propane usage.