Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #1

New vs Used

I stumbled across a new 2019 3881MD, which has a den in the middle. This layout is our ideal but is not available until 2018 and up. MSRP is $123K selling for $77K. Based on this MSRP we will have to do a bunch of suspension and add generator.

I would not buy it, as it stands, for this price because of all the additional things we need but might be able to negotiate everything in for an overall good price. All the other units we are looking at are 2015-2016. Some have pretty much everything added but none are the ideal layout.

Layout aside would you do the 2yr old new one or a used one that is ready to hit the road and well taken care of and has had everything replaced/repaired as needed. Has been keep in like new condition. I’m seeing lots of concerns with problems with the 2017 and newer. I’m not opposed to used at all. Only reason I would even consider the new is the preferred layout.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, Chris
Chris and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

I would not do a new 2019 that has lot rot for two years. If I did consider it I would expect to get one screaming deal. You would get all the issues of a new RV and the issues of being two years old already. I would think you would be better off with a used unit that has been upgraded and taken care of.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

I agree.....2 year old "new"....does not mean it does not have issues (can be serious) from sitting around....The sales yard/people do nothing to keep it up...could be water damage (most common)...tire rot...etc
A great cared for used unit that someone has upgraded is always a better option...unless the floor plan is a deal breaker

good luck
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:33 PM   #4

go with the 2 year old "used" HOPEFULLY with all the issues worked out...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:41 AM   #5

New or used

From my experience with a 2016 39mb I wouldn't consider either one. Being a retired teamster driver I am just giving you mutual respect and hopefully forewarning you of considering how you invest your hard earned money. Mine was junk and was lucky to get rid of it before it completely self distructed.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #6

And yet my 2016 38RL was awesome !

Only maybe 2 warranty issues, 1 was the awning was rolling on the sides and Carefree replaced and paid for installation... and I forget what the other one was ??? very minimal, that is exactly WHY I went with a 2020 Redwood when my last one was totaled.

I truly believe that a dealer can make or break your experience.

Good Luck with your decision
Old 12-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #7

I am with Truck Guy. I bought our Redwood after much research and knew of what issues we could have. I immediately fixed the issues I could and rest was maintance. Yes we had a few issues while we had it but what RV does not have some issues. Most of the serious issues I blame myself for. Only reason we got rid of the RW was to go to something smaller since we are not full-timers and my wife wanted to go back to motorhome.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #8

Go with the one you like. You can have luck with either one or bad luck for that matter.
But if you settle for a floor plan that you didn’t like you always be wondering what it would’ve been to have the other one.
That’s my opinion
Willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #9

I bout a new 2020 Redwood in 2020. I am a full timer have been for about 6 years now. I would not recommend buying a new Redwood of any kind. I have had nothing but problems with mine. It's been in the shop just as much as I've been in it. Warranty is horrible won't cover alot of things I wouldn't buy another keystone product.
Bmlocal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmlocal83 View Post
I bout a new 2020 Redwood in 2020. I am a full timer have been for about 6 years now. I would not recommend buying a new Redwood of any kind. I have had nothing but problems with mine. It's been in the shop just as much as I've been in it. Warranty is horrible won't cover alot of things I wouldn't buy another keystone product.
I'd highly doubt that you'd have found ANY make, model or brand any better during the pandemic period.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:39 AM   #11

Oh I agree with you on that. Mine was actually made in 2019 pretty pandemic lol. Or at least before it got insane. I did look at alot of different campers. My wife and I looked for about a year before we finally decided on one. Lately we've been finding out we might have decided wrong
Old 03-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #12

I have found that the selling Dealer can make or break the warm and fuzzy feeling of a new camper... It's how they handle the issues, small or large...

I have to say that my 2020 ( also made In 2019 ) has had a few issues... between the dealer, and Keystone, YES I said KEYSTONE they have been handled.

The original folks at Redwood had input with the new Keystone folks on some of the issues....
Old 03-17-2022, 02:07 PM   #13

Oh yeah. I am not working with the selling dealer. I bought out of state I'm bout 8 hours from the dealership I bought it from. I just went to the closest dealership to me that does keystone warranty work.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmlocal83 View Post
Oh yeah. I am not working with the selling dealer. I bought out of state I'm bout 8 hours from the dealership I bought it from. I just went to the closest dealership to me that does keystone warranty work.
That explains quite a lot about your experiences!
Unlike buying a new car/truck rv dealers are in NO WAY obligated to do any warranty work or arbitration on your behalf on any rv they did not sell, they might be willing to "fit you in" around units they did sell but typically yours will always fall to the bottom of the list. Honestly that dealer had the rights to simply have told you to take a hike back to where you bought it.
Buying from a dealer far away may save a few $$$ but may, as in your case, create a bad situation trying to get any warranty issues resolved or help with those issues from the manufacturer by that dealer. This is with every rv dealer not just Keystone/Crossroads/Thor.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
That explains quite a lot about your experiences!
Unlike buying a new car/truck rv dealers are in NO WAY obligated to do any warranty work or arbitration on your behalf on any rv they did not sell, they might be willing to "fit you in" around units they did sell but typically yours will always fall to the bottom of the list. Honestly that dealer had the rights to simply have told you to take a hike back to where you bought it.
Buying from a dealer far away may save a few $$$ but may, as in your case, create a bad situation trying to get any warranty issues resolved or help with those issues from the manufacturer by that dealer. This is with every rv dealer not just Keystone/Crossroads/Thor.

I did the same. Bought from a dealer in VA. and lived in CT. at the time. I got so frustrated with the local dealer and lets say I learned a good lesson.

Hooked it up and drove to the Redwood service center in ID from CT. and left it in the parking lot until they fixed it. I'm sure this would not work anymore since Keystone is involved. They fixed every problem I had at the time and a few I didn't even know about.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
I did the same. Bought from a dealer in VA. and lived in CT. at the time. I got so frustrated with the local dealer and lets say I learned a good lesson.

Hooked it up and drove to the Redwood service center in ID from CT. and left it in the parking lot until they fixed it. I'm sure this would not work anymore since Keystone is involved. They fixed every problem I had at the time and a few I didn't even know about.

And isn't that the trip that cost you a converter on your pick up truck?
Old 03-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
And isn't that the trip that cost you a converter on your pick up truck?
Good memory joe!!!
Yes, sitting in hotel on my way back in Indianapolis and someone wanted my exhaust system more then me. 5 days and $4,200 later I was on my way back home.🥴
Old 03-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #18

Steve,

My memory is like Cliff Calvin's, just do not ask me anything important from last week !

It's like my brain is full of useless junk says my wife...
Old 07-04-2023, 01:20 AM   #19

For all the complaints I've heard about this model or that, we bought our 2017 36RL and have been very happy with the quality. I just replaced some slide seals and the transition strip wall/roof with SteeleRubber products that will last. The auto paint job is so good. A couple of issues when we first purchased, but Redwood paid a mobile tech to address those since we were on the road. But, other than that, we're very happy with our RW. We winter in this 6 months a year and traveled from WI to FL and periodically TX for the past 6+ years. Because of the traveling, we had the MorRyde IS installed with quality Goodyear tires. If you're going to travel any substantial distance, that's just smart investment. We sold our WI home last Nov., and have been living in this full time until our new home is built. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another RW. We looked at several at the Tampa RV show in Jan. and we wouldn't hesitate to purchase another RW when the time comes. Impressed with the 4120 GK floor plan.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote