Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

The problem with installing after the transfer switch is you have to modify the output of the generator to bond the Neutral and Ground together or the Surge Protector will not let the generator output thru. I guess there's really nothing wrong doing that, but most don't recommend it, so the typical install goes before the transfer switch.

Well I changed it all around and you still need to bond the ground on the generator. I'm using a Honda
EU 6500ISAC inverter. Thought I might be able to get away with something. But genny is still bonded to make the surge protector happy even before the transfer switch.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #282

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

If you install your unit like Tall Pines did and I will do when I can find a cool day here in Texas...If you trade or sell your unit you can remove your protector easily and reconnect the wiring as it came from factory
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #283

Is your Honda a portable unit and if it is will it fit in the trailer generator box and is the prewired plugs for the Onan useable
RW36FB
Old 08-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce

Is your Honda a portable unit and if it is will it fit in the trailer generator box and is the prewired plugs for the Onan useable

Thats what my plans are. I think all I'll have to do is take off the wheel kit and it should fit. The only thing I'm not sure of is making up a filler neck to the fuel tank. The other thing I'm thinking about is installing a Plug in the front like 5 time is doing and just keep the gen in the back of my truck. The stock plug is about 8 feet short.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #285

Chuck, how do you plan to handle the exhaust? Also, don't forget that most portables use 30A wiring, so you will need an 14-30R outlet instead. You can check out how Redwood installs the Onan, wiring, transfer switch, etc from the factory when we get to the rally.Did you get the gen prep option?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #286
Site Team

I'd thought for a long time of putting a "genny" in the bed of my truck and running the diesel out of the fuel tank from the truck as well. That way I'd always have fuel and just run a exhaust pipe under the truck. I ended up buying the factory genny to save the hassle.

But I sure wish I had that extra cargo space that the genny takes up
Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #287

I did the same. We had two of the Honda 2000's. one would run everything but a/c, on our old unit. didn't want to mess with filling, exaust, securety and having to go out and start them.

Lillyputz
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #288
Site Team

I use my generator more on the road while traveling than anything else. I pull into a rest area, fire up the generator and then I can turn on the A/C and take a nap or turn on the microwave and cook. It's GREAT! I still have the availability so stop an set up camp in the parking lots as well.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #289
Site Team

I need recommendations on the air bags for trucks. I need to buy some before my trip to Maine. I've seen the wireless controls and some of the controllers will do front and back bags. Will I need bags in the front too? Does anybody use the wireless system, does it work well?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #290

We too went from the dual Hondas to the on board Genny. Sure is nice to just hit the button and have power vs digging out the Hondas, hooking them up and securing them so they didn't walk away.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #291

Dave, does your rig make your TV squat that much that you need the bags, or are you just trying to soften the ride? Our Chevy squats just enough to engage the helper springs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #292
Site Team

I want to firm up the ride and make it so my head lights are aimed a little lower while pulling the trailer. Between my extra fuel tank, generator and the washer/dryer, I'm putting around 4200 lbs in the bed of my truck. The truck is rated for 6000 lbs but I've noticed the extra bounce on some of the roads and I want to firm that up.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
I want to firm up the ride and make it so my head lights are aimed a little lower while pulling the trailer. Between my extra fuel tank, generator and the washer/dryer, I'm putting around 4200 lbs in the bed of my truck. The truck is rated for 6000 lbs but I've noticed the extra bounce on some of the roads and I want to firm that up.

Dave,

I have the firestone air bag system with on board compressor and 1 gal. air tank. each bag can be controlled separately, up to 150 psi.

The system makes for a nice level smooth ride. also, with the on board compressure, you can lower and raise your truck,ajust air in the trailer air ride or air up tires,with out going to the gas station.

I've had this system for about seven years, with no problems.

