Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Lot's of variables for the groups...

some have 100 gallon fuel tanks, some have 26 gallon, some drive 40, some drive 60 (or more )

some equipment is sufficient, some is not

the crossroads forum has a guy that just got back, may not be all inclusive, but some good points --> http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...5104#post85104

This is a very good overview of what the trip is like and how you should prepare.

I had an older brother and sister-in-law whom made the trip from Indiana in a truck camper 4 times in the 70's and 80's. Also, in 1954 when I was 11, I made that trip with my parents by car. The roads were much worse then than now. One particular stretch, we had 400 miles of dirt road with 40 miles of it being mud. That was in the days before radial tires (bias ply with inner tubes tires). My dad carried two spare tires and a hot patch kit and I remember helping to break down two tires, removing the inner tubes and patching them and then taking turns pumping them back up with a manual hand pump. Sure glad we have 12 VDC operated compressors now days. The roads are much better today but you can certainly run into stretches that are essentially gravel and the driving has to be slow. Be prepared to watch out for stones being thrown by other heavy duty vehicles. The highway construction trucks don't slow down for much of anything.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:44 AM   #42

Looking forward to more discussion... wife and I would love to go to Alaska. Did a tour this summer from Brighton Ontario to NY State, Scranton PA, Boston, Salem, Cape Cod, Gettysberg, Harpers Ferry, Lake Placid, and back home in 3 weeks. Drove from 10-2 most days with 2-3 days rest in between. Talked to several folks that had recently traveled to Alaska with their 5th wheel or coach and they had no issues of concern.
Worked in Norman Wells NWT back in the 80s about 90 miles south of the Arctic Circle. Town was the "Hot Spot" in Canada several days each summer since the sun did not completely set... low 70s to mid 90s with LOTS of black flies.
The June to Sep travel window is about right... would take us a little over 13 days to travel straight thru with no rest days to move from Brighton to Dawson so our trip would start in early May and end in late Sep to give us at least one rest day.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #43

I know I'm coming into this a bit late, BUT you see we just recently returned from a 59 day Caravan from Idaho to Alaska back to Washington.
We had a blast and made some new friends. We've already talked about the possibility of going again, but would do it on our own since we know more of what to expect. We even traveled the "Top of the World Highway", wow what an experience, but once was enough of that, average speed was maybe 30 on it, as it was mostly just dirt and gravel. Other roads varied, but most of the time you did dare go much more that 45 because of the Frost Heaves.
Our Redwood came through with flying colors, but then we beefed up our suspension with the 8K Mor/ryde IS and GY 114s/17.5 tires before we started.
Right now we're in the middle of a 33 day Western Parks Tour and are in Cortez, Colorado for 3 days.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:11 AM   #44

Welcome back Michelle & Ann!

Really glad to hear you journeyed north and had what sounds like a great experience. I hope you will share more of your experience as we work out the details of a Redwood Alaska 2016 Drive North.

I am excited to see all the people here that are interested in going. I'm busy trying to digest the massive amounts of information about a journey here as are Tracy and Vaughn. All I can say is when I started this thread we really wanted to go to Alaska now WE REALLY WANT TO GO TO ALASKA AND I WON'T FORGET CANADA!

I am with you as have also muchmade up my mind before we head north will upgrade to the Mor/ryde IS + 8k axles and "H" tires. Yes "H" tires, for nothing else but peace of mind.

There is some initial discussions of perhaps doing a test run through Colorado some time summer of 2015 perhaps using that time to work together to plan a Alaska 2016 run.

Any details you can share a sure appreciated. Did you go with a group? Did you drive the entire way or enjoy some time on the ferry? How many caravans in your group?

Ok, too many questions, when you have time please details details details.

THANKS
Old 09-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #45

Welcome back! Sounds like you are just having too much fun Enjoy Colorado, it is just turning and is gorgeous!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #46
Site Team

Welcome back ladies! It's been a while since we've heard from you. I'm glad to hear that you had a safe trip and that you enjoyed yourselves.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #47

Welcome back Michelle & Ann,

Good to hear about your journey and looking forward to hearing more?

