Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

We are getting really close to placing our order for the 38GK. One of the things on the upgrade list are Unaguard Upgrade Awnings for the the main and 2nd awnings. I am not sure if this is important or not. One of the reasons we are planning on ordering instead of buying off the lot, is that I want things that I can't find all in one unit. We received a list of upgrades from the dealer and have spent the past couple of days trying to come up with a final list!

If we do add the upgraded awnings, we can't get the led lights in the awnings. Is that a big deal or not?

We are very new to this whole process, so since we will be living in the RW full time, we want to make sure we get everything we need. I am not big of adding things after it leaves the factory.

Does anyone know about the Outdoor Entertainment Center? Does it include a TV or is it just the setup?

Thanks to everyone on this Forum. You are all such a wonderful source of information! Hopefully one day I will be able to help someone out as well.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

We did that upgrade on our FB (not delivered yet). It seemed like a good idea. I have seen mixed reviews, but decided that there were more pros than cons.

I guess we'll get some string of tiki lights if we want to have some on the awning (;

JJ

Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

The LEDs stick on the side under the awning rail I have them
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

We ordered both awnings with the unigard option. We found that the cover helps protect the awning from sun and weather damage. We just past our 36RL's firstanniversary and they still look new. If the LED lights are important they can be purchased on many web sites.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

we ordered the unigaurd on both awnings as well. True, the factory wont add LED option if you get the unigard option. It must be a compatibility thing.

The ouside entertainment we got also. It does come with a TV (with connections at the ceiling) and the sliding bracket. Now what is going to feed it signal is beyond me.
Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #6

Do with the Outdoor Entertainment, what size is the TV and if the mounting is on the top, does it come out where you can turn the TV to different directions in order to watch? We were planing to add a TV to the basement, but if it is an option then we will just add it.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #7

The outside entertainment center is fed by the same feed as the bedroom
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #8

Thanks Buck

SW117, I wish I knew more but I dont. I've only seen picks. Its not a big TV.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #9

We got our 31SL in May, without the Unigard option. Oops. Does anyone know if an authorized RW dealer can install the Unigard piece over an already existing awning? If yes, are there any gotchas to look out for? Has anyone done this, and were you pleased with the result?
Bklamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

I can't be 100 percent certain, but I believe the unigard is the awning manufactures option, so it would have to be ordered from them. The ones that I have seen, the metal covering is between the awning rail and the fabric. I think to convert the awning, either the fabric would have to be cut and redone to add the unigard, or the fabric replaced with one that has the unigard already attached.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #11

Go to the Carefree Awning site and you can get a price for the Unigaurd roller with fabric. They have about three inches of fabric, then the aluminum cover, and then the awning. Replacing is rather straight forward, but you will need an assistant to hold the other end of the roller.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #12

We opted not to get the unigard primarily because our storage location is covered and unless I go brain dead (which the wife says happens every other day) I won't be hitting anything with it!

So I'll wait until I NEED to replace the fabric and decide if I care enough to replace it then....
Heck, RW may come out with the 45W super space 5er by then and I'll just trade - again...

johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #13

Here is a pic of the Unigard on ours. There is a heavy black fabric piece attached to the awning rail, then the aluminum cover attached to the fabric on one side and the awning on the other. I would suspect I have a shorter awning than one without the unigard.

The unigards look really sleek when rolled up. They match the ends of the awning arms. And they are aluminum, not plastic like I really thought.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:58 AM   #14
S&K

The unit we looked at had the Unaguard Upgraded Awning, but the one they are trying to sell us does not. I was told by my dealer that the Unaguard Awning was being replaced by a new one because Redwood was having problems with it. Should I believe him?

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 AM   #15

Did you notice his nose growing when he told you that? We've used the uniguard awnings, both of them, with no problems for two years. Just more sales babble!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Did you notice his nose growing when he told you that? We've used the uniguard awnings, both of them, with no problems for two years. Just more sales babble!
X2 - Love our unigards, never had an issue with them. Carefree has been using these a long time - would have thought there might have been something about issues published a while ago.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #17
S&K

Unaguard Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
X2 - Love our unigards, never had an issue with them. Carefree has been using these a long time - would have thought there might have been something about issues published a while ago.
I think that given the area that we live in, the Unigard is better for us also.

We went to the dealer today to view and finalize the purchase of our 36FB. I was assured from more than one person that the Unaguard would be installed and that they had the LED light strip. We will see.

Thanks for all your help sorting this out. I really do think it is important to have this shield living in So. TX weather; sun, rain and all.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #18

Ironically when we ordered ours - the unigard was not compatible with the LED lights, so you could have one or the other. It was resolved shortly thereafter and you could get both. Not sure at all what the conflict was.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 AM   #19

We had the same problem, either uniguard -or- LED's...we chose the uniguard.

Now looking at adding the LED's, trying to decide whether to go with the ones in the awning roller or the ones that mount on the side of the coach under the awning.

Any opinions?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #20

We have the factory installed lights in the roller. For convenience it is excellent. Lighting is excellent, illuminates our entire patio. We hav had numerous people stop by and comment on the lights.

Have seen the alternatives, but have no experience with them.

If we were to trade in our 36FL for a new RW, the awning lights would be one of the first options after the safety items.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote