Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #101
Site Team

Steve - put them on local Craigslist - guys that have landscape trailers will happily buy them.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #102
lwg

FYI, when I replaced my convection oven under warranty I didn't even install the metal flap that attaches to the back of the oven. We only have the outside flap. I suspect that flap should have never been installed as the one we removed that was faulty did not have it installed. Unfortunately you'll have to remove the oven to fix, but fortunately that's not very difficult, just awkward.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #103
Site Team

Same here ~ I just reached in from the outside with a long pair of needlenose pliers. Simple twist and pull and the metal flap is history ............
Old 06-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #104

Every RV I've ever had in my life has had a secured flap for the range hood. Not sure why this is a sudden mystery.

I did trim the flap on my convection to fit through the vent hole on the Redwood after reading about the issue here.

My daughters Jayco has a new style, kind of cool and more robust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05584.JPG (93.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05585.JPG (96.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05586 (1).JPG (114.6 KB, 0 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Every RV I've ever had in my life has had a secured flap for the range hood. Not sure why this is a sudden mystery.

I did trim the flap on my convection to fit through the vent hole on the Redwood after reading about the issue here.

My daughters Jayco has a new style, kind of cool and more robust.
Sudden mystery because some of us never had convection ovens in the past requiring vents to the exterior. My last 5er had a microwave wit NO EXTERIOR VENT.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #106

I always assumed the vent was used for the exhaust when you turn on the fan for cooking. Do the convection ovens exhaust heat?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #107
Site Team

Convection ovens use a flow through air system. If the vent is closed it's like pinching your nose and closing your mouth when you try to clear your ears ....... Oven doesn't like it lol
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #108

I understand what you are saying now Rosy. I guess part of my routine during setup is to always open the exterior vent, regardless of what it vents.

The range hood requires a vent, because of the gas fuel, so if you have a gas range you should have the vent.

On ours, the range hood is integral with the convection oven so they incorporated the convection oven vent through the hood vent. But not always the case. The 23" Apollo convection oven and some of the Sansui ovens used on many of the 5ers actually had an auxiliary fan on the back and ducting that pushed the air back into the coach through the grille at the base of the convection oven. Those did not have an exterior vent, but the range hood was independent and mounted below the cabinet with an exterior vent.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
What exactly is happening to the door? Is the door falling apart or is it a hinge problem? Just curios in case I can do a fix before it happens.
Sorry it took me a while to answer.
When closing the door, the hinge pulls the panel and frame apart. You push the door close for a bit before the hinge will move. We have a nice white line up the hinge side of the door. Since they used this type of friction hinge, they should have bonded the door panel and frame together. Our door also does not fit in the frame. It sticks so bad, my wife cannot close it. If the sun is shinning on it, it is almost impossible to open/close. CW worked on it 3 times and did not help it any. The service adviser then told me I need to have another CW replace it. No idea why they did not want to. I did not push it because I wanted to get away from the that CW. Before you ask, it was CW of Mesa AZ. Avoid that one for service if possible. Great experience from the sales side. They treated us very well and continue to do so.

Rick
Old 06-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #110

Rick...wish I had better news for you . we fought and fiddled with our door for a year. It was hard to close and rubbing and scraping on the door latch side on a few areas, and wearing the paint off the rain gutter/latch side. Was real bad after the sun hit it as well. Redwood finnally replaced the door and it did the same thing. Turned out there are a couple spacers on hinge side of door frame that were not removed before install at the factory. After our dealer removed these spacers, door worked as it should. Now, a month later, door is back to rubbing paint off rain gutter and it"'s scraping along the latch side of frame. Worse once the sun comes out.
Don
[SIGPIC]
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #111

We are quite heartbroken to see the QC issues escalating instead of abating like we had been told they would do. It feels like as soon as they took up residence with Crossroads and changed up the team things actually got worse. I remember everyone was so hopeful that they were going to put a stop to the careless and needless factory mistakes and start having accountability at the line level.... but it appears that production challenges don't allow that. It will be a self-fulfilling prophecy, unfortunately. 6 months ago, I crowed to everyone that we would buy a RW again, but now... I am reserving my judgement and I am hesitant to recommend it. Let's hope for an improvement. Our old line "the whole RV industry has issues" is getting quite dogeared and I am tired of saying it. A lot of these mistakes are completely shameful and embarrassing and should NEVER happen, let alone happen over and over again. Come on Redwood, it costs LESS to do it right the first time, surely? Warranty claims costs are the reason they did away with the 2 year warranty (which was ONE of the big factors that made us choose RW). Instead of hurting the customer, fix it in the factory. When they did that, to me it just said, "We have less confidence in our product". RW says it's because it "tied up funds required to be held for each coach for 2 years". I don't buy that.

If the guy on the line who PLUGS IN THE COOK TOP keeps forgetting to plug it in, then he needs to be a parking lot sweeper.

***These are people's HOMES***

They are selling them as RESIDENTIAL RV's, start building them that way.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Sorry it took me a while to answer.
When closing the door, the hinge pulls the panel and frame apart. You push the door close for a bit before the hinge will move. We have a nice white line up the hinge side of the door. Since they used this type of friction hinge, they should have bonded the door panel and frame together. Our door also does not fit in the frame. It sticks so bad, my wife cannot close it. If the sun is shinning on it, it is almost impossible to open/close. CW worked on it 3 times and did not help it any. The service adviser then told me I need to have another CW replace it. No idea why they did not want to. I did not push it because I wanted to get away from the that CW. Before you ask, it was CW of Mesa AZ. Avoid that one for service if possible. Great experience from the sales side. They treated us very well and continue to do so.

Rick
I can understand how that might be happening - those new hinges are stiff!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Judith View Post
Rick...wish I had better news for you . we fought and fiddled with our door for a year. It was hard to close and rubbing and scraping on the door latch side on a few areas, and wearing the paint off the rain gutter/latch side. Was real bad after the sun hit it as well. Redwood finnally replaced the door and it did the same thing. Turned out there are a couple spacers on hinge side of door frame that were not removed before install at the factory. After our dealer removed these spacers, door worked as it should. Now, a month later, door is back to rubbing paint off rain gutter and it"'s scraping along the latch side of frame. Worse once the sun comes out.
Don
Don,

I understand. Until RW fixes how they build the doors, they will have the same problem. That's why I have not pushed to hard to get the door replaced. I do keep bringing it up to CW each chance I get. We just had the Trombetta solenoid for the hydraulics fail. Had a mobile repair guy fix it. So we missed an appointment a CW to get a leaking window fixed, they just replaced and the furnace looked at. Be another CW down the road I suppose.

Rick
Old 06-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #114

Quote:
Yep, I have removed some of the hinge, but the door is so messed up now it did not help.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #115

We have our (I think) 4th appointment set at service first week of August. We have had our RW one year this month and had far fewer issues than some I have seen here. That's still too many trips to service in one short year, in my opinion. To be fair though, one of the trips was for a surge protector fail that was nothing to do with RW... but still. Luckily, our service experiences have been excellent.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 06-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #116

[QUOTE=

If the guy on the line who PLUGS IN THE COOK TOP keeps forgetting to plug it in, then he needs to be a parking lot sweeper.

They are selling them as RESIDENTIAL RV's, start building them that way.[/QUOTE]
Our cook top was not plugged in either and CW did not notice on the walk thru. We were told it would not work at all until the correct pan was put on it. No difference anyhow, the cook top did not work and needed to be replaced.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #117

Geez, that's horrible. Just horrible. And everyone forgets what a HUGE inconvenience it is (and expensive) to haul the RW in for service. It's not a small thing... Oh well, preaching to the choir.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
We are quite heartbroken to see the QC issues escalating instead of abating like we had been told they would do. It feels like as soon as they took up residence with Crossroads and changed up the team things actually got worse. I remember everyone was so hopeful that they were going to put a stop to the careless and needless factory mistakes and start having accountability at the line level.... but it appears that production challenges don't allow that. It will be a self-fulfilling prophecy, unfortunately. 6 months ago, I crowed to everyone that we would buy a RW again, but now... I am reserving my judgement and I am hesitant to recommend it. Let's hope for an improvement. Our old line "the whole RV industry has issues" is getting quite dogeared and I am tired of saying it. A lot of these mistakes are completely shameful and embarrassing and should NEVER happen, let alone happen over and over again. Come on Redwood, it costs LESS to do it right the first time, surely? Warranty claims costs are the reason they did away with the 2 year warranty (which was ONE of the big factors that made us choose RW). Instead of hurting the customer, fix it in the factory. When they did that, to me it just said, "We have less confidence in our product". RW says it's because it "tied up funds required to be held for each coach for 2 years". I don't buy that.

They are selling them as RESIDENTIAL RV's, start building them that way.
Not sure where the information came from about the 2 year warranty but it's not correct...I'm attaching directly from the Redwood website their warranty information...they still have the 2 year warranty on The Redwoods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (240.9 KB, 2 views)
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 AM   #119

Quote:
Thought that I was the only one having issues with my door.....stiff hinge(s) difficult to close & open. Guess I was wrong. Geeeze thought that when I "upgraded" to my "residential grade" Redwood from our Forest River Cardinal that issue(s) like this would be a rarity.......wrong again
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #120

They changed doors last year, including the cabinet doors. The cabinet doors got better, but the main door hinges are awful.

They were actually made that way - called an anti sail hinge or something like that to prevent the door banging open or closed in a breeze. I much prefer my old one.