Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #121

Thanks KWire... Hopefully it will be a simple solution that we can do ourselves and not have to have it done at the dealer.
Mine rarely pops anymore.... usually when the jacks are extended more than half way and the temperature drops more than 20 degrees at night
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #122

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

I wonder if this will be part of a nationwide recall?
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #123

Thanks for the info on blocks under the jacks. We have been on all kinds of surfaces and still had the popping issue. The rig shakes when this happens but stays in level. We are in the mid 80's during the day and the low 40's to high 30's in the night. Popping is very bad during the time that the temperature changes from low to high and high to low. Hope Lippert really has the fix. My wife can't stand the gun shot popping sound in the middle of the night. Thanks to all that post questions and answers.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #124

KWire...I went to the Heartland owners forum you had the link to. From the forum I found that this "popping" has been going on ever sence the system has been in play. Bob Tiedge told someone on the thread that the problem was being worked on and a solution was at hand a very long time ago. I hope Lippert is not blowing smoke and has a way to fix it. That is a LOT of rigs to fix. This matter on the Heartland link is very good reading. If someone reads their posts be sure to check the dates they were posted. Very interesting. Popping as I write.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #125

DonMac, you are correct it has been an ongoing problem with any brand using a Lippert Frame with the Level-Up System, but funny that the original systems installed by TrailAir at their facility don't seem to suffer from the problem (we had our Montana retro-fitted and never had a problem). Seems all the problems started after Lippert bought out TrailAir and starting installing systems. We have experienced it on our RL but not to the extent that some have, again interesting why some seem so much worse than others.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #126

DonMac,

Yep it has been going on for a VERY long time. As msh4771 says ever since Lippert bought out TrailAir. I think that coincides with when they went from a 4-point suspension to a 6-point.

There have been all sorts of ideas proposed by Heartland owners how to stop it. Like using plastic cutting boards under the pads, and building wood pad up under the hydraulic supports so they are extended a foot or less. Some have reported success, some not...

Lippert for a while was suggesting it was air in the lines and had people running the jacks full out and back to "cycle" the system. They had them doing it 5 or 6 times .

Anyway, hopefully they will solve it soon.

Keith

KWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #127
Site Team

My trailer used to pop but it stopped so I thought I was lucky until last week when I found that one of my jacks was leaking pretty bad. Now I'm fearful that I'll have to start all over again with the popping after the jack is replaced.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #128

Dave, the other thing to think about is that Lippert changed jack manufacturers. The rams on the original jacks are grey. The replacements are silver. Cosmetically, they look rediculous next to each other. So obvious that you had one replaced. Something to think about when negotiating with Redwood.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #129

Does Lippert have a seal kit for the jacks? If so, you'd think they would replace the seal rather than the whole jack.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #130

My understanding is that the jacks aren't that expensive (at least for Lippert) and the success of rebuilding them is questionable, so it probably more cost effective for them to just replace the jacks.
Not that this is an answer, but when TrailAir installed the system on our Montana they connected each jack to a machine that pumped hydraulic fluid into the jack and cycled it in and out numerous times. This was done to each jack before it was installed. So the idea of Air may be correct and the numerous cycling before installing purged the air out of the jack, and we never experienced the popping in the Montana.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #131

Well here is one for the books. Last weekend we finished winterizing, set the pin jack/stabilizer and went home. (Everything was off-batts, gas, power closed up and level) We went back to the campgroung this morning to replace a part that I had recieved and thought that something was wrong. The jacks had raised the vehicle to a point where the stabilizer was hanging from the pin by the pad lock. Removed the jack re-energized everything and re-leveled. NO PROBLEM but it came down at least six inches in the front. Funny thing was that there were no spaces between the jack pads and the blocks I have it sitting on. Also when I put the main slides out they both went out at the same time instead of one at a time.HMMM? Anyone had these problems happen?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #132
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Well here is one for the books. Last weekend we finished winterizing, set the pin jack/stabilizer and went home. (Everything was off-batts, gas, power closed up and level) We went back to the campgroung this morning to replace a part that I had recieved and thought that something was wrong. The jacks had raised the vehicle to a point where the stabilizer was hanging from the pin by the pad lock. Removed the jack re-energized everything and re-leveled. NO PROBLEM but it came down at least six inches in the front. Funny thing was that there were no spaces between the jack pads and the blocks I have it sitting on. Also when I put the main slides out they both went out at the same time instead of one at a time.HMMM? Anyone had these problems happen?

I'd be scratching my head on that one. Have you thought about calling a priest and having the trailer blessed?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #133

As you know, when you push "auto level", front jacks will dip down to almost retracted front jacks before it proceeds to level off. And our living room slides slide in and out simultaneously. Ours do, anyone out there that has living room slides slide independently?
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #134

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Our 36FB living room slides come out at the same time
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #135
Site Team

With my RL, both slide will start but then one will hold still while the other slide all the way out. Usually the kitchen slides first and then stops while the other side slides all the way out.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #136
Dan

My main slides start the same but then one will stop until the other one fully closes

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #137

They are built that way. 1 pump for all hydraulic slides. Our bed room and kitchen work like that on the FL. You can isolate by shutting valves in the front closet where the hydraulic system is. There is a manifold there with valves on top. One valve for each slide
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #138

Dave,</span>Emailed Brian and he is out for awhile and recommened we call tech support on Monday. Went to the dealer today and he gave us a blessing until next week when there shop is up and running. His thought was that even though the battery was turned off it could have been bi-passed. Seems that there are some systems which continue to feed when off. Will check thid out next weekend. Toward the end of Dec. we are removing both and bringing them home for the winter and a date with the trickle charger or an upgrade to 29's.</span>
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #139

Well after some cold weather has setteled in here and the temps are not fluctuating 40 pluss degrees the popping has setteled down quite a bit. I have kept a list of temps and as for our rig the popping is caused by wide temp ranges. If it stays cold little to no popping,if it stays hot little to no popping. This is on all types of landing surfaces. Now to what is actually popping,I have no idea. Just an update.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #140
Site Team

I'll be make a trip to the factory this Friday to get the bubble fixed on the side as well as the jack and a few other things. I guess I better winterize it this week before going over but I sure hate to stop using it for the season.

Sort of like the honeymoon.....just one more kiss before we go to sleep