Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #81

Hi all!
I am new to this forum, we purchased a 2012 Redwood 38ft RL in March of 2012. We are living full time in it. We started experiencing the "popping" noise around June. We have taken the 5th wheel to several different parks from Washington to South Dakota and now we are in Texas. The noise is getting worse and you actually feel the trailer move when the noise happens.I have read the posts and do not see any definitive results. I do not have any leakage and have recalabrated the leveling system many times.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #82

We had "popping" too, shortening jacks and using tripod support, our popping has stoped. Talking to other owners, over extended jacks are cause sometimes of "popping". It worked for us, good luck!
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #83

We have now had 4 of the 6 jacks replaced. We, too, have shortened the jack extensions and use a jack stand for the tongue. We still have one of the replaced jacks pop, but only when we walk over that portion of the coach.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #84

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

When you say you have shortened your jack extenisions I assume you mean you put blocks under your jacks especially your front pair.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #85

We had the issue with "popping" when we were in Estes Park when we first got our 36RL. What we found is that the wheels under the kitchen slide were off the ground, so this would also mean that ours were probably over extended. We have since moved to Loveland Colorado and the spot is very level and we only have the legs extended 8 to 10 inches, and we have not had any popping sounds since we moved here. The only reason I mentioned our locations, as someone thought maybe altitude might be part of the problem, we don't think so, but could be another cause.
Rooksfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #86

We've had the issue recently while camped at the Lake, the site was very unlevel (front very low) so the front landing legs were fully extended as were the mid-ship jacks and we did have the poping. Haven't had the problem since.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #87

I experience the popping sound on my 2013 36RL. I hate it as it seems to make noise all the time - almost embarrasses me to think that this $130,000+ coach pops almost every time I walk around the coach. Not to mention every time the washer or dryer are on spin cycle. I am starting to look into having a set of electric stabilizing jacks installed in the rear of the coach to try and help stabilize the unit better...

Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #88

Our twin 36rl has the popping sound in the front left here at camp. They are on a slight rise from front to rear. You can almost walk under the front, great for bikes. We have the opposite and our front is so low that you really have to bend down to get into the front bin. We have no popping, and I have placed blocks under all so that the system isn't taxed. I think the system is not strong enough when extended over half for these coaches.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #89

Jay ~ I often wonder the same thing.... is this system truly strong enough for a coach of this size and weight?? Looking at the DRV Elite Suites and Mobile Suites, both of those coaches have a system with much larger legs and landing pads. I really do not like the idea of having to carry blocks around with me all the time to make it so the legs dont extend more than 50%. That was half to reason I traded my old coach in for my new Redwood. Just push the button and forget it. no rustling with wood blocks and landing pads in order to level the coach.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #90

Our 2012 36RE does the same thing. The rear jack on the drivers side pops constantly. Not sure where to go with this.

Rick and Kerry

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #91

Thanks for making my mind feel at ease. I felt funny with all my pads but they work. I was looking at my jacks this morning after my first post and was wondering about lowering the jacks one bolt hole. Hope to get a responce from a Redwood traveler.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #92

I thought about lowering the jacks, but for the most part it does not appear that there is enough slack in the hydraulic lines. Probably would have to drop the belly pan a little to see if there was extra line up there. So far the only time we've had the popping is when we had the front and midship jacks fully extended. I still think that Lippert has changed something as anyone who had there rig retrofitted (us included) with the system by TrailAir never seems to have the problem, but now that Lippert has taken over this popping is showing up on all units with the system (just check any of the other RV forums) so the problem is not confined to Redwoods.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #93

Our's "Pop's" also but I have been around a lot of heavy equipment and they have the same basic systems, just used differently (mostly for digging). Heavy equipment has pistons with the same hydraulic oil that we have and if you ever get a chance to just set by one of these big pieces of equipment you will here the same "Popping" sound. And yes they sometime call it creeping because they have, and you can see it, small leak. But if there is no leaks like our's they still pop. I really think its from the outside temperature having a effect on the hydraulic oil. Warmer temps during the day are going to make the oil in the system expand a little pushing the cylinder pistons out oh so slightly. Creating the "Popping" sound during the day and at night we here this "Popping" sound again. And again I think its from the temps going back down and thus allowing the system OIL to contract allowing the pistons to oh so slightly retract back up. Now the more the temperature swing the more popping your going to have. Some pop more on one side then the other again I think this is because that the sun has heated this side of our units more so then the other sides. Leading to one side popping more so then the other side. I really think temperature is our biggest problem with the popping sound that we all here. When this sound a cures our units don't fall on there noses, there is a popping noise and a very slight movement. Most times we can't feel it. Other times we do but never has anyones coach hit the ground over it. Sometimes we swear its going to but it has never happened. Im going to try something the next time I go out with mine. Im going to put a mark on my pistons at the very bottom of the cylinders after I'm level and try to see what happens during the day. If my theory is correct that line should move farther away from the bottom to the cylinder, but Im not even sure its going to move that much that I can see it or measure it. We might only be talking less then 1/16" but it also could be measurable. Im by no means a expert but I really think this is what is happening and not in just our coaches but everyones that use Hydraulic jacks. Just my 2 c's