Lillyputz
Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #294

Dave,
I also have the Firestone air bags. I don't have the remote control or a air tank but I did put in dual controls so I can control left and right bags. I have let all the air out going down the road to see if there is a difference as to weather I just spent he money for nothing and I'll tell you if you have a little bucking or think you truck rides pretty good with no air try airing up the bags to about 65lbs or so and what a big difference. Really smooths out the ride a ton. I don't have any bucking but you can feel a big difference in the ride. I feel my best ride in my truck is with Bags set around 60 to 65lbs. The bags are very easy to install. No drilling and it took me around 3 hours to install the bags and air line with Scharder valve out the back in the bumper. Than my compressor came in and this is were you'll spend most of your time figuring out where to install the compressor. This alone to me a day to install because I installed mine inside the truck under the console and then ran all the air lines through the frame into Tee's that I installed in the existing air lines that I install a couple weeks earlier. If you don't want to have a compressor all you have to do is run both air lines out to the back or to where ever and fill from there.
Air bags are money well spent!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #295
Site Team

Thank you everybody for the information. I'll get the system on order this week so I can get it hooked up before the big trip to Maine.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #296

We too have Firestone Ride Rite airbags on our F450. Currently pumped up to 45 lbs and haven't haven't bottomed out yet. The ride is such an improvement over not having them.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #297

i installed some firestone air bags on my dodge dually...very easy to install bout hour and a half..i ran my hoses straight out of my wheel walls very easy to get to and fill. so far I've only pulled my boat using them and they helped..im headed to jersey over labor day so that will be my test with my camper hooked up..
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
This thread is titled "Anything Topic" so here goes...

We spent a few extra bucks to have our 36RL painted. It's really classy looking! A few weeks ago we took it in for the first visit to the shop to have a few minor things done under the warranty. One of the items was the seal between the front cap and the roofing. It seemed to be pulling apart. When the technician worked on the seam the roofing material ripped. Now the service manager says we need to replace the roofing and has moved forward with Crossroads to order the new roof. Only one catch. When the unit was painted the paint design went from the bottom to the very top and is included on the rolled part of the roofing. In other words, there is a 4 or 5 inch section of the roof line on each side that was painted as part of the graphics we paid extra for. Now, they want to replace the roof. The replacement will not have the continuation of the graphics at the top. So, we will have a nicely painted surface up to where the roof is secured on each side and then a white rolled section up to the roof. Not acceptable!! We paid dearly for that paint. In our opinion the new roof should match the one being replaced.

Anyone else encountered this problem???
Update on the painted roofing... this is from the service manager at the dealership where my unit is supposed to get a new roof...

"The side radius metal is removed for this process of putting on a new roof and then reinstalled when we are done. This eliminates the need to paint and have to do any of the graphics. The only thing that will be replaced is the rubber membrane. If you have any questions on this please let me know."

Lot's of questions! Anyone aware of a 'side radius metal' strip on each side of your Redwoods roof? When I look at it, I see a strip of paint on each side of the existing roofing material. If the roofing is changed, the rubber membrane is no longer painted. Am Iseeing this correctly??? Is there something I'm missing??

I have sent my issue to Brian Edmonds as someone suggestedwith no response. Kinda frustrating!

I'm not replacing the roofing until I get assurance that the graphics and paint will not be affected.
The edge of the roof is painted black to match the coach. if they replace the roofing materials, the edge will be white and will have to be repainted black. that is one of the paint problems with ours. in one area, the black paint has peeled off. also. if the side radius moulding is damaged on removal and I think that will happen,the new one will have to be painted to match.

BINGO! The roof was replaced with the proper vinyl material and the sides of the new roof were painted to match the graphics on the unit. My compliments to the "Redwood Rembrandt" who did the work. It looks great!

Kudos to Service Manager Lori Fink and her crew at Ron Hoover RV in Rockport Texas! All the warranty work they havecompleted for us has been well done!! They are highly recommended!!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #299

Something to bring back old memories and also if you have grandchildren something to show really awsome and cool at this time of the yer..... http:biggeek.com/2010/radio-flyer-car/
RW36FB
Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #300

Have been on the roof many times and your problem always perplexed me as to how they would fix it and then paint to match. The radius is under the membrain and thus has to be painted if replaced. It sure is nice to know that someone…your dealership stepped up to the plate and corrected the problem. Good for you. Now it's time to enjoy your coach!