Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #1

Roof balloon

We recently were traveling through the Canadian Maritimes. It seems a roof vent blew off and air got under our rubber membrane and it was ballooning up as we were going down the Highway. We were alerted by the people behind us. My husband went up on our roof to discover the roof pulled out of the cap. No tears or holes. He used eternabond tape to secure so no air or water could get in.
We need a new roof and have decided to do the Flex Armor spray on with a lifetime warranty.
I spoke with Dicor who manufactured our roof and they stated the roof was not properly installed with enough adhesive or installed too short under the cap. I have sent dicor’s response to Keystone who now owns Redwood. The new roof is 7-8,000. Hoping to get an allowance from Keystone. Our extended warranty won’t touch it as it is not mechanical. Trying to decide if I should turn it into our GEICO insurance. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Lynn Yeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:39 AM   #2

As far as I know Alpha Systems is the roof on Redwoods, and it's a TPO material not Dicor, unless Redwood/Crossroads recently changed suppliers.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #3

Michelle is correct.....

This is unfortunately a problem across the board...

A few years back a member here had this problem and that made me to pay attention while driving to other RV's.. It is UNBVELIEVABLE just how many roof balloons we see on every trip....

The first thing I do when getting an RV now is apply a 6" wide piece of eternabond across the front cap seal. This will prevent air from getting under there to begin with. I straddle the middle of the seam so 1/2 is on the cap and 1/2 is on the membrane . . .
Now, that will not help if it was a vent cap, that's a different story.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #4

Depending on the year of your rv you probably have the alpha system like mentioned above. Alpha System does have an 18 year warranty that, in your case, should cover the replacement of the membrane but unfortunately you are outside the labor coverage timeframe.

https://alphallc.us/wp-content/uploa...d-Warranty.pdf

Hope this helps and good luck

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote