Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Interesting, forced into yearly inspection at your cost to keep warranty! Monaco used to perform inspections free!. Does anyone find this troubling? Especially at the cost of trailer we paid! Crossroads should pre worn potential buyers before spending all the money. Your thoughts on this?
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #2

How about yearly inspections and when dealer finds sealer issues, Redwood considers them "your responsibility" even after less than a year?

Fair warning... some dealers see the inspection as a golden profit opportunity and search high/low for ways to make money. Redwood won't authorize any seal-oriented repairs after the inspection. The dealer charged me a couple hundred $ for this. They even charged to put air in my tires... Ugh
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #3

Our dealer clearly stated the requirements for maintaining the warranty prior to purchase.
To maintain the tow vehicle, or any vehiclewarranty we must perform the OEM required maintenance and inspections, at our cost. Why would the RV be any different.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

Because on most quality purchases, the manufacturer stands behind the product for a least a year. I didn't install the sealer... they did. Further, Redwood has a 2/5 Warranty... My unit is only 11 months old.Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Yearly inspections for five years is a dealer incentive. Not covered under warranty prior to one year end and you must pay again ? Do you have an extended warranty that will fix problems after deductable that you have paid for and what does it cover? Why take it in for the 5 years if you have an extended warranty that will take care of the problems after your deductable. One should be checking these things anyway if able. Just look at what the one year required inspection looks at. Really. Three cheers for the Redwood cult.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac

Yearly inspections for five years is a dealer incentive. Not covered under warranty prior to one year end and you must pay again ? Do you have an extended warranty that will fix problems after deductable that you have paid for and what does it cover? Why take it in for the 5 years if you have an extended warranty that will take care of the problems after your deductable. One should be checking these things anyway if able. Just look at what the one year required inspection looks at. Really. Three cheers for the Redwood cult.

You have some valid points.

Thanks.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:

x2

Lillyputz
Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

My quess is, after they remove the roofing for sheeting repairs. they could do there inpection after roof re-installed and they re-sealed the unit. Should be free, right.

Lillyputz
Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #9

Lilyputz,

Did you have a problem with staples popping up or sheathing issues?

Just curious.

Dave

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #10

Isn't any issue found on my REDWOOD by the dealer, my issue an I have to PAY to get it fixed? Regardless of warranty! So what does the warranty cover; anything?Edited by: RifRaff
Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #11

And if other items need fixing?
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

Huh? Don't we have a warranty for everything but "wear items" like tires & brake pads?Edited by: 5th_Time

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:

Suggest reading the small print on the extended warranty. In our case the extended warranty states it may duplicate portions ofthe warrantyon offer from the OEM. The extended warranty only covers failures in excess of the OEM warranty. In addition, in situations where the OEM refuses to honour a warranty claim the extended warranty will not cover it either.

Therefore, ifwe do not conduct the owner responsibilities as outlined in the Redwood Owner's Manual and Redwood deny a claim, the Extended Warranty that we have will not cover it.

During our research the other plan we reviewed had a similar clause.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8545
Interesting, forced into yearly inspection at your cost to keep warranty! Monaco used to perform inspections free!. Does anyone find this troubling? Especially at the cost of trailer we paid! Crossroads should pre worn potential buyers before spending all the money. Your thoughts on this?
Yes these coaches are expensive. To put it in perspective this coach cost more thantwicewhat I paid for my first house in UK in the 70's. Therefore, an excellent case for buyer beware.

As a potential purchaser I firmly believe it is my responsibility to research the life cycle costs, warranty, OEM quality, etc. Prior to purchase we did thorough research and the information on the owner's requirementsis readily available. Being our first RV purchase I wanted to know what the warranty entailed and the regular maintenance requirements and costs. Started on the website and it wasn't much help - really only a glossy sales brochure, no small print.

Talked to the dealer and although new to the Redwood brand they gave me more details on what is covered, and noted that the owner must get an annual inspection conducted. Received more information, but still not the details I wanted. The dealer provided us with a copy of the Redwood Owner's Manual.

All the details I wanted are clearly outlined on the very first page, with additional points under Owner's Responsibilities, which is the first item on the index. Yes, Redwood state that any problems with the sealant is at the owner's account. The warranty exclusions are also clearly stated in the section following the Owner's responsibilities. I read the requirements and deemed them acceptable, so we elected to proceed with the purchase.

If you know the owner's requirementsand warranty exclusionsbefore purchase how can you complain after purchase. If you didn't know the requirements before making a major purchase like this I suggest it should be a learning experience.

In practice, everything is open for negotiation. We have experienced a leak in one of the clearance lights, which the manual states is the Owner's account to reseal. Our dealer and Redwood made good on this defect. I also note the recent post from Brad, who has an excellent dealer who performed extensive work at zero cost.

In summary, I know the worst case and accept the potential costs, however in reality through building a relationship with the dealer and RW I hope for the best and have been extremely satisfied to date. Just my opinion.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #15

Well, I guess we'll find out Friday. Have an appointment for our 1st annual inspection, we'll see actually what in entails and what they charge. Depending on the out come, it may be our last inspection because our Frame warranty will become null and void next month after the Mor/ryde IS install, a Lippert thing, not RW, but even so I still think RW should stand behind things since we purchase from them not Lippert. Only time will tell.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

Well, I guess we'll find out Friday. Have an appointment for our 1st annual inspection, we'll see actually what in entails and what they charge. Depending on the out come, it may be our last inspection because our Frame warranty will become null and void next month after the Mor/ryde IS install, a Lippert thing, not RW, but even so I still think RW should stand behind things since we purchase from them not Lippert. Only time will tell.

I will be anxious to here you experience as you have an insight I appreciate.

Good luck!
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

Well, I guess we'll find out Friday.Â* Have an appointment for our 1st annual inspection, we'll see actually what in entails and what they charge.Â* Depending on the out come, it may be our last inspection because our Frame warranty will become null and void next month after the Mor/ryde IS install, a Lippert thing, not RW, but even so I still think RW should stand behind things since we purchase from them not Lippert.Â* Only time will tell.
Michelle, don't surrender that warranty yet. Unless a failure is a direct result of your mod, it should still be covered. If you listen to Lippert, the warranty was over when Redwood drilled the first hole.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

John 8545 and Mhs4771

Look at page 3 on the RW owners guide and that tells you what exactly is entailed in the inspection...Anything else they find should be done under warranty...As we have seen in some of these forum issues even those who had there's done at the factory got other items fixed under warranty...should be no different at the dealer..If dyou have a problem with the dealer call Ron Howard or Leonard Nielson ...Take their numbers with you to the inspection and call from there if somethding happens that you don't believe to be correct...I would even get on the roof with them befoe the inspection to check for possible sealant problems
Edited by: RollsRoyce
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Site Team

I called a dealer that I did not buy my trailer from and inquired about the annual inspection (Collier RV in Rockford IL). I have an appointment there this next Friday. They said the inspection would only take 1/2 hour and it's free. If they find something wrong they'll fix it at a fee or I could fix it myself.

As for paying once a year to have an inspection.....how is that any different than me having to have service work done on my F350 or the warranty is void? The auto industry has been doing this for years to maintain a warranty.

If I don't show records of my transmission being maintained, oil changed, fuel filter changed or differential fluids being changed my warranty is void. Because of some of the work I did on my truck, the warranty is now void anyway but I didn't care because I have confidence in the truck. I've never had an RV that I didn't re-caulk the roof on anyway after a year as a precaution.

In my opinion...I worry about stuff that really matters and I think there's a lot of sh*t being stirred up about this over nothing.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Michelle and Ann Take some of these warranty statements passed on from other RWers who have already done their inspections such as the one just posted by BradPAjax which even shows unneccessary inspection items that were done, according to the inspection form on page 3 of the owner's guide. Ask why they charge if they do.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote