Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #61

Dave,

Why 13,330. Does this include the trailer weight on the hitch?I believe that you can, at least in Maine, register a truck at any weight you want, as long as you don't exceed it.

I went through the multiple license times, but then the conversion.

Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #62
Site Team

My truck has a factory GVW of 13300 and that's why Illinois says I have to have plates to cover that weight.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #63

Texas Class A License

For those RW owners who are licensed in Texas, I thought I would share this. After upgrading from my toy hauler to the 38GK, I heard that the State of Texas required a Class A (non CDL) license to pull the RW since my combined GVWR was over 26,000lbs and the RW was over 14,000lbs dry. I contacted DPS in Denton and they confirmed this information. I took my written test, passed and was scheduled for my driving test. Took the driving test Thursday. Very professional examiner from DPS. After checking my equipment she asked me to back 100 feet in a straight line. (No problem). Then she asked to me parallel park the RW within 18" of the curb without hitting the curb. I've backed into some pretty tight spaces with no problems, but I have to admit never tried that! Anyway, finally got it parallel parked without hitting the curb. Passed the rest of the driving test, so I am legal in Texas.

The reason I mention this is that a number of my friends who we travel with have big trailers and were not aware of this licensing requirement in Texas.

Bob, Mary & Kailee Ann
2014 38GK
2013 F-350 DW Diesel
03 Harley Classic & Idaho Tote
Caribe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #64

Many States are getting on that "Band Wagon" of any combined weight over 26K requiring a special license or special endorsement. I'll take my Florida standard license, good for trucks up to 26K or ANY RV.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #65

In British Columbia we had something similar - had to pass a multiple guess test plus a vision test before they gave me a learners permit. The driving test comprised a 30 min pre-trip inspection of truck & coach, a 45 min driving test around town then had to reverse about 100' in a straight line.

Didn't have to parallel park.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #66

We were out and about this weekend and had our 3500 Ram and 2013 36RE loaded weighed. We came in at 24,500 combined. Plenty of room from the 26K license threshold. Whew!!!! I was not looking forward to a DL exam.lol
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 AM   #67
Site Team

On our last trip to AZ, we were loaded heavy for an extra long trip. I was curious about our weight and when I scaled it we were at 26,500. Honestly I was surprised we were that heavy but we did have 1/3 in all tanks.

Last year I had to renew my license and I chose to keep my CDL but I had to change over to a "non-commercial" endorsement. If the states start checking these rigs I'll be glad I kept them.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #68

You might check the Texas statute on this. The way DPS explained it to me was that regardless of what your actual weights are - if your GVWR is over 26000 lbs or your trailer is over 10000 lbs you were required to have a Class A license. I agree the statute is confusing, but this seems to be how they are interpreting/ enforcing it.

Bob, Mary & Kailee Ann
2014 38GK
2013 F-350 DW Diesel
03 Harley Classic & Idaho Tote
Caribe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe77 View Post
You might check the Texas statute on this. The way DPS explained it to me was that regardless of what your actual weights are - if your GVWR is over 26000 lbs or your trailer is over 10000 lbs you were required to have a Class A license. I agree the statute is confusing, but this seems to be how they are interpreting/ enforcing it.
They'll figure out some way to get more money from you.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #70

The Licensing varies from what state you are registered in. Some are more lax than others. That's another thing to consider when registering if you're gong full time. So far SD is pretty lenient with licensing and decent licensing plate costs
Old 02-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #71

Texas - Exemption Certificate for Class A or B Non-CDL for RV use

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #72

Looking at that form Titan Guy....
No WONDER the dps offices are confused too !
just like most gooberment forms it does have ambiguous verbiage

"I will operate a commercial vehicle....."
and the choice we would check says:
"a recreational vehicle... for personal use"

if it's a recreational vehicle and it's for personal use, how can it be a commercial vehicle ?!?

but thanks, I printed it out and will bring it in !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #73

Here in Canada (Ontario) the ammended laws have been on the books.. so to speak since 2008. Major changes were introduced in 2011 and FULL enforcement has been implemented as of Jan 01 2014. I speak of first hand knowledge as we have been pulled over.. and SCALED 3 times this year alone!!!! The MTO has been directed to enforce the current licening code.. (as they should). RV`S are now a prime target in Ontario. for correct license, safety checks, correct hitch connections, brake adjustment..

I currently have a CLASS A (1) license with a Z (airbrake) endorsement, and our rig and tow vehicle gets a yearly safety so I am more than complient.

Living with in 3 miles of an inspection/scale station outside of London Ont, I have seen the rv`s pulled over by those white sedans with the green lettering.. almost hourly... on the weekends. ( the Ontario Provincial Police) have been enlisted to assist for the long weekend blitz`s they have planned for the crackdown.

Others in our area have not been so fortunate.. the fleet towing/recovery operators have been kept busy removing OUT OF SERVICE (defective) tow vehicles and trailers.

http://www.pstc.ca/trucking_today/tr...today/ontario/ usefull link.. explains in layman`s terms as to what is required to tow in Ontario

a Class A Restricted will more than suffice for most rv`ers.. (basically same test scenarios) but you take the road test with you tow vehicle and trailer..

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...s/part2a.shtml Fully explains the licenses to legally tow in Ontario

(
A truck camper towing a trailer and/or motor vehicle:Class "G" if the truck is registered for and the combination weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less,Class "D" if the truck is registered for or the combination weighs more than 11,000 kgs, orClass "A" if the weight of the towed vehicle or the combined weight of the towed vehicles exceeds 4,600 kgs (10,141 lbs)
Basically if your towed trailer weighs more than 4800kg`s..(10141 Pounds). the Operator requires a Class A (1) license. which in the case of most of the redwood owners is the case.

Keep in mind.. that the tow unit AND !!!!!! the trailer require an ANNUAL safety inspection (and certificate).

Many many dealers in our area, including the one we purchased our 36fl from still insist that the class 1 license is not required...

The towing/removal charges alone will be a shock let alone the increased insurance costs from have 6 demerit points and a 30 day suspended license from not being complient.

Not meaning to burst any bubbles or to start another raging debate... just a heads up.. if you tow/own a heavy fiver in Ontario..
mesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #74
lwg

I personally wish they would at least require some sort of written test to haul around these big trailers. Not so keen on the drivers test or heavy fees, just think more drivers should be a little more informed. After wintering at the biggest park here in Mesa I've seen a lot of silly things come through here...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #75

The ones I really like are the 45' MHs towing a 25' to 30' enclosed trailer on their regular passenger car license. Or one I just saw on another forum, the MH with a Toad and a boat and trailer behind the toad, like 75' over all length.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I personally wish they would at least require some sort of written test to haul around these big trailers. Not so keen on the drivers test or heavy fees, just think more drivers should be a little more informed. After wintering at the biggest park here in Mesa I've seen a lot of silly things come through here...
I have to agree with lwg as far as testing goes.it,s kind of I want it for everyone but me. In SD anyway you can go from driving a car the size of a Smart Car to a 40ft. Motor home or a 1ton pickup with 40 ft. Trailer with the same license. I would like to see at least a basic written test to make sure you understand the basics. I would also like to see a basic driving test to know that you know the basics like turning radius and simple backing etc. This is something else I would like to see but I don,t know how it could be done without being a pain. There are too many people running overloaded. I would like the weight checked, but not all the time like the truckers.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #77

Well, not sure I'd agree with more gooberment interference, as they have a tendency to create unintended consequences...

We could treat it like like Motorcycle riders... they learn REAL quick or they are no longer around
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesg View Post
Here in Canada (Ontario) the ammended laws have been on the books.. so to speak since 2008. Major changes were introduced in 2011 and FULL enforcement has been implemented as of Jan 01 2014. I speak of first hand knowledge as we have been pulled over.. and SCALED 3 times this year alone!!!! The MTO has been directed to enforce the current licening code.. (as they should). RV`S are now a prime target in Ontario. for correct license, safety checks, correct hitch connections, brake adjustment..

I currently have a CLASS A (1) license with a Z (airbrake) endorsement, and our rig and tow vehicle gets a yearly safety so I am more than complient.

Living with in 3 miles of an inspection/scale station outside of London Ont, I have seen the rv`s pulled over by those white sedans with the green lettering.. almost hourly... on the weekends. ( the Ontario Provincial Police) have been enlisted to assist for the long weekend blitz`s they have planned for the crackdown.

Others in our area have not been so fortunate.. the fleet towing/recovery operators have been kept busy removing OUT OF SERVICE (defective) tow vehicles and trailers.

http://www.pstc.ca/trucking_today/tr...today/ontario/ usefull link.. explains in layman`s terms as to what is required to tow in Ontario

a Class A Restricted will more than suffice for most rv`ers.. (basically same test scenarios) but you take the road test with you tow vehicle and trailer..

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...s/part2a.shtml Fully explains the licenses to legally tow in Ontario

(
A truck camper towing a trailer and/or motor vehicle:Class "G" if the truck is registered for and the combination weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less,Class "D" if the truck is registered for or the combination weighs more than 11,000 kgs, orClass "A" if the weight of the towed vehicle or the combined weight of the towed vehicles exceeds 4,600 kgs (10,141 lbs)
Basically if your towed trailer weighs more than 4800kg`s..(10141 Pounds). the Operator requires a Class A (1) license. which in the case of most of the redwood owners is the case.

Keep in mind.. that the tow unit AND !!!!!! the trailer require an ANNUAL safety inspection (and certificate).

Many many dealers in our area, including the one we purchased our 36fl from still insist that the class 1 license is not required...

The towing/removal charges alone will be a shock let alone the increased insurance costs from have 6 demerit points and a 30 day suspended license from not being complient.

Not meaning to burst any bubbles or to start another raging debate... just a heads up.. if you tow/own a heavy fiver in Ontario..

The above information is generally correct for Ontario but you do not require an annual inspection for an RV, you do need it for trailers like the commercial guys have (the yellow sticker).
Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #79

I'm not necessarly in favor of more gooberment, but would like to see a happy medium. As far as treating them like motorcycles, some of them are as big or a lot bigger then me when driving solo.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:19 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
or one I just saw on another forum, the MH with a Toad and a boat and trailer behind the toad, like 75' over all length.
You can do that? That would solve a lot of logistics for me

My last rig of TV, 5er, boat was 77 ft. Length not my concern.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote