Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #1

New Purchase Inspection List

Looks like we made our decision and are preparing to purchase our new Redwood 3881ES. From reading I have learned how important a walk through inspection can be. Do any of you know where to find a list of what you actually need to check? DH is a mechanical engineer, so he should be able to do this himself. We think a good guide would be helpful so as not to miss something. Any advice or list appreciated!
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #2

Here is a pretty good one. Google “RV pre delivery checklist”. There are many out there.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

First off congratulations on your decision to get a Redwood!

My first advice: don’t let the dealer talk you into bringing the RV back to fix anything found in the PDI. Insist on all repairs being completed before accepting the RV.

I used the same checklist as Highcountry.

I don’t want to start a “runaway” thread but maybe a few recent purchasers can list some of the discrepancies they found on their PDI. This may give Txcowgirl some insight for things to look for.

Some of mine:
Water leak around shower door
A couple gas lines and electric cable bulkhead holes didn’t have grommets
Retainer clip missing on brake line
Water heater wasn’t lighting in gas mode

A few things I found after delivery:
Leaking gray water tank valve
Hydraulic brake fluid reservoir nearly dry, air in brake lines
“Bubble” in bathroom floor
Loose weather strip in a window

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #4

First and foremost congratulations on your purchase.
Found out later when we went camping they did not caulk the shower doors, heard a few others say that also, did it myself, but not before having water running on floor.
Dealer installed batteries, but not best quality, I have since replaced with good ones no problem after that.
You'll have a punch list, but nothing that cant be fixed, and I found easier to do small repairs myself rather than have to go sit at dealer, just don't do anything to void warranty.
Oh yea, most important, have you husband install another cut off switch that will kill all power from batteries if you allow RW to sit for awhile, as switch installed by factory still supplies power to RV for certain monitors and will drain your batteries eventually, its a simple add on and well worth not having dead batteries.
Happy trails to you and your family.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Oh yea, most important, have you husband install another cut off switch that will kill all power from batteries if you allow RW to sit for awhile, as switch installed by factory still supplies power to RV for certain monitors and will drain your batteries eventually, its a simple add on and well worth not having dead batteries.
Happy trails to you and your family.
To follow up with Jeff&Karen, on my RV (I can only address the issues that I have since it seems each RV is set up slightly different) I have a battery cut off switch that does shut off everything except the inverter. The inverter powers the residential refrigerator and will drain the batteries if left on. The problem is the contortions you have to do to shut off the inverter. I just bought a battery cut off switch for the inverter to make things easier.

Also, on a different note, make sure you get the owners manual(s) for everything in the RV. The dealer probably won’t have all the manuals so at least get the manufacture and model number for everything else so you can get the manuals online. The dealer probably will have manuals for what you can see in the RV like the refrigerator, microwave, TV etc. I’m talking about things you can’t see like air conditioners, furnace, water heater, generator, inverter, brake system etc.

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #6

That is SO sad that they're STILL having leaking shower doors, that's been an issue since the 1st RW rolled off the line.
As far as manuals, you'll be just as well off to look up each appliance online by your specific make & model as whatever manuals they supply are going to be generic to ALL rvs not specific to yours.
I agree to look at both batteries to be sure they put 2 identical batteries in place, not 1 new one along with the crappy transport battery.
Unfortunately for the rv business, but DO NOT take your dealers word for anything until you physically put an eyeball on it.
Check that the bag is in the vacuum, filter is in the water filter, both these have been neglected since the beginning also.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
Site Team

I agree with all the above, especially Muddflaps comment about having anything you find in the first walk through fixed before you take delivery of it. As others have said, it's a shame to not trust the dealer but unless they happen to be your best friend and next door neighbor .......

If it were me, AFTER the unit is ordered and when they let you know it's in, I would let the salesman know that you want to do a full pre-delivery inspection and checkover BEFORE signing final papers and taking delivery. That way you've got the sales department involved personally because until you sign papers, it's on their floorplan interest and none of the sales commissions are paid. Amazing what incentive that gives to make sure the unit is right. Give them a few days to check it over before you're scheduled to pick it up.

My stepson just bought a big Cyclone Toy Hauler and we played it this way. Bought it from a known good dealer but also one who is totally backed up on service like most are. We knew if we took it and then called back with a punch list for service it would be months before they could get us in. Salesman balked a bit and said he could do all the paperwork and then we'd do the delivery. Son said " don't think so and there are other Toy Haulers around". we didn't find that much wrong, mostly all little stuff. Biggest was generator was just sitting in compartment and never hooked up ..... at the end of the day, looked at salesman and handed him the list and said "call us when it's ready, and please check the repairs so we don't waste a trip down". Amazing how quickly that punch list was gone through ......
Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 AM   #8

Smile Big Thank Yous To This Redwood Family

Ya'll are just the greatest! All of your replies are filled with such helpful information and suggestions, I can't thank you enough! You've helped make a very scary decision much smoother, and we feel we are going to be able to approach this with way more wisdom.

We sure hope someday we get to meet up with some of our Redwood brothers and sisters in our travels. We understand there is a yearly rally, and while this year it is scheduled the same time as a family wedding, next year we hope to join everyone there.

Somewhere, probably this forum, I saw mention of a sort of maintenance get together in Canton, TX? Maybe I misunderstood, but this is in our neighborhood, and we'd love to go to anything like this to learn more and meet some of ya'll. Is there a schedule of events available someplace?

Again, I can't thank you all enough. I will try to post a photo of our new rig when we get it, hopefully next week sometime.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Terry Cooper, The RV Professor, and his wife Evada bought the Texan RV Park which I think is in Canton. Don't hold me to that though. Terry teaches RV maintenance classes both for the average RVer and also for professional techs. He does a three day basic intro class that is well worth it if you are a new owner and he also teaches a full week long class that goes a lot deeper. I would also join Escqpees, the RV club that is in Texas. Just do a search for Escapees.com. Great organization and they offer all types of RV Bootcamp courses so that you don't make as many expensive learning mistakes $$$ as the rest of us did .. lol.

Also, always remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question. We've all been where you are. Many congratulations, you're gonna love it.

Oh, and I'll share this - the rig we have is the first RV Tracy and I have ever had. I'm a USCG licens d Captain and have a lot of experience with bigger boats but this was our first RV. Tilda, as Tracy named her, has now been towed over 40k miles and through about 20 states so far. We sold the house and moved into her in May of last year.. as I write this we are in Rapid City SD for a week or so as we work our way to Montana for the summer. Wanted to stop in Rapid City to become official South Dakota residents.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #10

I would like to add as a new owner myself of a 3991 rd , try to spend a night or to at the dealer ..I found this very helpful as few things came up that was missed on the pdi...
cheers
Brad
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #11

I agree with Brad. If/when we buy another RV, we will spend a night or 2 at the dealer with an appointment in the morning. We were in a hurry when we picked up our RW and missed some things. Course the dealer was happy to get us gone as soon as possible.

Rick