Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #81

I sold rv's for 4 years and can assure you that Redwood is a top notch unit. You can build a million dollar home and will have issues. Remember, that home does not travel up and down America's smooth highways. We are absolutely thrilled with our coach and have the utmost confidence that Redwood will keep us satisfied.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #82

Man that took a lot work anybody got a beer?

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #83
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
As for the door question.I have two doors. One has a gas strut on it, the other one doesn't. It does however have a door holder so when I open the rear door I fasten it to the holder and it stays put.

Awesome this is what I like about this form you post a question and someone will provide an answer. So it does have a gas strut and or a door holder, guess I don't have to give my dealer a call and he dosen't have to call andbotherthe factory. Yes this is a good product or we wouldn't have ordered one and yes when someone posted the comment I couldn't remember seeing one on the model I looked at, hence posting the question and thanks for the replies

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #84

Morning all and Happy Easter Sunday.
Yes Redwood does have a great product, the best I have seen in over two years of searching. And thanks for the info on Andy being out of the country. I do have the check list and have been calmed down by your statements. I don't usually get angst over purchases but when I saw that your questions weren't being answered I got mad. Like all of you I have been on the other side and my policy has been the ALWAYS get back to your customer. Thanks again fellow forumers. ( Is that word?)
Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #85

Happy Easter to all. Hope everyone has a blessed day in the rv world.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #86

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

I was at Explore USA in Ft Worth the other day and I looked at 4 RW's 1 RE , 2Fl's and newly acquired FB....ALL had air shock doors excrpt 1 and it had the latch at the bottom on the outside of the trailer..If hooked right there should be no paint damage...however if you open the door and a gust of wind gtakes it way from you that latch won't help...Don't understand why all doors wouldn't have a gas strut...Maybe that item was missed at the factory and could be installed free of charge at the dealer.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #87

That is good info... I would even be interested in paying for it. No matter how careful you are, the likelihood that a gust of wind willsomeday slam that door against thatpaint is high.I'll look for a picture and see if I can replicate it.
Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #88

I don't mind having the strut on our main entry door and just the holder on the secondary door. The down side of the strut is that you can't open the door fully like you can with a door with just the holder installed.
I've never had the wind blow the door out of my hand. Maybe it's just me but if the wind is blowing hard enough to rip the door from my grasp I tend to grip it a bit more tightly and I never leave the door unhooked from the holder even on calm days. You never know when that evil breeze will come through the campground.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #89

I assumeyou shouldn'ttalk about how your salesman sucks either.

Lillyputz
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #90

Quote:
I don't mind having the strut on our main entry door and just the holder on the secondary door. The down side of the strut is that you can't open the door fully like you can with a door with just the holder installed.
I've never had the wind blow the door out of my hand. Maybe it's just me but if the wind is blowing hard enough to rip the door from my grasp I tend to grip it a bit more tightly and I never leave the door unhooked from the holder even on calm days. You never know when that evil breeze will come through the campground.
Well here is the nice thing about the strut. On the fl the awning is very close to the door, on our Outback the door and awning are the same way to say the least 300.00 later when the door was open too far and the awning was retracted. Bent arm and door. Gas struts are good
Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #91

We have the 36FL and a strut on the front door is almost a necessity because of the awning bracket. The door would collide with it otherwise.
My rear door clears the awning fabric with room to spare even with the arms retracted to their lowest position.... your results may vary.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #92

Quote:
We have the 36FL and a strut on the front door is almost a necessity because of the awning bracket. The door would collide with it otherwise.
My rear door clears the awning fabric with room to spare even with the arms retracted to their lowest position.... your results may vary.
Thanks. I was worried about that. We get ours on May 8. looking forward to it. We have a dishwasher in ours. Bought the show model. How does your tow and what do you tow with. Me a GMC 3500 HD DRW
Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #93

This is our first fifth wheel and I was surprised at how easy it tows. We pulled a 8500 lb travel trailer with a 1/2 ton Ram and I was always aware that the trailer was behind me. The Redwood is 6' longer and 3 tons heavier but pulls like a dream. You can forget it's back there sometimes.
We have a 2012 Ram 3500 crew cab DRW and it handles the rig just fine. We'll be getting into the Appalachian and Smokey mountains over the next few months so I'll let you know how it handles that terrain.
One place I know we won't be going is Amicalola State Park in Georgia. We took our son and his girlfriend there to start their Appalachian Trail hike and took a drive up to the campground just to check it out. The road up has some sections that are a 25% grade...yikes. The campground had some 30ish foot travel trailers but that was the longest ones I saw. If you do make it up to the campground there's a nice, tight 180 degree turn waiting for you at the end... then the ride down with 16000 pounds pushing you... no thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #94

Quote:
This is our first fifth wheel and I was surprised at how easy it tows. We pulled a 8500 lb travel trailer with a 1/2 ton Ram and I was always aware that the trailer was behind me. The Redwood is 6' longer and 3 tons heavier but pulls like a dream. You can forget it's back there sometimes.
We have a 2012 Ram 3500 crew cab DRW and it handles the rig just fine. We'll be getting into the Appalachian and Smokey mountains over the next few months so I'll let you know how it handles that terrain.Â*
One place I know we won't be going is Amicalola State Park in Georgia. We took our son and his girlfriend there to start their Appalachian Trail hike and took a drive up to the campground just to check it out. The road up has some sections that are a 25% grade...yikes. The campground had some 30ish foot travel trailers but that was the longest ones I saw. If you do make it up to the campground there's a nice, tight 180 degree turn waiting for you at the end... then the ride down with 16000 pounds pushing you... Â*no thanks
Sounds like fun. Drove down the road in New Brunswick and just followed the road. It ended and had to turn around in a little drive way. Gotta learn how to back up. Used to haul fuel in a 45 ft trailer. Go slow and think before you back up.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #95

I think I read something just now (but can't find it) tha a Dealer had been pulled from Redwood either Sales and or Service.....Any info out there?
RW36FB
Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #96

Just found out my unit is about a week late should be delivered by next Friday ...Also found out you can ck with your factory rep when your unit is off line how much it weiged before it gets to you....mine weighed 13,810 and the tongue weight calculated at 21 % is 2792 and with the G rated tires it has a GVWR of 16,500
RW36FB
Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #97

So it looks like the average real weight is running approx 1000 Lbs more than the Brochure, but on the other hand it looks like some pin weights are coming in less which must be due to locations of some of our options. Kind of goes to show that the number published in brochures are hardly worth the paper they're printed on. No wonder folks get in trouble with more rig than their TV can handle.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #98
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

So it looks like the average real weight is running approx 1000 Lbs more than the Brochure, but on the other hand it looks like some pin weights are coming in less which must be due to locations of some of our options. Kind of goes to show that the number published in brochures are hardly worth the paper they're printed on. No wonder folks get in trouble with more rig than their TV can handle.

People need to be aware that these published weights are with a bare bones unit and indeed the more you order the more it weighs. There is nothing wrong with the brochures. As my father used to say figure out what size truck you need then get one one size larger

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #99

You and I know that the brochure numbers are for a bare bones unit, but unfortunately there is too many people out there that don't . I'm a member of numerous RV forums and I just shake my head when weight issues come up. As an example, someone was asking if it would be okay to tow a 30 plus foot TT with a Jeep Liberty, just about everyone answered no way, but you always get someone that answers that they've been doing it for 20 years with no problem. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what our unit weighs when it gets here.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
You and I know that the brochure numbers are for a bare bones unit, but unfortunately there is too many people out there that don't . I'm a member of numerous RV forums and I just shake my head when weight issues come up. As an example, someone was asking if it would be okay to tow a 30 plus foot TT with a Jeep Liberty, just about everyone answered no way, but you always get someone that answers that they've been doing it for 20 years with no problem. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what our unit weighs when it gets here.

You're right. I've been to RV shows and overheard sales peopletelling potential customers, when asked,that there 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck will be just fine, for an obviously too heavy of a 5th wheel for there truck.

Lillyputz