Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Fuel cards for truck stops

Crazy question. have had problems in the past using debit cards at the truck pumps at truck stops. Always have to pay inside. Question is, is there a fuel card that one can get to pay at the pump without being a CFL truck driver
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

I use our company fleet card.. Its by Wright Express... and it is 50/50 whether I have to go inside or not.... There seem to be no rhyme or reason as to why I have to go in either ??
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Crazy question. have had problems in the past using debit cards at the truck pumps at truck stops. Always have to pay inside. Question is, is there a fuel card that one can get to pay at the pump without being a CFL truck driver
The issue may be security. Both my ATM card and credit card stop working as soon as I am out of my area where I live. I have to call them and let them know that I am traveling. What I find ironic is the CC is American Airlines card which implies I travel. It has definitely gotten harder to use the cards while traveling in the last year.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

On my last trip to Indiana I stopped in Western PA for fuel,,, I had to go in and leave my card with them , I never have to do that ??? Any way , I filled up and left , yup without the card..
By the way , the card has a pin# , so without it , it's useless.. When I got to Eastern PA and needed more fuel , I said-CRAP. my card... I looked on their big map in the station and found where I was last... I called them and they told me It was reported as a robbery.. since I STOLE FUEL???
.anyway , I called the state police , talked to the officer who went and took the report... he went back to the station ( on the PA Turnpike) gave them my PIN # and paid for my fuel... After that he took my card and mailed it to my house.. complete with a hand written card telling me to have a great day.!!! I like cash...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

If your lucky to be in right line there's usually one lane that will accept non trucker CCs, but Im never in that line. Most only accept truck fleet cards/com chek cards. DW hates stopping at truck stops, she doesn't want to operate the nozzle & hates going inside, but she has to do One or the other cause I'm not leaving my card in there with some bimbo/knucklehead behind the counter. We usually wait til we park for the day & then find fuel, most times you can save 10-20 cents per gal by not going to truck stop.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #6

Just another reason to only travel 250-350 miles per day.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #7

I used the Pilot/Flying J card recently mostly successfully. Of about 5 fills, only once did I have to go inside. Plus the discount of 8 cents per gallon.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 AM   #8

Yep, the Good Sam Pilot/Flying J Credit Card. I have yet to find a Station that it wouldn't work at. Insert and remove the card, select Tractor Fuel, select DEF or Skip, enter your control number, fuel up and leave. I make note of price and amount of fuel for my records. When my bill is posted I go into the Pilot site and pay my bill.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 AM   #9

I concur with the Pilot/Good Sam credit card and rewards. It works at any fuel station that accepts pilot rewards card. I seem to have an easier time getting into and out of a Pilot truck stop than, say Love's

Fred
Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Here is another vote for the Good Sam Pilot/Flying J RV card. Use it all the time with no problems. You do have to go inside to get a receipt if you want one.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #11

On our annual transit across the US to southern California and return to Ontario Canada we avoid truck stops and I fuel up in towns after arriving at a campsite and detaching the RW.

We find that we may need to shop or grab some fast food, so fueling up is easy, as stated above we save significant $$ as the fuel price is lower than at the truck stops, sometimes it's also good to ask the campground reception where the cheapest diesel fuel stations are located.

We rarely have a problem using cards at the pump even with our Canadian postal code. When asked for a zip code we use the "work around", for example a postal code of N5H 2V1 becomes a zip code of 52100, a set up developed so Canadians can pay at the pump with our cards. Where I have problems paying at the pump with a card I go to another gas station, I won't patronize retailers who make it inconvenient for me.

I suspect that things will get tougher as chipped card terminals are being phased in in the US, we've seen some teething problems at retailers this past winter (we've had chipped cards in Canada for a decade). Things will also get tougher in Canada for US non-chipped card owners as some gas stations have converted to chipped only terminals at the pumps, US folks have to go to the cashier to get fuel.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the great information
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:19 AM   #13
Dan

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
On our annual transit across the US to southern California and return to Ontario Canada we avoid truck stops and I fuel up in towns after arriving at a campsite and detaching the RW.

We find that we may need to shop or grab some fast food, so fueling up is easy, as stated above we save significant $$ as the fuel price is lower than at the truck stops, sometimes it's also good to ask the campground reception where the cheapest diesel fuel stations are located.

We rarely have a problem using cards at the pump even with our Canadian postal code. When asked for a zip code we use the "work around", for example a postal code of N5H 2V1 becomes a zip code of 52100, a set up developed so Canadians can pay at the pump with our cards. Where I have problems paying at the pump with a card I go to another gas station, I won't patronize retailers who make it inconvenient for me.

I suspect that things will get tougher as chipped card terminals are being phased in in the US, we've seen some teething problems at retailers this past winter (we've had chipped cards in Canada for a decade). Things will also get tougher in Canada for US non-chipped card owners as some gas stations have converted to chipped only terminals at the pumps, US folks have to go to the cashier to get fuel.

I am with you and agree about the chipped cards. The faster the US can catch up with the rest of the world the better every time we go there one of our cards gets hacked. A very poor unsecure system they have

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #14

X6 on the GS Flying J. I just got mine. It also let's you fill up instead of having a limit.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:27 AM   #15

I was told that Bank of America is the worst Debit card to use, due to its denial rate. Once denied it takes an hour on the phone to unlock the card. Just so happens this is the bank I bank with. What I have done is I always try to fuel at the same company nation wide this has helped a bunch. I use About 4 different ones even if I am home.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #16

Well that sucks!!!! I just opened up a new Bank Of America account 2 weeks ago with our FL. address thinking they are all over the place and would be easier. I never use my debit at fuel stations when traveling so maybe not an issue. We always use a CC incase there are any problems. I had my Debit card # hacked once and took 10 days to get the $'s back in my account.

Steve
Old 05-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #17

X2 on using CC. Plus get rewards!
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #18

Our CC is a BocA through Merrill Lynch & have never had a problem using it anywhere for anything.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Have had B of A for 15years and was only denied once while travelling. We now call the bank and let them know when travelling. Only use CC to fuel as we had our pin on our debit card hacked a few years ago getting fuel in New Mexico
Old 05-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #20

Pilot/Flying J card for me too. Never had a problem with it and the fuel discount is nice too.

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote