Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Considering a RW 3881ES

So happy to have found this list. We are seriously considering purchasing a new 2018 RW 3881ES, as we fell in love with the floorplan. However, I have searched and searched for others who have this model to see what they think about the quality, or if they are plagued with problems. I have seen so many scary stories it makes me want to just keep our old 2004 Regal, but we want a more full time-ish RV since we recently retired and now have time to go more. I saw on this forum the warranties on the new rigs are now only 1 year, but my brochure says 3 years, Industries Best structural warranty, and inside it says 2 year limited Redwood Warranty. So hoping for some sound advice. Can't afford to make what could be a costly mistake with part of lifelong savings. We would love any helpful advice. Thanks.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Highcountrybarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 129
You are going to get both ends of the spectrum on this forum. We bought a brand new 2018 3901MB and we have had excellent service from it. Took it back to the dealer one time, had six or eight items fixed. I strongly recommend you look harder for dealer than you do for the Redwood. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world, mine had my coach in and out in 10 days. I got the 2 year warranty and just a few days later they went to the 3 year, oh well, but I also got a ten year extended warranty alongside a lifetime warranty on major systems from the dealer. I am willing to be patient enough to get a few break in things fixed, so for my wife and I, the Redwood is outstanding.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Hadn't seen that floorplan before. It looks really nice, especially for those still working as they have a place to work away from others. One downside I see is the W/D would have to be a combo rather than separate units.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,039
If you read any forum on any make or model you'll find the majority are posting complaints not praises. The great thing about this forum (the ROG forum as well), yea some post complaints also, but most are here to help as much as possible to sort through the problems with solutions instead of pile on more complaints.
Haven't seen this floor plan before, but it's a rv & WILL have problems, hopefully all minor, plus a new floor plan in the mix. So as mentioned shop the dealers service department much more closely than the sales department, they will make the difference even if it cost few more bucks.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Char & Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,005
We just looked at the same model and very nice. AA, I think if wanted there is enough room to install separate units but you have to give up closet space. That is what we would do and add shelving above.

Only negative to me was the office. We LOVE it but to much glass on the entry. If I were working at the desk, I prefer a little more privacy instead of the action going on in the kitchen. Easy fix but didn't pull the trigger yet.

You can't go wrong with a Redwood but the dealer MAKES ALL the difference so do the research and ask questions on their service department and warrantee time frame for repairs.

Steve
__________________

2014 Redwood 36FL and 2015 GMC Denali 3500 DW Duramax
Char & Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountrybarry View Post
You are going to get both ends of the spectrum on this forum. We bought a brand new 2018 3901MB and we have had excellent service from it. Took it back to the dealer one time, had six or eight items fixed. I strongly recommend you look harder for dealer than you do for the Redwood. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world, mine had my coach in and out in 10 days. I got the 2 year warranty and just a few days later they went to the 3 year, oh well, but I also got a ten year extended warranty alongside a lifetime warranty on major systems from the dealer. I am willing to be patient enough to get a few break in things fixed, so for my wife and I, the Redwood is outstanding.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The dealer we chose also offers the lifetime warranty. I didn't know you could get a 10 year extended, that sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for the advice. It sounds like Redwood is standing behind their products.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:57 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
We loved the layout, need a computer area, and I do many hobbies, so loved the desk and fireplace. It just had an elegant ambiance.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:05 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
If you read any forum on any make or model you'll find the majority are posting complaints not praises. The great thing about this forum (the ROG forum as well), yea some post complaints also, but most are here to help as much as possible to sort through the problems with solutions instead of pile on more complaints.
Haven't seen this floor plan before, but it's a rv & WILL have problems, hopefully all minor, plus a new floor plan in the mix. So as mentioned shop the dealers service department much more closely than the sales department, they will make the difference even if it cost few more bucks.
This seems to be the case, it's just such a big decision. My hubby is a mechanical engineer also, and has had experience with our current rv fixing things. We plan on traveling some with my sister, and her husband who are full timers. He's an electronics engineer, worked on sophisticated aircraft as contractor for the military. So I feel fairly confident they can fix many problems, but if you get one with major problems it takes the fun out of it. Such a big decision. Thanks for the feedback.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Great to see fellow Texans!
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
We just looked at the same model and very nice. AA, I think if wanted there is enough room to install separate units but you have to give up closet space. That is what we would do and add shelving above.

Only negative to me was the office. We LOVE it but to much glass on the entry. If I were working at the desk, I prefer a little more privacy instead of the action going on in the kitchen. Easy fix but didn't pull the trigger yet.

You can't go wrong with a Redwood but the dealer MAKES ALL the difference so do the research and ask questions on their service department and warrantee time frame for repairs.

Steve
It's comforting to hear from satisfied owners. We've seen good reviews about the dealer, so hopefully it will make the difference. We just bought the truck for it, a Chevy dually high country 2017, we are loving it. I see several of you who answered my question has a similar one. Gives me confidence we got the right one!
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,874
Steve - when I talked to Tim Cress (Redwood GM) at Tampa, he said that the glass doors were a 50/50 response whether people liked them. He also said they were doing away with the fireplace in the office and setting that area up with another outlet so that printers or towers could go down there. I also suggested that they do a pre-wire for cell and wifi boosters and he liked that idea also.

Tracy and I loved that floorplan too. If we went with it, I would use a 3M product called Frosted Crystal and cover the glass. We used it a lot in the Sign and Graphics industry as it replicates Frosted Glass. A high quality, self adhesive vinyl product. Any sign shop can get it for you. Comes 15",24"30" wide in 10 yd rolls.

That way you'd still have some privacy but would also have some natural light and not feel like a closet.
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,874
And to TxCowgirl - if you order a coach, MAKE SURE to specify the upgrade to G114 Goodyears from the factory and Disc Brakes. And if you're going to tow a lot, seriously budget into the experience a trip to MorRyde in Elkhart to have the IS Suspension installed. Don't think Redwood has gotten to the point yet of being able to offer that as an option in the build. A lot of us are trying .........
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcowgirl View Post
So happy to have found this list. We are seriously considering purchasing a new 2018 RW 3881ES, as we fell in love with the floorplan. However, I have searched and searched for others who have this model to see what they think about the quality, or if they are plagued with problems. I have seen so many scary stories it makes me want to just keep our old 2004 Regal, but we want a more full time-ish RV since we recently retired and now have time to go more. I saw on this forum the warranties on the new rigs are now only 1 year, but my brochure says 3 years, Industries Best structural warranty, and inside it says 2 year limited Redwood Warranty. So hoping for some sound advice. Can't afford to make what could be a costly mistake with part of lifelong savings. We would love any helpful advice. Thanks.
We like ours, but there is always some little something that comes up, with any rig you choose. I would say get all the options you can, day 1, cheaper in the long run. I like that new floor plan w/ the office. Good Luck!
__________________
2015 F350 DRW, 2015 Sequoia SQ38HRL, G614's, Titan Disk Brakes, Trail-Air Flex Air pin box, SRE4000 w/ X-brace, Heavy Duty Shackle Straps w/ Wet Bolts & New Springs.. Now I am done for awhile.
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:39 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
And to TxCowgirl - if you order a coach, MAKE SURE to specify the upgrade to G114 Goodyears from the factory and Disc Brakes. And if you're going to tow a lot, seriously budget into the experience a trip to MorRyde in Elkhart to have the IS Suspension installed. Don't think Redwood has gotten to the point yet of being able to offer that as an option in the build. A lot of us are trying .........

On the equipment list of the unit we are looking at it says it has 8000lb Axles includes H range tires. Is this similar to the ones you mention?
It also lists a Flex Air Pin Box, is this the suspension system? If so, how does it compare to MorRyde? I have heard and seen MorRyde on rigs we looked at before.
I don't see anything about Disc Brakes listed. We do have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually, and I think it has special trailer brakes.
Hubby's not here right now to ask, sorry, he knows about these things.
Thanks for your welcomed feedback. I want to learn all I can.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
MuddFlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcowgirl View Post
On the equipment list of the unit we are looking at it says it has 8000lb Axles includes H range tires. Is this similar to the ones you mention?
It also lists a Flex Air Pin Box, is this the suspension system? If so, how does it compare to MorRyde? I have heard and seen MorRyde on rigs we looked at before.
I don't see anything about Disc Brakes listed. We do have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually, and I think it has special trailer brakes.
Hubby's not here right now to ask, sorry, he knows about these things.
Thanks for your welcomed feedback. I want to learn all I can.
When I bought my 3901WB last June the Goodyear tires wasn’t an available option. I got Westlake H tires. Be advised they have a 62 mph speed rating.

The suspension is MorRyde LRE 4100, a conventional leaf spring setup with a secondary rubber “spring” for additional travel. A fairly good suspension but not as good as the independent suspension.

The Flex Air pin box is pretty nice, it has an air bag and shock absorber to smooth out the connection between truck and trailer. It is not the suspension system under the trailer, it’s the “hitch”.

The disk brakes are an option and would be a wise selection. The “special brakes” on your truck is actually the controller for the trailer brakes and would operate the disk brakes if you get them.

Check out the other Redwood forum, there is an upcoming rally and MorRyde is offering a discount on the IS

https://www.redwoodrvowners .com/
__________________
2018 Redwood 3901WB Autumn Fire
3 A/C, Heat Pump, Dishwasher, Washer/Dryer, Disc Brakes, Onan 5.5kw

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddFlap View Post
When I bought my 3901WB last June the Goodyear tires wasn’t an available option. I got Westlake H tires. Be advised they have a 62 mph speed rating.

The suspension is MorRyde LRE 4100, a conventional leaf spring setup with a secondary rubber “spring” for additional travel. A fairly good suspension but not as good as the independent suspension.

The Flex Air pin box is pretty nice, it has an air bag and shock absorber to smooth out the connection between truck and trailer. It is not the suspension system under the trailer, it’s the “hitch”.

The disk brakes are an option and would be a wise selection. The “special brakes” on your truck is actually the controller for the trailer brakes and would operate the disk brakes if you get them.

Check out the other Redwood forum, there is an upcoming rally and MorRyde is offering a discount on the IS

https://www.redwoodrvowners .com/
Oh thank you so much for the info!
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,986
The H rated tire are a plus, the Flex air pinbox is a plus, the MORryde sre3000, or 4000 ( whichever comes stock now ) is a plus. BUT...
You will still have factory stock springs.. The springs have been showing as a weak link, there have been reports of folks breaking springs.. To avoid that, the BEST option would be to factor in about $6000.00 and have MORryde install their IS system, and their disc brake system... the cost is PRICELESS for the piece of mind you get..
__________________
2020 F-350
2020 3991RD with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #18
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,874
As Joe, Fordtruckguy said, the disc brakes are, in the opinion of all of us who have had both the standard drum brakes and then went to disc, a " must have, I'll never tow without again " option. There is that much difference.

The MorRyde IS suspension is a totally different suspension system for the coach and does away with all of the springs and bushings and stuff .
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 101
I agree. Just had the IS and disc brakes installed and can definitely recommend both. There is no comparison between the standard brakes and the disc brakes.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
And to TxCowgirl - if you order a coach, MAKE SURE to specify the upgrade to G114 Goodyears from the factory and Disc Brakes. And if you're going to tow a lot, seriously budget into the experience a trip to MorRyde in Elkhart to have the IS Suspension installed. Don't think Redwood has gotten to the point yet of being able to offer that as an option in the build. A lot of us are trying .........

You have all been so helpful. So excited, a closer look at the brochure lists these items under Construction: Chassis:

Custom FIT Chassis
Falcon 12"/10" I-Beam Drop Frame
Flex Air Pin Box
Flacon hydraulic Slide out System w/Manual Override (Main Slides)
Falcon 8,000 lb Axles
MORryde LRE 4100 suspension system
6-point Hydraulic Jacks w/Auto leveling
MORryde Lift Assist Steps
Falcon 2" (3000 lb.) Receiver hitch
17.5 H rated tires w/Spare

I guess sometimes we girls focus on all the other stuff, so I didn't notice all the above until you guys were mentioning what to look for. DH gets back in today, he probably already knows, but just in case I'll point this out how good it is to have these features.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×