RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

New vs Used

I stumbled across a new 2019 3881MD, which has a den in the middle. This layout is our ideal but is not available until 2018 and up. MSRP is $123K selling for $77K. Based on this MSRP we will have to do a bunch of suspension and add generator.

I would not buy it, as it stands, for this price because of all the additional things we need but might be able to negotiate everything in for an overall good price. All the other units we are looking at are 2015-2016. Some have pretty much everything added but none are the ideal layout.

Layout aside would you do the 2yr old new one or a used one that is ready to hit the road and well taken care of and has had everything replaced/repaired as needed. Has been keep in like new condition. I’m seeing lots of concerns with problems with the 2017 and newer. I’m not opposed to used at all. Only reason I would even consider the new is the preferred layout.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, Chris
Chris and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #2

I would not do a new 2019 that has lot rot for two years. If I did consider it I would expect to get one screaming deal. You would get all the issues of a new RV and the issues of being two years old already. I would think you would be better off with a used unit that has been upgraded and taken care of.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #3

I agree.....2 year old "new"....does not mean it does not have issues (can be serious) from sitting around....The sales yard/people do nothing to keep it up...could be water damage (most common)...tire rot...etc
A great cared for used unit that someone has upgraded is always a better option...unless the floor plan is a deal breaker

good luck
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:33 AM   #4

go with the 2 year old "used" HOPEFULLY with all the issues worked out...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote