Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 11:58 PM   #1

Water heater on electric- lukewarm only

Hot water heater is very hot on propane but only lukewarm on electric.
Am I missing something? Thanks.
sheelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:26 AM   #2

Sounds like the T-stat on the electric is on it's way out. Approx $10 part on amazon and very simple to change.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:46 AM   #3

We had the same thing happen to our WH last winter in AZ. This is what I replaced. As M & A said, really simple to fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-2323...tag=incepin-20

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #4

Had that same issue, thermostat was toast because the wire going out from it had rubbed on the steel edge and shorted partially to ground. Common problem.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #5

I’ve had this happen and it was due to the hot water tank electrical element becoming covered with corrosion from the anode Rod. I drained the tank, and flushed it out with a hose. Lots of debris came out. Refilled the tank and all was good.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:10 AM   #6

Thanks Michelle & Ann. Got the part and it was indeed a quick fix! Happy New Year!!
sheelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:04 AM   #7

Hot water heater maintainance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelister View Post
Thanks Michelle & Ann. Got the part and it was indeed a quick fix! Happy New Year!!
just a note u flushed tank bought that tank rinser deal for the hose worked well or the neighbor has one to borrow or make one, and inspected the elect. element or replaced and put a fresh Anode?

calcium and old anode looks like cottage cheese coming out from tank rinsing . if thermostat wire looks cooked by connector it is because of resistance from element bridging with calcium?

maybe 1 1/8th or 1 1/16th ? inch socket and some pipe dope for element i keep a spare in the tool box. a cold or lukewarm shower sucks.

i wire brushed old element clean in the shop and kept it for a backup always shut off power and purge air from tank by faucets before startup.

k
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D.L View Post
I’ve had this happen and it was due to the hot water tank electrical element becoming covered with corrosion from the anode Rod. I drained the tank, and flushed it out with a hose. Lots of debris came out. Refilled the tank and all was good.
Replace element and anode with fresh parts and also the little power switch will fail also 7.00 bucks flush white debris from tank flusher works well purge all air from tank before power up also
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D.L View Post
Drain/flush the water heater a couple times a year while inspecting the anode rod will help prolong the life of all parts.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote