Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #1

hitch

anyone try the new goose neck Anderson Ultimate Hitch?
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #2

Some have, I personally have a really hard time to wrap my head around buying the biggest heaviest Fifthwheel and then look to use the lightest weight hitch you can find.
My Comfort Ride Hitch weights a ton and is built like a tank, but I don't worry about it being up to the task.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Some have, I personally have a really hard time to wrap my head around buying the biggest heaviest Fifthwheel and then look to use the lightest weight hitch you can find.
My Comfort Ride Hitch weights a ton and is built like a tank, but I don't worry about it being up to the task.
I have no experience with the Anderson, but just like M&A I can't wrap my head around a 35lb aluminum tripod dragging 16.5k+ lbs & 3500-4000lbs constantly hammering down on it on the great highway systems across the country.
I had the B&W Companion hitch, it comes in 2 pieces that I could remove by myself with not too much difficulty, no worries about it's ability to handle the load.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:11 PM   #4

Thank you for your reply
Old 01-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #5

We have used the Steel Anderson since the day we picked up our RW on 2/10/15. Pulled it over most of the country and have not had any issues. Far as I am concerned, I would not use another hitch to pull any fifth wheel. Unless someone wants to give me a Comfort Ride.

I have no experience with the Aluminum version so I will not comment.
There are many who use an Anderson in the Facebook group. Might ask about the Aluminum version there.

Rick
Old 01-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #6

To be quite honest and if I were to buy another 5th wheel I'd have to do more research on the Reese Goosebox, it's cushioned, approved by Lippert to not void your warranty & once unhooked there's nothing but the turnover ball left in the bed which can be removed in about 5 seconds.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
To be quite honest and if I were to buy another 5th wheel I'd have to do more research on the Reese Goosebox, it's cushioned, approved by Lippert to not void your warranty & once unhooked there's nothing but the turnover ball left in the bed which can be removed in about 5 seconds.
I could agree with that.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #8

Here's some food for thought from a thread on the Montana Forum where a member asked Lippert's thoughts on the Anderson:

Lippert replied "We advise against the use of any adapters or extensions on the king pin of the pin box. The Andersen hitch is considered an adapter. The use of one of these may cause damage to the upper deck that LCI may not be able to assist in."
So, Lippert didn't actually use the words "void the warranty", but strongly hinted at that.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:00 AM   #9

From Andersen's web site;
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...-warranty.aspx

The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection DOES NOT void any trailer manufacturer’s warranty.
Over the years we've heard from some of our Dealers that a few RV/trailer frame manufacturers have told them (or implied) that they will void the warranty on their trailer or trailer frame if an “unapproved” adapter is used to hook up the trailer to a tow vehicle. However, it has been difficult to actually verify those claims with the manufacturers since they never put it in writing. And why don't they put it in writing? Because those manufacturer's know that it is illegal for them to make those claims, but they want to try and to push buyers into only buying their products by using verbal "bully" tactics.

Simply put, there’s absolutely no need to worry about voiding your warranty by using our product!

Sample Manufacturer Warranty
The first statement is:

"This Limited Warranty does not cover any Covered Product which is found to have been modified or altered in any way."

The Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Hitch — just like any other 5th Wheel Hitch — does not modify or alter the trailer frame, so there's certainly no issue there.

The second statement says:

"This Limited Warranty is intended to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act and any provisions of this Limited Warranty or actions taken by Warrantor pursuant to this Limited Warranty shall be construed accordingly."

That’s good news because the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is designed to protect you, the consumer, as shown below.

Andersen's $5 Million Supplemental Warranty
We’re so confident in our Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection that we have implemented a program in which we will cover the trailer frame and king pin through our own supplemental warranty under our own insurance company for up to $5 million dollars!
Old 01-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #10

anderson hitch

All Righty , then,,, thank yall for all of the input on the Anderson Hitch.

We truly, appreciate your time and information on this, We have only heard good things about it. we love reading all of your post , on the Redwoods.
This is really, a helpful forum. Thanks Redwood owners.

Rick and Nell
Old 01-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #11

Hitch

When I purchased my 2018 F350 I needed a new hitch to fit the factory installed adapters. Since I had just gone from a Ram 3500 to the Ford, I didn't know if I might prefer to switch truck brands again so I looked at all of the 5th wheel hitches that mount on a goose neck ball in the bed. These 2 5/16" ball mount hitches would fit any brand of truck that has a goose neck ball as all 3 of the major brands do. I chose the Demco Recon 2-5/16" Ball Mount hitch.

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/hijacker-5th-wheel-hitches/premier-series-1

This has a 21,000 Lb load capacity, easily comes apart into 2 or 3 pieces so I can lift it in and out of the truck bed by myself, and leaves me a clear bed. It installs and removes in about a minute or two once you have adjusted the initial height, and is a traditional 5th wheel saddle like we are all used to. I've pulled my 36FB all over with it and I love it. I think it is the best of both worlds.

Retired and happy
Mike & Lizzy
2013 36FB Black & Silver w/ 2018 F350 Lariat LWB DRW Powerstroke
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:43 AM   #12

I think the real issue is not how it works but how it breaks! When you’re in an accident loads go in lots of directions. The Anderson hitched just fold up and crumble and the trailer can go anywhere including through the cab of your truck. I wouldn’t trust anything but a heavy duty fifth wheel hitch like the B&W
RV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8R View Post
I think the real issue is not how it works but how it breaks! When you’re in an accident loads go in lots of directions. The Anderson hitched just fold up and crumble and the trailer can go anywhere including through the cab of your truck. I wouldn’t trust anything but a heavy duty fifth wheel hitch like the B&W

AGREE ! !

The Anderson is a great hitch for trailers that are probably under 11,000 #- 12,000#.....

But for 17,000# - 18,000# I find it hard to believe that 25# of aluminum tube will support that....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #14

Next time you fly, don’t look out the window at those huge jet engines hanging off those aluminum wings. I think it depends on how the hitch is designed and welded. Anderson is not going to manufacture and sell a product that is opening them up to a catastrophic loss. Now the RV manufacturing industry has been selling poorly welded frames for years but the failure does not cause the trailer to disconnect from the truck so we just live with that. My guess is you would hear if hitches started to fail as the accidents would make the news because of there severity.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #15

I can only imagine what a nightmare that would be hooking up without a camera.
Reese goose box. looks interesting. Why not go with "Airsafe Hitch"? Super ride. easy to connect and disconnect and 25K rated.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy1 View Post
Next time you fly, don’t look out the window at those huge jet engines hanging off those aluminum wings. I think it depends on how the hitch is designed and welded. Anderson is not going to manufacture and sell a product that is opening them up to a catastrophic loss. Now the RV manufacturing industry has been selling poorly welded frames for years but the failure does not cause the trailer to disconnect from the truck so we just live with that. My guess is you would hear if hitches started to fail as the accidents would make the news because of there severity.
I do think any one is debating what its made of .

I have see photos of the hitch after accidents , minor of major I cant say. They do bend and you most likely are not pulling your trailer away from the seen with the hitch in like new condition .

I am sure that could be debated with every hitch but I am will to take a chance on 3/8" steel and 200lbs of hitch is not going to fail. I feel the hitch is built as strong as the frame its bolted to so the weak link is most likely going to be the upper deck in the LCi frame or how the hitch is attached to the truck frame.
.02c
Old 01-25-2021, 02:37 AM   #17

After have extensive frame repairs done to our Redwoods pin box area, me using any type of gooseneck adaptor is most defiantly out.
The Repair shop in Houston said they have done frame repair on 5th Wheels with gooseneck adaptors and highly recommends not using any type of pin box adaptor like a Goosebox.
As far as the Anderson Hitch goes, our Redwood is just under 18,000 lbs. I will stick with our 24K rated standard 5th Wheel hitch, no Anderson for us as we tow in all road conditions and terrains year round. I am not an aggressive driver but we have failed two Lippert Tri Glide Pin Boxes (one almost came apart) before switching to a Moryde Pin Box so there is a lot of stress in this area.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
The Repair shop in Houston said they have done frame repair on 5th Wheels with gooseneck adaptors and highly recommends not using any type of pin box adaptor like a Goosebox.
It is my understanding that the reese goosebox is NOT considerred a pin box adapter and Lippert approves it as a pin box replacement. Did the shop specifically call out gooseboxs or just pin box adapters?

We have a new to us 2015 38rl and a 2021 350 drw and are shopping for hitches. Would like an air suspension but the trailsavers are very expensive versus the goosebox.

The pin weight limitation of 4k worries me also a bit but if we reach 25% gvwr we will be pretty close (4125).

Anyone with a heavy readwood using a goosebox?.
frank33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank33v View Post
It is my understanding that the reese goosebox is NOT considerred a pin box adapter and Lippert approves it as a pin box replacement. Did the shop specifically call out gooseboxs or just pin box adapters?

We have a new to us 2015 38rl and a 2021 350 drw and are shopping for hitches. Would like an air suspension but the trailsavers are very expensive versus the goosebox.

The pin weight limitation of 4k worries me also a bit but if we reach 25% gvwr we will be pretty close (4125).

Anyone with a heavy redwood using a goosebox?.

Any pin box or adapter that is longer then the standard pin box puts more stress on the frame. You could look at the GEN-Y pin box , they have units rated over 4K that have rubber trunnions to make it ride smoother. You maybe able to run a standard hitch and a gen y pin box and get the same results as a air ride hitch or close to the same results. My Hensley BD5 has about 4~5 " of vertical travel that I set the air in the bags to let it come up about 1 1/2" or down 3 1/2". If I need more bed rail clearance I can pump up the bags to gain the 1 1/2" .

https://genyhitch.com/product/execut...-torsion-flex/