Are y'all going back to Florida this winter...if so perhaps we'll cross paths!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #48

Thanks for the warm welcome back, although it will still be spotty until November when be settle in for Winter in Florida. After we finish our current Western Parks Tour, we're headed to Albuquerque Balloon Fest, then slowly work our way East.
We did Alaska with a Fantasy RV Caravan, total of 24 rigs (mixed from Road Treks, Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheel, Class Cs and Motor Homes. We did take the Ferry from Haines to Skagway, and what an experience. Had to BACK down the loading ramp as it loads and unloads from the side and with a large rig it was either back on or back off, and since the ramp can be steep (depending on the tide) it was easier backing on and driving off.
There were assorted tires problems, some were told to get new tires before starting, so they have no one to blame but themselves. A few broken windshields and one MotorHome took out a Moose, but again sort of their fault as the Moose crossed the road so then began to pick up speed when the Moose changed it's mind and came back into the road.
We have our Trip Book/Log, which could be used as a guide in planning a trip, the biggest problem I see, would be the number going and finding campgrounds that would have space for everyone. Some we stayed at were very tight and when a tour was in, they generally took up many of the spaces.
Just so everyone knows, it's not cheap. $5.00 Subway Foot Longs were $9.00, our friends paid $9.50 for a gallon of milk, we were forced (due to getting low) $1.99/Liter at one place.
Enough to one night, if anyone would like to post specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them when I can.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #49

if you have never been to the Baloon Fest, you'll love it! Just dress warm for the very cold mornings!
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #50

Any updates from ksaltman or others regarding the proposed 2016 Alaska Trip?
Retired in Dec after 35 years but working again as a consultant to pay off more toys and build up a Trip Chest...
Old 02-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #51

Brad,

Thanks for asking. I haven't done much lately on the Alaska trip because I've been mostly focused on staying warm this winter and exploring Texas.

Having said that my wife and I are still very much planning on an Alaska adventure during the summer of 2016. I know some other people are also on track for the trip.

Was thinking to really get things going we would organize a brain storming session during this years Redwood rally in August. Are you planning on going?

Ken
Old 02-17-2015, 01:15 AM   #52

Need to check our social calendar... got some sailboat racing to do the last 2 weeks of July around Youngstown NY. When is the rally?
Old 02-17-2015, 01:19 AM   #53

August 7,8th and 9th I believe. Shipshewana , IN again (south) Or maybe just the 8th and 9th officially

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:27 AM   #54

We are interested too. I talked to a lady at our campground who said, :One trip you should do is Alaska." She said as long as you take your time roads are pretty good and it was one of the highlights of all her camping trips and she and her husband have been full-time for 20+ years.

Eileen
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #55

We want to do a Alaska trip too but need to retire first so we will have plenty of time and not be hurried.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:15 AM   #56

Hope to be at the rally... racing in Youngstown and Sodus Bay... about an 8 hour commute over a week from Sodus to the RW Rally.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #57

Wife and I took the beauty to Fairbanks last year. It was early in the season, rough trip but do-able.
I would actually recommend it and here is why:
You have the roads to yourself once you hit the al-can. That was a little concerning by our self's but as a caravan it would be fine.
The parks are wide open. The tourist attractions like the Hot Springs is open but deserted.Nothing like swimming in 90` water when its 30° degrees outside. The wildlife along the al-can is amazing, Buffalo, sheep, elk and moose but you can't see them in the summer. The al-can gets VERY busy during the season so what little wildlife there is that hasn't been spooked, you will NEVER get to enjoy as you speed by.
To give an example, we came upon a heard of buffalo (they travel single file along the highway. Quite a sight) and we were able to stop in the middle of the road and take pictures. We sat there for 20 minutes while they filed by. They would turn and look at you as each one passed then continued on down the road.
The RV parks and restaurants that are open are all yours and yes they are some open. We we're able to do 250 to 300 miles a day and have a place to park and eat each night. Just takes planning. The roads can get rough because of the frost heaves but they are marked and you just take it slow. They are mostly clear of snow.
In the summer is road construction season, every summer, all summer. You can't avoid it.
We went in April and returned in August. Took twice as long to come back. Sometimes sit for hours waiting on the pilot car. We had to replan our our itinerary on the way back because a 40 mile stretch took us 6 hours.
If you wanted to do this, I could help with the parks and sights. Might be too late for 2015. I would recommend first part of May.
Oh and dont forget about the northern lights. Can't see them in the summer.
ichabod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #58

Thanks for the update... we live straight north of Rochester on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario. We would need several weeks to get to Dawson City to start this trip without turning it into a marathon that I would hear about for the rest of my life (which she would probably shorten).

This will take significant planning and vehicle/coach prep to get ready for this trip.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #59

Ya, no question the Alaska trip is going to take some significant planning. We are just finishing up a 10k mile journey and are a few days away from getting back to our home base. Over the summer I hoping to get the planning for a Summer 2016 trip going.

I'm really happy to hear so many people are interested in doing this.

More to come in the next few months.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:53 PM   #60

The last 3 issues of Motor Home magazine has articles doing an Alaska trip. Shows the trip routes, sights to see and rv parks. Talks about the negatives in some areas. Looks like it might be a helpful guide.
formulabill is offline   Reply With Quote

« Mild Winter | Xmas »