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #94
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
Our's "Pop's" also but I have been around a lot of heavy equipment and they have the same basic systems, just used differently (mostly for digging). Heavy equipment has pistons with the same hydraulic oil that we have and if you ever get a chance to just set by one of these big pieces of equipment you will here the same "Popping" sound. And yes they sometime call it creeping because they have, and you can see it, small leak. But if there is no leaks like our's they still pop. I really think its from the outside temperature having a effect on the hydraulic oil. Warmer temps during the day are going to make the oil in the system expand a little pushing the cylinder pistons out oh so slightly. Creating the "Popping" sound during the day and at night we here this "Popping" sound again. And again I think its from the temps going back down and thus allowing the system OIL to contract allowing the pistons to oh so slightly retract back up. Now the more the temperature swing the more popping your going to have. Some pop more on one side then the other again I think this is because that the sun has heated this side of our units more so then the other sides. Leading to one side popping more so then the other side. I really think temperature is our biggest problem with the popping sound that we all here. When this sound a cures our units don't fall on there noses, there is a popping noise and a very slight movement. Most times we can't feel it. Other times we do but never has anyones coach hit the ground over it. Sometimes we swear its going to but it has never happened. Im going to try something the next time I go out with mine. Im going to put a mark on my pistons at the very bottom of the cylinders after I'm level and try to see what happens during the day. If my theory is correct that line should move farther away from the bottom to the cylinder, but Im not even sure its going to move that much that I can see it or measure it. We might only be talking less then 1/16" but it also could be measurable. Im by no means a expert but I really think this is what is happening and not in just our coaches but everyones that use Hydraulic jacks. Just my 2 c's
I tend to agree with you on this but I wonder if synthetic fluid would help and if not how could they tame the noise?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #95

I still doubt that you will be able to see any noticeable movement. We have the Winegard dish on the roof and to be locked in on all the Sats is a fine adjustment. If the jacks were moving enough to be able to measure it would cause misalignment of our dish and loss of some signal or channels, which has never happened. You can try your experiment and I'll be surprised if you can detect any movement of the pistons. Good luck
Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #96

Good morning, have been reading your post concerning the "Level Up" System by Lippert, I am considering retrofitting my 37' Cardinal with the system. With all your problems with the "popping" would you if you had the chance buy the system again, does it level you rig with ease? Or would you now with hindsight say forget it? Is it worth the problems, do the benifits out way the "popping"? please let me know your thoughts as it is not a cheap retrofit.
Badtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #97

Have not had any problems with our leveling system. Would I buy as a retro fit, don't know, but I like it a lot on this rig
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #98

Ditto Campers! We noticed the popping initially but after cycling the Level Up system several timesthose popshave been minimal if at all.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #99

I heard some popping this summer but we moved every few days so the system was cycled a lot. The thing I loved the most was stops for a rest or lunch and I could manually level the coach in just a few minutes so I could open it up just enough to get at the frig and sit down. The first time I did that without the jacks down, the coach moved and I almost soiled my shorts!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtad
Good morning, have been reading your post concerning the "Level Up" System by Lippert, I am considering retrofitting my 37' Cardinal with the system. With all your problems with the "popping" would you if you had the chance buy the system again, does it level you rig with ease? Or would you now with hindsight say forget it? Is it worth the problems, do the benifits out way the "popping"? please let me know your thoughts as it is not a cheap retrofit.

I think the level-up system works very well. The only time I have had a problem was when a 10 amp fuse blew. Once I learned where the fuse was located and replace it, I haven't had any problems since. I hear the popping some but it is so minor that I don't much attention to it. I definitely think it is tempurature expansion / contraction related issue. I don't really think there is a problem to be concerned about.

Based on the comments by the Lippert representatives at the Redwood rally in August, these jacks have a considerable lift margin designed and built into the system.

Edited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote