Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #1

Shane,
I have no doubt that the truck will pull it. The torque and horsepower ratings have steadily climbed over the last few years. My concern is the fact that I'd be over on the pin weight. I can afford a new truck or replace the fifth wheel but not both. We found the 36RL that we fell in love with at a show when it was new. Karma is taunting me but I'm afraid the Safety Nazi in me isn't going to allow me to make this deal. . .
Jim

Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 AM   #2

A buddy of mine had a 3/4 ton GMC and purchased a big horn. All he said was it was to scary on the road. He soon went to a 1 ton single and said it was ok.
I had done a lot of research since we purchased are RW before we had the truck. My opinion is diesel which gives you more power then you need and we actually got 14.2 mpg on our last trip. Dually is also a must have for me. Just seems more stable and when you see the monster behind you a little extra truck doesn't hurt.

I would be very scared with a 3/4 ton unless you plan on staying local.
This is only my opinion and others may disagree.

Steve
Old 06-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_a_wolfe View Post
Shane,
I have no doubt that the truck will pull it. The torque and horsepower ratings have steadily climbed over the last few years. My concern is the fact that I'd be over on the pin weight. I can afford a new truck or replace the fifth wheel but not both. We found the 36RL that we fell in love with at a show when it was new. Karma is taunting me but I'm afraid the Safety Nazi in me isn't going to allow me to make this deal. . .
Jim
Jim
if you are only using it for weekend camping and not pulling across the country you will be ok. Until you can upgradeThe rear end on the 2500, 250 is the same as a 1 ton. Limitations are tires and rims that get overloaded. The 36rl has a pin weight of 3500 lbs and the 3/4 ton is good for 1100 lbs pin weight
you will be overloaded. Mechanically you should have no problem. Just don't run into anyone
Old 06-04-2015, 03:46 AM   #4

Shane,
To clarify, the pin weight on the 36RL is posted to be 2660 lbs.
The rated capacity of my 3/4 ton Ram is 2270.
My concern would be once loaded, the 400 pounds might climb to ??
Jim
PS. The tires and rims on my 3/4 ton are identical to the ones on a 1 ton SRW.
Jim

Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #5

I asked the same questions 2 years ago - looking through forums for permission to tow my new 2014 36RL with a SRW F350. I mixed and mashed numbers, filtered out what I didn't want to hear from others, until I finally felt justified. I bought the 36RL and hit the scales. Tires were overloaded - not to mention pin weight. 2600 advertised pin weight turned to 4300 lbs (with water) actual weight and 3600 lbs without water.

Within 30 days, I had a dually. Didn't want a dually, don't like dually's, but I have a dually because I got myself in a pickle that I couldn't easily get backed out of. Talk axles and gears and air bags and all the junk you want, but when the tires are over the max load, I draw the line.

But it sounds like you have been down this road before - as you already know the metaphors and terms better than most.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote