Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #1

Entry Door Does Not Close or Lock

Does anyone have any problems with their entry door not closing. This problem started a couple months back and is just getting worse. We took off the entry plate latch in order for the door to close to lock. Notice that the door hits the corner top. my question is there a easy way to fix this problem without taking the complete door and hinges off, or remove the frame of the doorway. Help anyone..\

AL
Al8723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

Sounds like you have the dreaded friction hinges. This can cause the door frame to separate and the door will then become hard to close and will hit at top back corner. Many of us have had to have our doors replaced because of this. I had ours done twice under warranty on the last time we replaced it with a door that did not have the friction hinges. 3.5 years and no issues since.

This issue will depend on the year of your RW they took away the friction hinges in new models.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #3

Put a 2" X 4" 4' long with 4" out at 45 degree angle, top left hand side(off hinge side), push in bottom left (off hinge side), make sure door does NOT close. mad need to repeat several times. This is what RW customer service told me several years ago. have not needed to change out door (2014 GK).
Bob & MariaVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #4

I was having the same problem. I oiled my door hinges and problem was fixed. Door no longer hits top corner and closes easy.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:34 AM   #5

The solution is not to replace the hinges. Don't replace the door or the frame
Simply thoroughly spray the friction hinges with WD40. These hinges require frequent lubricating to keep them from binding. I had the same exact problem and found my hinges were actually bending from too much friction. Bent the hinges back into shape. No problems for the last 2 years and still have all original parts. WD40 every 2 months.
Door still works with adequate friction to keep it from moving in the wind.
bvbond256@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Sounds like you have the dreaded friction hinges. This can cause the door frame to separate and the door will then become hard to close and will hit at top back corner. Many of us have had to have our doors replaced because of this. I had ours done twice under warranty on the last time we replaced it with a door that did not have the friction hinges. 3.5 years and no issues since.

This issue will depend on the year of your RW they took away the friction hinges in new models.

The friction hinges caused my door to fail. You will notice that the top of the door is wider than the bottom. You'll also notice the spacing between the inside door panel and the metal "frame" around the door indicates the top of the door has separated from the structure.
I read one comment by a fellow who drilled a hole through the top width of the door and used a threaded rod to pull the door back into its frame. I tackled it a different way before I'd heard about that method. Mine works, but his was better.
I took a 3' bar clamp and used it to draw the top of the door back to its proper width. I then drilled holes through the metal strip and used 3/8" sheet metal screws to anchor the cover to the frame. It has held for 6 months. A new door would have been a fortune with the custom paint job, so I guess I held off the expense for a while.
Good luck.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbond256@gmail.com View Post
The solution is not to replace the hinges. Don't replace the door or the frame
Simply thoroughly spray the friction hinges with WD40. These hinges require frequent lubricating to keep them from binding. I had the same exact problem and found my hinges were actually bending from too much friction. Bent the hinges back into shape. No problems for the last 2 years and still have all original parts. WD40 every 2 months.
Door still works with adequate friction to keep it from moving in the wind.
Use the silicone WD40 if you like WD40 rather than the regular, the regular is a dirt/dust magnet. Plus the silicone spray is recommended for the jacks & slide tracks/motors.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote